Welcome! I am currently a postdoc (officially called Research Fellow) of professor Graham Cormode. Starting from May 2021, I will be an assistant professor at the Computer Science Institute of Charles University in Prague.
I have recently served on the Program Committee of WAOA 2020.
Email: pavel dot vesely at warwick dot ac dot uk
- 1. 9. 2020: I have started as an assistant professor at the Computer Science Institute of Charles University in Prague (currently, I'm on a leave there till April 2021).
- 17. 7. 2020: We have prepared a paper about relative error streaming quantiles with a new algorithm for this problem. There's also a proof-of-concept Python implementation of our algorithm.
- 16. 1. 2020: We updated the arXiv version of our optimal lower bound for quantile summaries (or, more simply, for finding the median in a data stream). We've added more intuition on how it works, and also included a new (relatively simple) lower bound for a related problem of biased quantiles.
- 1. 7. 2019: We updated the arXiv version of the packet scheduling paper with a φ-competitive algorithm. The analysis is rewritten in an equivalent way that is hopefully more intuitive, and some other parts of the paper are also revised. Stay tuned, another revision will follow in O(1) months!
- 14. 5. 2019: Two new papers about streaming algorithms appeared at arXiv: one with a tight lower bound for quantile summaries and the other about bin packing and vector scheduling.
- 25. 9. 2018: I successfully defended my thesis, which ended up my studies (after 4 years of PhD, 9 years at Charles University, and 22 years in total!).
- 3. 9. 2018: I have started as a postdoc of Graham Cormode at the University of Warwick.
- streaming algorithms,
- online algorithms (currently mainly for buffer management problems),
- approximation algorithms,
- packing and scheduling problems,
Some recent collaborators
- Antonios Antoniadis, Universität zu Köln, Germany
- Martin Böhm, University of Bremen, Germany
- Marcin Bieńkowski, Wroclaw University, Poland
- Marek Chrobak, University of California, Riverside, USA
- Graham Cormode, University of Warwick, UK
- Matthias Englert, University of Warwick, UK
- Andreas Feldmann, Charles University, Czech Republic
- Łukasz Jeż, Wroclaw University, Poland
- Dušan Knop, Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic
- Tomáš Masařík, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Jiří Sgall, Charles University, Czech Republic
- Rob van Stee, University of Siegen, Germany
- Justin Thaler, Georgetown University, USA