This project is running into its 2nd year at Warwick University. Our team has been tasked with designing and producing a prototype luxury car seat.
The seat will have a weight saving of at least 20% over current designs. The final result and deliverables are expected to be of real industrial value.
The design must adhere to the following requirements:
- Include structure, trim and power systems
- The structure will be made out of steel
- Meet all relevant safety legislations
- Also meet Jaguar Land Rover's additional regulations
- Meet consumer expectations in terms of aesthetics and comfort
- Allow for use across the vehicle range with 'bolt on' options
- Consider ease of manufacture at high volume levels
- Consider design durability under real world conditions
- Meet or reduce current production costs
- Improve sustainability and reduce environmental impact
- Extensive benchmarking of current luxury vehicle seat designs
- Assess existing lightweight seat concept and development processes including simulation methods
- Develop a new seat design including structure, trim and power systems
- Analyse and improve the design using FEA and consideration for other key factors outlined in the aims.
- Produce prototypes of the design and perform real world testing for validation