Congratulations on achieving your place at Warwick Chemistry! We look forward to meeting you in September and helping you settle into University life. As a new student, you will be assigned a Personal Tutor who will support and guide you during the course of your studies, as well as a student mentor who will be able to share their experience and answer any questions you may have about being a student here at Warwick.
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any queries in the meantime!
You don't need to buy anything for your course - we will give you everything you need including access to electronic textbooks, a laboratory coat, safety glasses and a molecular modelling kit. However, if you do want to make a start on some background reading over the summer, we recommend Maths for Chemists by Martin Cockett and Graham Doggett, 2nd edition.
ChemSoc Meet and Greet, Monday 23 September 12:30-1:30pm, B2.02/B2.04/B2.05, Science Concourse
Come along for some free pizza and a chance meet ChemSoc as well as many other Chemists, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the course or even just university life itself!
Welcome to Warwick Chemistry, Tuesday 24 September, 9-10am, L3, Science Concourse
A warm welcome and introduction to Year 1 with the Head of Department and Director of Undergraduate Studies. In attending this event, you will become more familiar with what is expected of you and what you can expect from your course at Warwick. There will be friendly faces to help you with any questions you might have, and it is a good opportunity for you to meet new course mates.
Orienteering, Tuesday 24 September, 10-11am, meet on Science Concourse
The Chemistry department would like to offer you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with locations within the department and across campus. It will be extremely useful to you throughout your time here.
Library Induction, Tuesday 24 September, 11am-12noon, Woods-Scawen Room, Arts Centre
An introduction to library facilities with the Chemistry Liaison Librarian, Chris Vernon. This session will be helpful in explaining how this all works and you will have the chance to ask any questions that you may have.
This is a great opportunity for you to get to know your fellow students and staff, and to learn about problem-solving in teams, one of the transferable skills you will use as part of your course. The event will be held on the Westwood Campus, and some of these activities will take place outside so please dress accordingly.
Evening Social, Thursday 26 September, 7pm onwards, Chancellor's Suite, 2nd Floor, Rootes Building
Come along and meet fellow students and staff from the Chemistry Department! Drinks and snacks will be provided, plus the bar will be open if you wish to purchase extra drinks.
ChemSoc are our award-winning student society who will be on hand to help you settle in and make the most out of your time at Warwick. Before you arrive at Warwick you will be assigned a friendly student mentor, who will contact you to introduce themselves in September so you will be able to ask them any questions you may have before you arrive. You will have the opportunity to meet your mentor during your first couple of weeks at Warwick.
ChemSoc's flagship event is ChemCafé which takes place every Monday, providing an informal environment in which to meet new people, seek help with chemistry-related issues, and participate in skills workshops. ChemSoc also run regular social events, academic talks, conferences and a popular outreach scheme. Come along to their Welcome Week sessions (below) and check out their website to find out more about how you can get involved with ChemSoc activities!
|Meet and Greet||B2.02 and B2.04/5||Monday 12:30|
|IKEA trip||B2.02 and B2.04/5||After the M&G|
|Big STEM Social||Copper Rooms 2||Monday 8pm|
|STEM Football Tournament||Sports Pitches||Tuesday 3pm|
|Leam tour||Meet at bus stop||Friday 4pm|
|Meal in Leam||Millenium Balti||Around 7pm|
With all those Welcome activities your first few week at Warwick will be very exciting, but possibly a little overwhelming. We want you to feel a part of our supportive departmental and University community. Chemistry's Senior Tutors, personal tutors and Director of Student Experience are all here to put your wellbeing first. Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way. We encourage you to attend some of the Wellbeing Welcome events:
- Maximising your time at Warwick – a wellbeing talk every new student is invited to. This session will run every day in Welcome week from 2-3 pm at the Oculus on Monday, and the Arts Centre Tuesday-Friday. We really encourage you to attend one of the slots and you are welcome to choose whichever one works best for you.
- Take a break – an informal way to meet Wellbeing team, who will be out on the grass in front of the Senate House every day during Welcome week from 11am- 3pm. Just come along to say hi, have a chat, grab a tea/coffee and find out what the team offers.
Visit Wellbeing at Warwick to find out more about the activities, events and support available at the beginning of the year and throughout your time at Warwick.
- Welcome Week 2019 - Welcome Week will take place Monday 23 - Sunday 29 September and is open to all first year students - whether you are Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Home, EU or International.
- International Students - please see the helpful checklist with information about what you will need when you arrive in the UK.
- Accommodation - Warwick Accommodation manages on-campus halls of residence and off-campus properties in Coventry, Kenilworth and Leamington Spa.
- Arriving on Campus - Undergraduate Arrivals Weekend takes place on 21-22 September 2019. You will be sent more information about this once you have accepted your offer of accommodation.
- Complete your enrolment - If you haven't done so already, visit Enrolment hub to register fr your course and your student ID
- Start getting to know the department - Check out our staff
- Looking For More Information? - Look through the University Welcome Pages.