Research FellowRoom: 2.18
Email: sara dot cannizzaro at warwick dot ac dot uk
I am currently working on the EPSRC-funded PETRAS Cybersecurity of the Internet of Things Research Hub (Privacy, Ethics, Trust, Reliability, Acceptability and Security), on the Adoption and Acceptability stream, led by Prof. Rob Procter.
Internet of Things, Science and Technology Studies, Digital Media, Philosophy of Technology, Semiotics and Biosemiotics, Communication and Media Theory.
I am an experienced writer and have published research in a variety of formats including peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, industry and policy-oriented reports, encyclopaedic entries and book reviews.
- Adoption and Acceptability of Smart Devices for the Home.
- The Devil is Not in the Detail: Representational Absence and Stereotyping in the ‘Trojan Horse’ News Story
With Reza Gholami, Race, Ethnicity and Education, 21(1): 15-29, 2018.
- Happiness in Higher Education
With Alex Elwick, Higher Education Quarterly 71(2): 204-219, 2017.
- Internet Memes as Internet Signs: a biosemiotic study of digital culture
Sign Systems Studies 44(4): 562–586, 2016.
- Transdisciplinarity for the 21st century, or “biosemiotics as systems theory”
Cybernetics and Human Knowing 21(3): 45-59, 2014.
- Where did Information go? Reflections on the Logical Status of Information in a Cybernetic and Semiotic Perspective
Biosemiotics 6(1): 105-123, 2013.
On Form, Function and Meaning: Working out the Foundations of Biosemiotics
Hortus Semioticus 6: 40-52, 2010.
- From ‘motivation’ to ‘constraints’, from ‘discourse’ to ‘modelling systems’: steering critical multimodal discourse analysis towards cybersemiotics
In: Carlos Vidales and Søren Brier (Eds.) Cybersemiotics: An International Perspective. Dordrecht: Springer, in press.
- Ten years of cyberpunk, information and clay pipes
In: Essays in Honour of Don Favareau (Festschrift). Tartu: Tartu University Press, 2017.
- The Philosophy of Semiotic Information
In: L. Floridi (ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Information. New York: Routledge, 2016.
- Instinct, habituescence, addiction
With Myrdene Anderson, in: Donna West and Myrdene Anderson, (eds.) Consensus on Peirce's Concept of Habit. Dordrecht: Springer, 2016.
- Biosemiotics, politics and Sebeok’s move from linguistics to semiotics
With Paul Cobley, in: S.Cowley, K. Kull and E. Velmezova (eds.) Biosemiotic perspectives in linguistics. Lausanne (Switzerland): Cahiers de l’ILSL, 2015.
In: D. Favareau, P. Cobley and K. Kull (eds.) A more developed Sign: Interpreting the Work of Jesper Hoffmeyer (Festschrift). Tartu: Tartu University Press, 2012.
- “The Line of Beauty": on natural forms and abduction
In: Karen Haworth et al. (eds) Semiotics 2008. Ottawa: Legas, 2009.
Policy, Industry and Public Engagement publications
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility Handbook. REALISE: realising the potential of international staff mobility in higher education.
With Lionel Cabos, Marine Chabbert, Anne-Marie Motard, Stefan Karsh, Valentina Kasatkina, Lotta Kavermark, Janerik Lundquist, Sophie Ball, Nosheen Rachel-Naseem, 2019.
- Adoption and Acceptability Stream Report
With Joseph Lindley, Rob Procter and Paul Coulton, in: K. Pothong, I. Brass, and M. Carr (eds.) Cybersecurity of the Internet of Things: PETRAS Stream Report. PETRAS IoT Research Hub, 2019.
- Ownability and the IoT: Acceptability vs Adoption (pdf)
with Joseph Lindley, Paul Coulton, Haider Akmal, Duncan Hay, Max Van Kleek, Binns Reuben in: The Little Book of Theory for the IoT, 2019 .
- Report on a comparative analysis of current practices in Erasmus Staff mobility at European Higher Education Institutions
- Modelling Systems Theory
In: P. Cobley (ed.) The Routledge Companion to Semiotics. New York: Routledge, 2009.
- Archaeology of Concepts’ as Research Method
Review of ‘Semiotics: its history and doctrine’, by John Deely’ (Indiana University Press: Indiana, 1982)
Chinese Semiotic Studies 12(3): 305-312, 2016.
- Crossing the Ropey Bridge Between Art and Science with the Edusemiotics of Tarot Images
Review of The Edusemiotics of Images: Essays on the Art Science of Tarot, by Inna Semetsky’ (Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, 2013) Cybernetics and Human Knowing, 21(4): 99-104, 2014.
- Review of Essential Readings in Biosemiotics: Anthology and Commentary, edited by Donald Favareau (Dordrecht, London and New York: Springer. 2010)
Social Semiotics, vol. 21 (4), 2011.
University of Lincoln
- Media Production Dissertation - 3rd year, 2016-2017
London Metropolitan University
- Mass Communications Dissertation - Masters, 2012-2014
- Principles of Digital Media - Masters, 2012
- Media and Communication Dissertation - 3rd year, 2012-2014
- Media and Communication Work Placement - 3rd year, 2014
- Digital Culture - 2nd year, 2010-2014
- Communication Theory - 2nd year, 2008
- Broadcast Media - 2nd year, 2010
- New Media, Technologies and Culture - 1st year, 2012-2014
- Media Theory - 1st year, 2013-2014
- Reading Media Texts - 1st year, 2009-2012
- Media, Culture and Society - 1st year, 2008 - 2012
- Media, History, Culture - 1st year, 2013
- Creative Writing - Masters, 2016
- Creating and understanding meaning - 3rd year, 2014
University of West London
- Writing for Media - 1st year, 2014-2015
- TV and Radio Industries - 1st year, 2013