The blocks, advanced cases, core and specialist clinical placements are designed to allow you to develop the competencies as described by the GMC in their document Tomorrow’s Doctors (2009).
The programme will also offer you the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and attitudes to enable you to be the doctor required by patients and the NHS as we move through the 21st century. Across all four years of the programme you will be developing the skills we believe will make you a doctor who is flexible enough to work within an ever-changing healthcare environment.
The Professionalism and Personal Development strand is designed with that purpose in mind. In this part of the course, you will have the opportunity to develop in the following areas:
- Managing change and uncertainty
- Managing complexity
- Patient safety, including understanding how medical errors occur
- Leadership and management
- Time management and task prioritisation
- Becoming an effective teacher
- Managing your own wellbeing, developing resilience to stress
- Reflective thinking
- Learning to learn effectively