HyFOAM has been developed within the frame of open-source computational fluid dynamics (CFD) code OpenFOAM® for hydrogen safety including:
- A high fidelity LES approach with high order weighted essentially non-oscillatory scheme to study the underlying physics of spontaneous ignition in pressurized hydrogen releases .
- Modelling approach for hydrogen explosions .
- Flame-wall interaction .
- Hydrogen jet fires .
- Flame acceleration (FA) and DDT , incorporating the effects of concentration gradients in hydrogen/air mixtures .
- Vented hydrogen explosions [8,9]
- Near-field dynamics of pressurised cryogenic hydrogen .
- Ignited release of cryogenic hydrogen .
- Atmospheric dispersion from large scale spill of cryogenic liquid hydrogen .
Spontaneous ignition in pressurised hydrogen release through a section of tube (Left: inside the tube; Right: flame sprouting out from the tube) 加压氢气释放中的自燃
Comparion of predicted horizonal and vertical jet fires with experimentally observed images.
Transition from deflagration to detonation in hydrogen explosions (423.9 m^3)在氢爆炸中从爆燃过渡到爆轰.
Effects of congestion and confining walls on turbulent deflagrations in a hydrogen storage facility.
1. Wen, J.X., Xu, B. P. and Tam, V.H.Y. (2009) Numerical study on spontaneous ignition of pressurized hydrogen release through a length of tube. Combustion and Flame, 156 (11).
2. Wen, J.X., Vendra, C.M.R, Tam, V.H.Y. (2010) Numerical study of hydrogen explosions in a refuelling environment and in a model storage room, Int. J of Hydrogen Energy, 35(1).
3. Vendra, C.M.R., Wen, J.X. and Tam, V.H.Y. (2013) Numerical simulation of turbulent flame–wall quenching using a coherent flame model. J of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 26 (2).
4. Wang, C. J., Wen, Jennifer X., Chen, Z. B. and Dembele, S. (2014) Predicting radiative characteristics of hydrogen and hydrogen/methane jet fires using FireFOAM. J of Hydrogen Energy, 39 (35).
5. Heidari, A. and Wen, J.X. (2014) Numerical simulation of flame acceleration and deflagration to detonation transition in hydrogen-air mixture. J of Hydrogen Energy, 39 (36).
6. Khodadadi, A.R., Heidari, A., Boeck, L.R. and Wen, J.X. (2019) The effect of concentration gradients on deflagration-to-detonation transition in a rectangular channel with and without obstructions – a numerical study. J of Hydrogen Energy, 44 (13).
7. Sinha, A. and Wen, J.X. (2019) A simple model for calculating peak pressure in vented explosions of hydrogen and hydrocarbons. Int. J of Hydrogen Energy, 44 (40).
8. Vendra, C.M.R., Sathiah, P. and Wen, J.X. (2018) Effects of congestion and confining walls on turbulent deflagrations in a hydrogen storage facility-part 2: numerical study. Int. J of Hydrogen Energy, 43 (32).
9. Vendra, C.M.R. and Wen, J.X. (2019) Numerical modelling of vented lean hydrogen deflagations in an ISO container. Int. J of Hydrogen Energy, 44(17).
10. Xu, B. P., Cheng, C. L. and Wen, J. X. (2019) Numerical modelling of transient heat transfer of hydrogen composite cylinders subjected to fire impingement. Int J of Hydrogen Energy, 44 (21).
11. Ren, Z.X. and Wen, J.X. (2020) Numerical characterization of under-expanded cryogenic hydrogen gas jets. AIP Advances, 10 (9). 095303.
12. Zhaoxin Ren, Jennifer X. Wen, Numerical simulations of ignition and combustion characteristics of under-expanded cryogenic hydrogen jet flames, submitted to the 2021 International conference on Hydrogen Safety, Edinburgh, UK, September 2021.
13. Baopeng Xu, Simon Jallais, Deborah Houssin, Elena Vyazmina, Laurence Bernard and Jennifer X. Wen, Numerical simulations of atmospheric dispersion of large-scale liquid hydrogen releases, submitted to the 2021 International conference on Hydrogen Safety, Edinburgh, UK, September 2021.