Honorary Research FellowEmail: sara dot cannizzaro at warwick dot ac dot uk
I have worked on:
- EPSRC-funded PETRAS Cybersecurity of the Internet of Things Research Hub (Privacy, Ethics, Trust, Reliability, Acceptability and Security), on the Adoption and Acceptability stream, led by Prof. Rob Procter.
- Innovate UK-funded i-Trace IoT Transport Assured for Critical Environments, on IoT Policy, Regulatory Framework and Standards, led by Prof. Carsten Maple.
Newspace, Internet of Things, Digital Media, Technology Adoption & Acceptability, Biosemiotics, Communication Theory, Media Theory.
I am an experienced writer and have published research in a variety of formats including peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, industry and policy-oriented reports, encyclopaedic entries and book reviews.
- Trust in the Smart Home: findings from a nationally representative survey in the UK
The End of Sebeok’s Century Meets 21st Century Pandemic: Modeling through and beyond Sebeok’s systems, semiotics, science.
With Myrdene Anderson, Chinese Semiotic Studies, in press.
- Identifying Attack Surfaces in the Evolving Space Industry
With Hu Yuan, Matthew Bradbury, Carsten Maple, Ugur Atmaca, Proceedings of 2020 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- Adoption and Acceptability of Smart Devices for the Home.
- The Devil is Not in the Detail: Representational Absence and Stereotyping in the ‘Trojan Horse’ News Story
With Reza Gholami, Race, Ethnicity and Education, 21(1): 15-29, 2018.
- Happiness in Higher Education
With Alex Elwick, Higher Education Quarterly 71(2): 204-219, 2017.
- Internet Memes as Internet Signs: a biosemiotic study of digital culture
Sign Systems Studies 44(4): 562–586, 2016.
- Transdisciplinarity for the 21st century, or “biosemiotics as systems theory”
Cybernetics and Human Knowing 21(3): 45-59, 2014.
- Where did Information go? Reflections on the Logical Status of Information in a Cybernetic and Semiotic Perspective
Biosemiotics 6(1): 105-123, 2013.
On Form, Function and Meaning: Working out the Foundations of Biosemiotics
Hortus Semioticus 6: 40-52, 2010.
- From ‘motivation’ to ‘constraints’, from ‘discourse’ to ‘modelling systems’: steering critical multimodal discourse analysis towards cybersemiotics
In: Carlos Vidales and Søren Brier (Eds.) Cybersemiotics: An International Perspective. Dordrecht: Springer, 2021.
- Ten years of cyberpunk, information and clay pipes
In: Essays in Honour of Don Favareau (Festschrift). Tartu: Tartu University Press, 2017.
- The Philosophy of Semiotic Information
In: Luciano Floridi (ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Information. New York: Routledge, 2016.
- Instinct, habituescence, addiction
With Myrdene Anderson, in: Donna West and Myrdene Anderson, (eds.) Consensus on Peirce's Concept of Habit. Dordrecht: Springer, 2016.
- Biosemiotics, politics and Sebeok’s move from linguistics to semiotics
With Paul Cobley, in: S.Cowley, K. Kull and E. Velmezova (eds.) Biosemiotic perspectives in linguistics. Lausanne (Switzerland): Cahiers de l’ILSL, 2015.
In: D. Favareau, P. Cobley and K. Kull (eds.) A more developed Sign: Interpreting the Work of Jesper Hoffmeyer (Festschrift). Tartu: Tartu University Press, 2012.
- “The Line of Beauty": on natural forms and abduction
In: Karen Haworth et al. (eds) Semiotics 2008. Ottawa: Legas, 2009.
Policy, Industry and Public Engagement publications
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility Handbook. REALISE: realising the potential of international staff mobility in higher education.
With Lionel Cabos, Marine Chabbert, Anne-Marie Motard, Stefan Karsh, Valentina Kasatkina, Lotta Kavermark, Janerik Lundquist, Sophie Ball, Nosheen Rachel-Naseem, 2019.
- Adoption and Acceptability Stream Report
With Joseph Lindley, Rob Procter and Paul Coulton, in: K. Pothong, I. Brass, and M. Carr (eds.) Cybersecurity of the Internet of Things: PETRAS Stream Report. PETRAS IoT Research Hub, 2019.
- Ownability and the IoT: Acceptability vs Adoption (pdf)
with Joseph Lindley, Paul Coulton, Haider Akmal, Duncan Hay, Max Van Kleek, Binns Reuben in: The Little Book of Theory for the IoT, 2019 .
- Report on a comparative analysis of current practices in Erasmus Staff mobility at European Higher Education Institutions
- Modelling Systems Theory
In: P. Cobley (ed.) The Routledge Companion to Semiotics. New York: Routledge, 2009.
- Archaeology of Concepts’ as Research Method
Review of ‘Semiotics: its history and doctrine’, by John Deely’ (Indiana University Press: Indiana, 1982)
Chinese Semiotic Studies 12(3): 305-312, 2016.
- Crossing the Ropey Bridge Between Art and Science with the Edusemiotics of Tarot Images
Review of The Edusemiotics of Images: Essays on the Art Science of Tarot, by Inna Semetsky’ (Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, 2013) Cybernetics and Human Knowing, 21(4): 99-104, 2014.
- Review of Essential Readings in Biosemiotics: Anthology and Commentary, edited by Donald Favareau (Dordrecht, London and New York: Springer. 2010)
Social Semiotics, vol. 21 (4), 2011.
University of Warwick
- Research Methods for Computer Science - MSc, 2019-2020
University of Lincoln
- Media Production Dissertation - 3rd year, 2016-2017
London Metropolitan University
- Mass Communications Dissertation - Masters, 2012-2014
- Principles of Digital Media - Masters, 2012
- Media and Communication Dissertation - 3rd year, 2012-2014
- Media and Communication Work Placement - 3rd year, 2014
- Digital Culture - 2nd year, 2010-2014
- Communication Theory - 2nd year, 2008
- Broadcast Media - 2nd year, 2010
- New Media, Technologies and Culture - 1st year, 2012-2014
- Media Theory - 1st year, 2013-2014
- Reading Media Texts - 1st year, 2009-2012
- Media, Culture and Society - 1st year, 2008 - 2012
- Media, History, Culture - 1st year, 2013
- Creative Writing - Masters, 2016
- Creating and understanding meaning - 3rd year, 2014
University of West London
- Writing for Media - 1st year, 2014-2015
- TV and Radio Industries - 1st year, 2013