- Module code: ES4D9
- Module name: Heat Transfer Theory and Design
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
To provide a knowledge of heat transfer that is of vital importance in many industrial sectors from process industries, through vehicles, etc., power plant, to building technology.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to...
- Apply comprehensive knowledge of the basic heat transfer processes.
- Autonomously evaluate heat transfer rates using correlations of non-dimensional groups, complex analytical techniques or numerical techniques
- Autonomously model real-life processes for the purposes of approximate calculation
- Evaluate the compromises between effectiveness and cost inherent in the design optimisation of heat transfer equipment.
- Critically examine the roles of numerical techniques in conceptualizing heat transfer designs, and interpret the usefulness of frequently used commercial software packages