I am a final year PhD student in Computer Science based at The Alan Turing Institute in London. My research interests include Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL). In my PhD project, I am focussing on semantic similarity and paraphrase detection. This includes analysing properties of existing datasets, thinking about meaningful evaluation metrics and developing novel neural network-based models for this task. I am particularly interested in applying this research to real-world educational applications.
Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Neural Networks, NLP for Education
Seminars and Groups
- I am a visiting student at the NLIP Group at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge.
- I am a member of the Natural Language Processing Interest Group at the Alan Turing Institute.
- I organised the weekly Natural Language Processing Reading Group at the Alan Turing Institute from 2016 to 2019.
- Nicole Peinelt, Dong Nguyen, Maria Liakata (2020): tBERT - Topic Models and BERT Joining Forces for Semantic Similarity Detection. Proceedings of the 58th Conference of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2020), pages 7047-7055. [PDF]
- Nicole Peinelt, Dong Nguyen, Maria Liakata (2020): Better Early than Late: Fusing Topics with Word Embeddings for Neural Question Paraphrase Identification. arXiv preprint: 2007.11314. [PDF]
- Nicole Peinelt, Maria Liakata, Dong Nguyen (2019): Aiming beyond the Obvious - Identifying Non-Obvious Cases in Semantic Similarity Datasets. Proceedings of the 57th Conference of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2019), pages 2792 - 2798. [PDF]
- Nicole Peinelt, Maria Liakata, Shu-Kai Hsieh (2017): ClassifierGuesser - A Context-based Classifier Prediction System for Chinese Language Learners. Proceedings of IJCNLP 2017 (System Demonstrations), pages 41-44. [PDF]
- Chieh-Yang Huang, Nicole Peinelt, Lun-Wei Ku (2016): Automatically Suggesting Example Sentences of Near-Synonyms for Language Learners. Proceedings of COLING 2016 (System Demonstrations), pages 302-306. [PDF]
- 2016 - present: PhD in Computer Science, University of Warwick & Alan Turing Institute, UK
- 2013 - 2016: MA in Computational Linguistics, University of Trier, Germany
- 2009 - 2013: BA in Chinese Studies, University of Leipzig, Germany
- 2016 Research intern at the Natural Language Processing Lab, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
- 2014 - 2015 Visiting research student at the Lab of Ontologies, Language Processing and e-Humanities, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- 2011 - 2012 Visiting student at Yunnan Normal University, China