My research revolves around Human Factors in Natural Language Processing, which involves interdisciplinary research in NLP and HCI, furthering understanding and methods for the analysis of text and conversations online with an awareness of how people interact with information as well as with one another. Examples include leveraging online data (social media, web, open data) to model, track and understand real world phenomena, and furthering approaches to mitigate the vulnerabilities of the Web and social media, such as hate speech, misinformation and inequality. My work involves research in natural language processing, social media mining and computer-supported cooperative work, amplified by an interdisciplinary perspective involving social sciences such as journalism, sociology and psychology. I've published over 80 peer-reviewed publications, including 25+ journal publications. See my profile on Google Scholar.
I am the recipient of a best paper award at the flagship conference on Human Computer Interaction (CHI), have guest edited two special issues for top journals (Information Processing & Management, Online Information Review), co-chaired eight workshops at international conferences, and served as a PC member for venues such as WWW, ACL, CHI and ICWSM, and a senior PC member for ACM Hypertext.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
Full list of publications here.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga. A Longitudinal Assessment of the Persistence of Twitter Datasets. JASIST. To Appear.
- Elena Kochkina, Maria Liakata, Arkaitz Zubiaga. All-in-one: Multi-task Learning for Rumour Verification. COLING. 2018.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Bo Wang, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter. Political Homophily in Independence Movements: Analysing and Classifying Social Media Users by National Identity. IEEE Intelligent Systems. To Appear.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Ahmet Aker, Kalina Bontcheva, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter. Detection and Resolution of Rumours in Social Media: A Survey. ACM Computing Surveys. To Appear.
- Peter Tolmie, Rob Procter, Mark Rouncefield, Maria Liakata, Arkaitz Zubiaga. Microblog Analysis as a Programme of Work. ACM Transactions on Social Computing. To Appear.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Elena Kochkina, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter, Michal Lukasik, Kalina Bontcheva, Trevor Cohn, Isabelle Augenstein. Discourse-Aware Rumour Stance Classification in Social Media Using Sequential Classifiers. Information Processing & Management. 2018.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Alex Voss, Rob Procter, Maria Liakata, Bo Wang, Adam Tsakalidis. Towards Real-Time, Country-Level Location Classification of Worldwide Tweets. IEEE TKDE. 2017.
- Alberto P. García-Plaza, Víctor Fresno, Raquel Martínez, Arkaitz Zubiaga. Using Fuzzy Logic to Leverage HTML Markup for Web Page Representation. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems. 2017.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter. Exploiting Context for Rumour Detection in Social Media. SocInfo. 2017.
- Bo Wang, Maria Liakata, Arkaitz Zubiaga, Rob Procter. A Hierarchical Topic Modelling Approach for Tweet Clustering. SocInfo. 2017.
- Ahmet Aker, Arkaitz Zubiaga, Kalina Bontcheva, Anna Kolliakou, Rob Procter, Maria Liakata. Stance Classification in Out-of-Domain Rumours: A Case Study around Mental Health Disorders. SocInfo. 2017.
- Peter Tolmie, Rob Procter, Dave Randall, Mark Rouncefield, Christian Burger, Geraldine Wong Sak Hoi, Arkaitz Zubiaga, Maria Liakata. Supporting the use of user generated content in journalistic practice. CHI. 2017. Best paper award
- Bo Wang, Maria Liakata, Arkaitz Zubiaga, Rob Procter. TDParse: Multi-target-specific Sentiment Recognition on Twitter. EACL. 2017.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Iñaki San Vicente, Pablo Gamallo, José Ramom Pichel, Iñaki Alegria, Nora Aranberri, Aitzol Ezeiza, Víctor Fresno. TweetLID: A Benchmark for Tweet Language Identification. Language Resources and Evaluation. 2016.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Elena Kochkina, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter, Michal Lukasik. Stance classification in Rumours as a Sequential Task Exploiting the Tree Structure of Social Media Conversations. COLING. 2016.
- Michal Lukasik, P. K. Srijith, Duy Vu, Kalina Bontcheva, Arkaitz Zubiaga, Trevor Cohn. Hawkes Processes for Continuous Time Sequence Classification: an Application to Rumour Stance Classification in Twitter. ACL. 2016.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter, Geraldine Wong Sak Hoi, Peter Tolmie. Analysing How People Orient to and Spread Rumours in Social Media by Looking at Conversational Threads. PLOS ONE. 2016.
- Iñaki San Vicente, Iñaki Alegria, Nora Aranberri, Cristina España-Bonet, Pablo Gamallo, Hugo Gonçalo Oliveira, Eva Martinez Garcia, Antonio Toral, Arkaitz Zubiaga. TweetMT: A Parallel Microblog Corpus. LREC. 2016.
- Iñaki Alegria, Nora Aranberri, Pere R. Comas, Víctor Fresno, Pablo Gamallo, Lluís Padró, Iñaki San Vicente, Jordi Turmo, Arkaitz Zubiaga. TweetNorm: A Benchmark for Lexical Normalization of Spanish Tweets. Language Resources and Evaluation. 2015.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Maria Liakata, Rob Procter, Kalina Bontcheva, Peter Tolmie. Crowdsourcing the Annotation of Rumourous Conversations in Social Media. WWW. 2015.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Damiano Spina, Víctor Fresno, Raquel Martínez. Real-Time Classification of Twitter Trends. JASIST. 2015.
- Arkaitz Zubiaga, Heng Ji. Tweet, but Verify: Epistemic Study of Information Verification on Twitter. Social Network Analysis and Mining. 2014.
- Nicholas Diakopoulos, Arkaitz Zubiaga. Newsworthiness and Network Gatekeeping on Twitter: The Role of Social Deviance. ICWSM. 2014.