- Module code: ES4B5
- Module name: Finite Element Methods
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
The main aim of the module is to provide a practical training in Engineering design using finite element methods. The first half of the module aims at introducing the fundamental principles of the modelling for statics and dynamics analyses. In the second half of the module the student’s will be taught how to use the method in practice and to critically assess and evaluate the results.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the students should be able to
- Critique the significance and importance of finite element methods to the professional design engineer.
- Communicate a theoretical understanding on the fundamentals of FEM for small displacement linear elastic analysis (statics).
- Autonomously develop models using non-linear finite element methods of analysis.
- Evalaute problems using current commercial FE software.
- Work independently to develop suitable models and interpret the numerical results.
- Demonstrate written and graphical communication skills, and show initiative in designing model constraints that enable the development of practical models..