I am now a staff at University College London (UCL), Institute of Neurology, Department of Molecular Neuroscience, School of Life & Medical Sciences, Faculty of Brain Sciences, Russell Square House 10 - 12, Russell Square, London, United Kingdom, WC1B 5EH.
Research Interest: Weighted Gene Co-Expression Network Analysis (WGCNA), Gene Expression Network, DNA & RNA Sequencing Analysis.
A Machine Learning Disease Gene Prediction Software App (Web Based). February 2018
Link to: Gene Prediction Software
I completed my Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science Department at Warwick University. Before I came to Warwick University, I obtained my MSc (Eng.) degree in Computer Systems Engineering (Software Systems) with Distinction from University of East London after gaining my BSc degree in Computer Science from University of Uyo, Nigeria, 2005. During my Master’s program, I investigated the application of formal methods in air traffic control systems, where I developed an aircraft control simulation system. I graduated top of class (top 5%) from University of East London, 2011. I have worked in the University of East London as an ECDL tutor and IT systems Engineer. I also worked as a software developer (Visual Studio .NET, C#, VB, website developer) and database developer/administrator (SQL,MySQL) with the Employability and Enterprise Team of University of East London.
MOOCs (massive open online courses) have taken higher educational establishments of the western world by storm with large amounts of funding diverted into developing and delivering a wide variety of online, mass-participation courses. Many claims have been made relating to their potential for providing free, high quality education to everyone, no matter what their situation or geographical position. In practice however, there is little evidence as yet of the desired democratisation of education, with lack of support for students, an absence of pedagogy and very high drop out rates. This project is concerned with MOOC evaluation. It aims to understand the reasons why students drop out and to implement and assess the effectiveness of measures to address specific areas relating to attrition. The theoretical framework of this study is applying design science research methodology (DSRM) in creating and developing a learning tool as an instrument for the research investigation. My research goal is on designing, implementing and evaluating solutions to mitigate these problems. The initial test-bed for this research will be a training course we are running for teachers of Computer Science an in-house Moodle in the department of Computer Science, Warwick University. This research is likely to be greatly beneficial to the provision of online educational training. The research will thus be beneficial to providing training in the advanced technological infrastructures and software development expertise necessary in all sectors.My research division is Methodologies and Applications.
eLDa [The Theoretical Framework & Tool]: eLDa is a novel e-learning software tool designed and used in my research as an Instrument for Investigating users' choice and self-regulated learning skills. The platform was developed to allow learners to decide their routes of learning either by a self-directed mode or be guided in an instructional path.
Hypermedia-Multimedia web designs, personalize learning experiences, self-regulatory learning skills, adaptive hypermedia, adaptive MOOC, adaptive interactive model, data science, learning analytics, Gamification, Mediation criteria & Levels, adaptive software systems, intelligent systems, exploratory analysis, Data analysis.
Other research Interests: medical image segmentation, image processing & analysis, image normalization.
Reimagine Education Awards 2017
Title: How adaptible are online learning environments : A case study of a stand-alone MOOC platform use in a context of a coventional Africa university.
Shorlisted for the 2017 Reimagine Education Elearning awards. 2017’s Conference was held at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, 4th-5th December.
IET Innovation Awards 2017
Shortlisted for The Institute of Engineering & Technology (IET) Innovation Awards 15 November 2017.
Category: Navigation and Surveillance Communications
Title of collaborative project: Adaptable Road Navigation System
Awards 2017: Awarded Highly Commended
Date: June 16, 2017
King’s College London
Instructional Design and Development, King’s Online
Virginal Woolf Building
London, WC2B 6LE
Discussion on adaptive systems, eLDa MOOC platform, e-learning systems in general and initiating collaboration.
Exchange of ideas on various units and aspects of instructional design:
—course video production & editing
— course setting in powerpoint
—narration powerpoint course
—creating an interactive powerpoint with voice over slides
—open source authoring tools and adaptive platforms
Date: June 30, 2017
University College London
Department of Computer Science
66-72 Gower Street, Bloomsbury,
London, WC1E 7JE
Prof. Yvonne Rogers and Prof. John Shawe-Taylor
The discussion was on my recent research on eLDa MOOC and their collaborative project on E-Learning systems and to evaluate learners acceptability of an existing online system done in partnership with other European partner institutions. We discussed potential project and a specific area of research collaboration.
Successful Grant Application
1. Researcher Links Workshop: Higher Education for All , Brazil March 20th – 24th, 2017
Transatlantic Researcher Link - Early Career Researcher
Funding provided by: British Council, Newton Fund, CONFAP and FAPEAL
Workshop Description: The workshop invites UK, Brazil & international early career researchers towards solving the urgent, timely problem of access for children from impoverished backgrounds, via new, seamless personalisation, gamification, semantic & social interaction techniques for specific needs of the millions of candidates, based on (big) data analysis, user analytics and scalability. The workshop will focus on building links for future collaboration and enhancing the researchers’ future career opportunities.
2. September 2015: Conference Grant Award from Association for Learning Technology (ALTC15)
- Conference Grant ALT2015, support fund by Association for Learning Technology
- Grants for conferences 2015, sponsored by DCS, The University of Warwick
- Travel Grant for conference 2014, supported by IAS Group
- Research Grants for PhD 2013-2017, funded by DCS, The University of Warwick
Research Training and Summer School
- MathWorks training on image analysis using MATLAB for optimisation of medical images, Coventry University, United Kingdom, June 2013.
- MATLAB training on medical image analysis, image processing and normalization, Birmingham University, United Kingdom, July 2013.
- 2nd Biomedical Image Analysis Summer School; Modalities, Methodologies & Clinical Research, Paris, France, July 2013.
Academic Research Skype Interview
25th February 2015 (50 Minutes interview, video & audio)
The Skype interview was conducted between staff of Teesside University and myself to collect data for an on going research into the use of 3D environments & role-play in Education.
Angela Addison BSc (Hons), LLB, DTS, DMS, MTSI Principal Lecturer, SSE E-Learning Coordinator; &
Dr. W.T O'Hare Acting Director,
Teesside University, School of Science and Engineering, Department for Learning Development, Middlesbrough,Cleveland, TS1 3BA, United Kingdom.
Topic: Experiences of Role-Play as a teaching tool and how that can be incorporated in face-to-face, virtual worlds and simulations. The flow in learning and the impacts that affect good flow including for distance learners.
My most memorable achievement after my MSc, was participating as one of the 12-man IT Coordinators for Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) during the London 2012 Olympic games. I was among the software Engineering and networking team supporting the worldwide broadcast of the entire event.
Teaching Award Recognition
In 2017 - Nominated for the Warwick Award for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduate Research Students (WATE PGR)
In 2016 - Nominated for the Warwick Award for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduate Research Students (WATE PGR) List of shortlisted nominees
In 2015 - Nominated for the Warwick Award for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduate Research Students (WATE PGR)
In 2015 - Awarded Associate Fellow Status, Higher Education Academy (AFHEA), United Kingdom
Online Course: Computing Concepts and Python Programming (2015 - Present)
Blended Learning Course: Computer Security: Threats, Incidence, Prevention and Access Control (2015 - Present)
Developing Online & Blended-learning Course: Logic & Verification (2017- Ongoing)
New course curriculum (coming up in 2017- 2018): (1) Engineering Mathematics ( using Matlab\Simulink and Mathematica for engineering design, modelling and simulation), (2) Advanced LaTex and (3) R-Studio Programming
Academic year 2013/2014
Term 1: Seminar Tutor ; Teaching, Marking and Grading of weekly assignments
Term 2 : Lab Tutor ; Lab demonstration, Marking and Grading of weekly assignments (Laboratory: Encrypted\Encoding Email system, decrypting\decoding an encrypted email, Access control)
Academic year 2014/2015
Term 1: Seminar Tutor; Teaching, Marking and Grading of weekly assignments
Term 2: Lab Tutor; Lab demonstration, Marking and Grading of weekly assignments (Laboratory: Encrypted Email system, decoding an encrypted email, Access control)
Academic year 2015/2016
Term 1: Lab Tutor / Coursework marker (Laboratory: Advanced LaTex, Web Page Design)
Term 1: Seminar Tutor; Teaching, Marking and Grading of weekly assignments
Teaching Approach: Online Blended Classroom Instruction
Term 2: Lab Tutor; Lab demonstration, Marking and Grading of weekly assignments
Academic year 2016/2017
Term 2: Workshops / Seminars (Laboratory: Alloys Systems, single and mutiple instances of atoms and alloys core shell)
Term 2 : 3rd year project & writing skills sessions (planning the structure, methodology, and extended writing)
Academic Papers Reviewed
- Technical program committee member for IEEE International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Communications Engineering (iCCECE ’18). University of Essex Southend, UK 16th – 17th August 2018
- Technical program committee member for International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Computing iCETiC ‘18. London Metropolitan University, London, Uk 23-24 August 2018
- International Scientific Committee member for the 1st American University in the Emirates, international research conference (AUEIRC2017), Dubai, United Arab Emirates, November 15 - 16 , 2017.
- Blind-Review 2 Full Papers (10 - 15 Pages) for AUEIRC 2017: 1st AUE International Research Conference
American University in the Emirates, Dubai, UAE, November 15th - 16th, 2017.
- Blind-Peer-Review Full Paper ( 14 Pages) for Progress in Artificial Intelligence (PAI2016) Journal. July 2016.
- A Blind-Peer Review of '3 Full Papers (12 - 15 Pages)' for The 19th International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning(ICL2016), Belfast, United Kingdom.
- A Blind-Peer Review of '6 Abstracts' for The 23rd Association for Learning Technology (ALT) Annual Conference 2016 , United Kingdom.
- A Blind-Peer Review of '10 Abstracts' for The 9th International Technology, Education & Development Conference (INTED2015), Madrid, Spain.
1. Onah, D. F. O. and Sinclair, J. E.. 2017. A Multi-dimensional Investigation of Self-regulated Learning in a Blended Classroom Context : A Case Study on eLDa MOOC. In, M.E. Auer et al. (eds.), Interactive Collaborative Learning, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, pp. 63-85, 545, Springer International Publishing AG. Link, Chapter
2. Onah, D.F.O. and Sinclair, J.E.. 2017. An innovative MOOC platform: The implications of self-directed learning abilities to improve motivation in learning and to support self-regulation. (in progress)
3. Onah, D.F.O., Pang, E.L.L and Sinclair, J.E.. 2017. Cognitive Optimism of Distinctive Initiatives to Foster Self-Directed and Self-Regulated Learning Skills: A Comparative Analysis of Conventional and Blended-Learning in Undergraduate Studies. (in progress)
- Onah, D. F. O., Sinclair, J. E. (2017). Assessing Self-Regulation of Learning Dimensions in a Stand-alone MOOC Platform. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy (iJEP),Vol.7, No.2. pp. 4 - 21. eISSN: 2192-4880.
- Onah, D. F.O. and Sinclair, J.E., Boyatt, R. (2015) Forum Posting Habits and Attainment in a Dual-Mode MOOC. International Journal for Cross-Disciplinary Subjects in Education (IJCDSE), Special Issue Volume 5, Issue 2, ISSN 2042-6364 (IJCDSE2015). Pages 2463 - 2470. DOI: 10.20533/ijcdse.2042.6364.2015.0336. United Kingdom. 5th December 2015.
- Journal Paper 2017 (Submitted awaiting blind-peer review feedback)
- Journal Paper 2017 (Submitted awaiting blind-peer review feedback)
- Journal Paper 2017 (Preparing for submission)
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair & E.L.L. Pang (2018) A metacognitive instructional approach and self-reflection: reflective practice from a computer science perspective, The 12th Annual International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED2015) , Valencia, Spain. 5th- 7th of March, 2018.
- Onah, D. F.O. and Sinclair, J.E. (2016) A Multi-Dimensional Investi- gation of Self-Regulated Learning in a Blended Classroom Context: A Case Study on eLDa MOOC. In the 19th International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning(ICL2016), Belfast, United Kingdom. 21st- 23rd September, 2016.
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2016) Exploring Learners’ Strategies of Self-Regulated Learning Abilities in a Novel MOOC Platform: eLDa. The 23rd Annual Conference of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT2016). University of Warwick, United Kingdom. 6th – 8th September 2016.
- Onah, D. F.O. and Sinclair, J.E. (2016) An Empirical Investigation of students’ perceptions of self-regulated learning in Online Blended Learning: A case study of a Novel E-Learning Platform. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies (EDULEARN16), pp.5960 - 5969. Barcelona, Spain. 4th-6th July, 2016.
- Onah, D. F.O., Sinclair, J.E., Pang, E.L.L. and Jantjies, M. (2016) Exploring the multi-dimensional attainment of self-regulatory learning skills in educational contexts: A comparative study. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies (EDULEARN16), pp.5970 - 5979. Barcelona, Spain. 4th-6th July, 2016.
- Onah, D.F.O. & Sinclair, J.E. (2016). Design Science MOOC: A Framework of Good Practice Pedagogy in a Novel E-Learning Platform eLDa. In Proceedings of the 28th EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (EDMEDIA2016), (pp. 511-518). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: June 28th - 30th, 2016.
- Onah, D. F. O. and Sinclair, Jane (2015) Measuring self-regulated learning in a novel e-learning platform: eLDa. In: Koli Calling : International Conference on Computing Education Research, Koli, Finland, 19-22 Nov 2015. Published in: Proceedings of the 15th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research. Pages 167 - 168. ACM New York, NY, USA, ISBN : 978-1-4503-4020-5. ACM
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2015) Learning as a Perspective of Reflective Practice in Computer Science. The 22nd Annual Conference of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT2015). Manchester, United Kingdom. 8th – 10th September 2015.
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2015) Learners Expectations and Motivations using Content Analysis in a MOOC. In the Proceedings of 27th Annual World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (EDMEDIA2015),(Vol. 2015, No. 1, pp. 185-194). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 22nd – 24th of June, 2015.
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2015) Massive Open Online Courses: An Adaptive Learning Framework, In Proceeding of the 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED2015) , pp. 1258-1266..Madrid, Spain. 2nd-4th of March, 2015.
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2015) Collaborative Filtering Recommendation System: A Framework in Massive Open Online Courses, In Proceeding of the 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED2015) , pp. 1249-1257.Madrid, Spain. 2nd-4th of March, 2015.
- Onah, D. F.O., Sinclair, J.E., Boyatt, R., Foss, J. (2014) Massive Open Online Courses : Learner Participation. In Proceeding of the 7th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation (iCERi2014) , Seville, Spain. 17th - 19th November, 2014.
- Onah, D. F.O., Sinclair, J.E., Boyatt, R. (2014) Exploring the Use of MOOC Discussion Forums. London International Conference on Education (LICE-2014). London, United Kingdom. 10th - 12th November, 2014.
- Onah, D. F.O., Sinclair, J., Boyatt, R. (2014) Dropout Rates of Massive Open Online Courses : Behavioural Patterns. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies (EDULEARN14), Barcelona, Spain. 7th-9th July, 2014.
PhD Student Led Conferences, Workshops & Poster Presentations
- D.F.O.Onah (2017) Self-Regulated Learning in a Blended Computing Course: A Case Study of eLDa MOOC. Researcher Links Workshop: Higher Education for All. Alagoas , Maceio, Brazil March 20th – 24th.
- D.F.O.Onah (Participant) (2016) Research Students’ Education Conference (RSEC2016), University of Leeds, United Kingdom. 7th June 2016.
- D.F.O.Onah (2016) MOOCs and Self-Regulation. Technology for Learning - An Interdisciplinary Research Network, University of Warwick, United Kingdom. 13th May 2016.
- D.F.O.Onah and J.E. Sinclair (2015) Experimental Research in Two Cohorts of Learning: A Case Study of eLDa. In the 4th Annual ESRC DTC Conference. Nottingham University, United Kingdom. 28th October 2015. DTC PT
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2015) Exploring User Choice and Self-regulated Learning in a Novel E-learning Platform (eLDa). The 2nd Annual Workshop on the Network on Computational Statistics and Machine Learning (NCSML2015), University of Warwick, United Kingdom. 3rd – 4th September 2015.Abstract Poster
- D.F.O. Onah, J.E. Sinclair (2015) eLDa : A Guided Adaptive Interactive MOOC System. The 1st Annual Postgraduate Research Poster Presentation, The University of Warwick, United Kingdom. 10th June, 2015. Poster
- Onah, D. F.O., Sinclair, J., Boyatt, R., Foss, J. (2014) Classification of Computing for Teachers (CfT) MOOC: Age and Gender Demographic. In Proceeding of the 1st WMG Doctoral Research and Innovation Conference (WMGRIC2014), Warwick, United Kingdom.DOCZ.IO. 10th - 11th July, 2014.
Professional Affiliations, Conferences Chaired & Program committees
- International Scientific Committee Member, The 1st American University in the Emirates International Research Conference (AUEIRC) "Creative Business and Social Innovation", Dubai, United Arab Emirates, November 15th - 16th 2017.
- Committee Member (Annual Conference Programme Committee 2016) , Association for Learning Technology (ALT) Annual Conference 2016 , University of Warwick, Coventry, UK. 6th - 8th September 2016.
- Chaired a session in the 27th Annual World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (EDMEDIA2015), Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 22nd – 24th of June, 2015.
- Associate Fellow, The Higher Education Academy, UK Professional Standards Framework (PSF) for Teaching and Learning Support in Higher Education, United Kingdom, 5th June 2015.
- Committee Member (List) In the 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED2015), Madrid , Spain, 2nd - 4th March 2015.
Researcher Student Skills Program
- How to Be an Effective Researcher
- Induction Training Course on Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Higher education (September 2013)
- Lecturing, Assessment and Research-Based Learning (February 2014)
- Reflecting on your Teaching and Reflective Writing (February 2014)
- Enhancing Skills in Small Group Teaching (February 2014)
- Presentation Skills for Online Delivery (March 2014)
- Teaching Inclusively (Online activity and Group Session) (March 2014)
- Teaching for Creativity(May 2014)
- Introduction to E-learning (June 2014)
Academic Writing Program: myAdvantage
- Academic writing- writing to engage the reader (March 2014)
In-sessional English Programme (Term 2, January-March 2014)
- English Language Pronunciation Classes (Distinquishing between Vowel Sounds) (10 weeks Term2, 2014)
- CH950 Doctoral Skills 1 (2013)
- CH951 Doctoral Skills 2 (2014)
- CH952 Doctoral Skills 3 (2015)
- CH954 Science Communication (20 - 22 April 2015)
- CH955 Decision Making and Leadership (8-9 April 2015)
- CH957 Business, Innovation and Commercialisation for Researchers (March 2015)
- CH933 Writing Extended Scientific Articles and Reports (9 weeks in Term1 , 6 October 2014/2015)
- CH953 Team Working in a Research Environment (May 2014)
- Video Editting Software Workshop & Training - Camtasia Studio (Video Editor) (TechSmith), LICE2014 Conference, London, UK - November 2014.
- Audio Editing Software & Training - Audacity (Audio Editor), Science Communication PGCTSS, Warwick University, April 2015
1. Self-Regulated Learning in a Blended Computing Course: A Case Study of eLDa MOOC. Researcher Links Workshop: Higher Education for All , Brazil March 20th – 24th, 2017
2. A Multi-dimensional Investigation of Self-regulated Learning in a Blended Classroom Context : A Case Study on eLDa MOOC. In the 19th International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning(ICL2016), Belfast, United Kingdom. 21st - 23rd September, 2016.
3. ELDA - E-Learning Development And Adaptivity: A Blended Self-Paced Learning And Instructor Led Support System
4. Learners Expectations and Motivations using Content Analysis in a MOOC
Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 22nd – 24th of June, 2015
5. Massive Open Online Courses: An Adaptive Learning Framework
INTED15, Madrid, Spain - 2 - 4 March 2015
6. Collaborative Filtering Recommendation System: A Framework in Massive Open Online Courses
INTED15, Madrid, Spain - 2 - 4 March 2015
7. E-Learning Lab
CH957 Business, Innovation and Commercialisation for Researchers(PGCTSS)
University of Warwick, UK- March 18,2015
8. Exploring the Use of MOOC Discussion Forums
LICE14, London, UK - 10-12 Nov. 2014
9. Massive Open Online Courses : Learners Participation
ICERI14, Serville, Spain - 17- 19 Nov. 2014.
10. Classication of Computing for Teachers MOOC: Age and Gender Demographic
WMGRIC2014, Warwick, UK - July 10, 2014
11. Dropout Rates of Massive Open Online Courses: Behavioural Patterns
Edulearn14, Barcelona , Spain - July 7, 2014
12. Massive Open Online Courses: Computing for Teachers MOOC
WPCCS, Dept. of Computer Science, Warwick, UK - June 27, 2014
13. Ever Worried About Exploding Your Lab? (Awarded the First Prize)
CH953 Team Working in a Research Environment(PGCTSs) May 2014.
14. Development of Automated Image Segmentation for MR images.
WPCCS, Dept. of Computer Science, Warwick, UK - June 28, 2013.
- WPCCS Abstract Reviewer (5 Abstracts)
- Chaired WPCCS Presentation Sessions
- Presentation of Current Research
Academic Activities (External)
- Participated in UK ICT Pioneers 2015 (Second stage of the competition) : 3 Minutes Research Video
- Participated as part of a live audience for BBC Radio 4 Programme 'Any Questions' at Warwick Business School, University of Warwick 16th September 2016.
- University of East London (UEL) Info Skills : Assignment advice to other students 2010/2011
Resources that Cited our Publications
Daniel Onah, PhD
D dot F dot O dot Onah at warwick dot ac dot uk
Associate Fellow (HEA)
The University of Warwick
Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry
CV4 7AL, UK
Office Tel: +44 (0) 24 7657 3801
Research Group: Intelligent & Adaptive Systems
Google Scholar: Citations
Semantic Scholar BETA: Selected Publications
Mendeley: Selected Publications
Academia.edu: Selected Publications
Academic Experts BETA: Selected Presentations
Nominated and received recognition for Warwick Awards for Teaching Excellence, 2014/15, 2015/16 & 2016/17.
First-Class Honors Award for Post Graduate (Top of Class) Univeristy of East London, 2011.
Vice-Chancellor's Award for Academic Excellence (Top 5%) University of East London, 2011.
First Prize Poster, Team Working in a Research Environment University of Warwick, 2014.
Student Services and Support, University of East London, 2011.
PG International Student Representative
2014/2015 & 2015/2016
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Warwick
Association For Learning Technology (ALT), Oxford, UK
Computing At School (CAS), UK
Novel PhD Project eLDa
Publications in WRAP
ORCiD ID QR CODE