Prof. Ken Lewtas
PhD, CSci, CChem, FRSC
Fundamentals of phase changes, especially crystallization.
Polymer science, chemistry and processing. The creation and use of novel polymers and polymer additives to improve polymer properties and processing.
Career History & Selected Publications
(coauthors are given where applicable)
U of Liverpool / Roche Pharmaceuticals:
- Abraham & Thomas. NMR investigation into complex formation between psychotropic drugs and aromatic solutes. J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2, pp1964-71, 1977.
Esso Chemicals (UK):
- Lit: Beiny & Mullin. Crystallization behaviour of nC32 from hydrocarbon solution with polymeric additives. J. Cryst. Growth, 102, 4, pp801-6, 1990.
- Lit: Bennema, Liu & Tack. Morphology of orthorhombic long chain normal alkanes: Theory and Experiment. J Cryst Growth, 121, 4, pp679-96, 1992.
- Patent: Tack & Brazier. Glycol ester flow improvers for distillate fuels. USP 4464182.
- Patent: Tack. Additive combinations and fuels containing them. USP 4261703.
- Patent: Specific crystallizable polymers for middle distillate compositions with improved low temperature properties. USP 4661121.
- Patent: Improved fuel additives (crystal fitting). WO88/02393.
- Patent: Rossi, Rehrer, Oswald, Tack. Additive combinations and fuels. USP4546137.
- Patent: Lehmann, Mears, Wiggins. Testing apparatus and method. USP5117679.
Exxon Chemical (UK & USA):
- Lit: Roberts, Docherty, Clydesdale. Modelling the morphology of molecular crystals in the presence of tailor-made additives. J. Cryst. Growth, 141,3-4, pp443-50, 1994.
- Lit: Lehmann. Evolution of diesel cold flow - the next frontier. SAE, 890031, 1989.
- Lit: Book Chapter: Crystallization. Habit modification and Growth. In Advances in Industrial Crystallization, Garside, Davey & Jones, Eds., Butterworth-Heinemann, 1991.
- Patent: Block. Additives for oils (biofuels but more general). EP629231.
- Patent: Davies, Lombardi. Oil additives and compositions (biofuels). USP5743923.
- Patent: Bland. Novel styrene containing polymers. Oil and fuel oil compositions. EP0613493.
- Patent: Bland. Novel Comb-like polymers. Additives for distillate fuels and distillate fuels containing them. US Patent 5478368.
- Lit: Roberts & Clydsdale. Computational modelling study of the growth morphology of normal alkanes and its mediation by “tailor-made” additives. Mol Cryst Liq Cryst., 248, 1, pp243-76, 1994.
- Lit: Book Chapter: Schriver, Patil & Martella, A fullerene route to fuel additives. In Crystal Growth of Organic Materials. Myerson, Green & Meenan Eds. ACS, 1995.
- Patent: Schriver, Martella & Patil. Substituted fullerenes as flow improvers. USP5503643
- Patent: Patil, Francisco & Fang. Polymers having dihydroxy moieties. USP5712231.
- Patent: Peiffer, Lundberg & Wright. Copolymers of ethylene and α-olefin macromonomers useful as fuel and lube additives. USP 6100224.
- Book: Creton & Shull. Molecular architecture…response and performance of pressure sensitive adhesives. Ch9 in Polymer Thin Films
- Patent: Clark, Shorrock, Garcia, Wilson. Petroleum resins and their production with a supported catalyst. EP1210382
- Patent: Bons & Stuyver. Adhesive compositions and selection thereof. USP7210339
- Patent: Lechat, Georjon, Marin, Delme, Myers, Gibert. Adhesives with improved die cutting performance. EP1299495
- Patent: Lohse, Karandinos, Datta, et al. Polypropylene based adhesive compositions. USP 6747114
- Patent: Schauder, Lierde, Schroeyers. Polymer compositions and manufacture thereof. USP8236878
- Patent: Van den Bosche. Heat sealable compositions and uses thereof. USP. 7495048.
- Patent: Vanderstappen, Van den Bosche. Protective films. WO2003/039860.
- Patent: Macedo, Van den Bosche, Schroeyers. Improved surface treatment of polymeric articles. EP1769027
- Patent: Kuo, Chien. Polypropylene films. USP7314901.
- Patent: Gallez, Jourdain, Reynolds, Stella. Elastomer containing aromatic resins. EP1259574.
- Patent: Macedo & Shutt. Adhesive components and process for manufacture. WO2003/025038.
- Patent: Lohse, Georjon, et al. Alpha-olefin inter-polymers. USP7067603.
- Patent: Abhari, Sims, Tse, et al. Polyolefin compositions and articles made therefrom. USP7700707.
- Lit: Camp, Farrow, Dowding. The effects of surface curvature on the adsorption of surfactants at the solid-liquid interface. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2013,15, 11653-11660
- Patent: Waterson, Wright, Theaker, Scott, Kay. Additives for fuels and oils comprising functionalized di-block copolymers. EP12175622.5-2104.
Lewtas Science & Technologies, UoWarwick, UoEdinburgh (UK): ( www.lewtas-scitech.com )
- Lit: Camp, Bradley-Shaw, Dowding. Glycerol Monooleate Reverse Micelles in Nonpolar Solvents: Computer Simulations and Small-Angle Neutron Scattering. J. Phys. Chem. B 2015, 119, 4321−4331.
- Lit: Camacho-Corzo, Roberts, More. The crystal morphology and growth rates of triclinic n-docosane crystallising from n-dodecane solutions. J Cryst Growth, 416, 47-56, 2015.
- Patent: Georjon, et al. Polypropylene based compositions, U.S. Patent No.: 8,383,731