- Module code: ES2D2
- Module name: Mechanical Engineering Design
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
This stream-specific second year design module focusses on creative practice and practical aspects of problem solving. Supported by development of CAD proficiency & manufacturing experience.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to: • Locate developing technologies related to mechanical engineering & describe them to a technical audience. • Recognise the broad range of needs, perspectives & factors which affect all engineering projects. (Defend a point of view on a project) and develop a solution in agreement with other parties. • Appraise requirements in order to write a specification, evaluate the information provided for completeness and carry out research or experimentation to manage the technical uncertainty. • Select an appropriate design process/stages model and employ it (& other appropriate project management tools) to manage a design project. • Apply the engineering fundamentals learnt throughout this & the other modules studied during the course, to design & price a sustainable product to meet a specification. • Evaluate the success of the product, design improvements to it and communicate the improved product to a non-technical audience. • Recognise roles & skill sets of team members, select roles & work in teams whilst also taking personal responsibility.
Timetabled teaching activities
• Lectures/briefings (5 x 1 hrs); • CAE/CAD training laboratories (2 x 2 hrs); • Seminars (5 x 2 hrs, 10 x 1 hrs); • Workshops/manufacture (8 x 2 hrs); • Design showcase (1 x 1hrs). Total Hours 46 hours
Other essential notes
Advice and feedback hours are available for answering questions on the lecture material (theory and examples). Students must pass all elements with reassessment by resubmission of failed items.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ES2D2-15)|
|A1 (Assessed work only)||Journal article/vlogs||25%|
|Design portfolio with peer assessment||45%|
|Prototype and poster||30%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- BEng Mechanical Engineering (H315) - Year 2
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (H316) - Year 2
- BSc Engineering (H112) - Year 2
- BEng Engineering (H113) - Year 2
- MEng Engineering (H114) - Year 2
- BSc Engineering and Business Studies (HN11) - Year 2