The High Performance and Scientific Computing Group specialises in supporting all aspects of High Performance Computing from initial code development to machine-specific tuning, performance modelling and bottleneck analysis. In recent work, the Laboratory has focussed on the development of advanced methods of performance evaluation to support procurement and optimisation. Other work has included the parallelisation of MCMC methods and the establishment of middleware services to support computational grids.
- S.J. Pennycook, C.J. Hughes, M. Smelyanskiy, and S.A. Jarvis, 'Exploring SIMD for Molecular Dynamics, Using Intel Xeon Processors and Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors'. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium, 20-24th May 2013, Boston, MA. [PDF]
- S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, S.A. Wright, J.A. Herdman, I. Miller, and S.A. Jarvis, 'An Investigation of the Performance Portability of OpenCL'. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 73 (11). pp. 1439-1450. ISSN 0743-7315 [PDF]
- S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige, S.A. Wright and S.A. Jarvis, 'On the Acceleration of Wavefront Applications using Distributed Many-Core Architectures', The Computer Journal, 55 (2). pp. 138-153. ISSN 0010-4620 [PDF, BibTeX]
- S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige and S.A. Jarvis, `Performance Analysis of a Hybrid MPI/CUDA Implementation of the NAS-LU Benchmark', 1st International Workshop on Performance Modeling, Benchmarking and Simulation of High Performance Computing Systems (PMBS 10) held as part of Supercomputing 2010 (SC'10), New Orleans, LA, USA [PDF]
- S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige, S.A. Jarvis, Experiences with Porting and Modelling Wavefront Algorithms on Many-Core Architectures, September, 2010, Daresbury, UK (Best Paper) [PDF]
- S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige, J.A. Smith, J.A. Davis, S.A. Jarvis, J. Holt, I. Miller, J.A. Herdman and A. Vadgama, To Upgrade or not to Upgrade? Catamount vs. Cray Linux Environment, in Proceedings of the Large Scale Parallel Processing Workshop, Held as part of the 24th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, April, 2010, Atlanta, Georgia, USA (Best Paper) [PDF]
- G.R.Mudalige, S.D. Hammond, J.A. Smith and S.A. Jarvis, Predictive Analysis and Optimisation of Pipelined Wavefront Computations, in Proceedings of the 11th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models, Held as part of the 23rd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, Rome, Italy, May 2009. IEEE Computer Society (Best Paper) [PDF]
- S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige, J.A. Smith, S.A. Jarvis, J.A. Herdman and A. Vadgama, WARPP: A Toolkit for Simulating High Performance Parallel Scientific Codes, in Proceedings of SIMUTools (ACM, SCS), 2009, Rome, Italy [PDF, BibTeX]
- G.R. Mudalige, M.K. Vernon and S.A. Jarvis, A Plug-and-Play Model for Evaluating Wavefront Computations on Parallel Architectures, in Proceedings of the 22nd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, April, 2008, Miami, Florida, USA [PDF]
A full list of publications for this research area can be found here.