My research interests lie in computational fluid dynamics, kinetic theory, process diagnostics and optimization. I am postdoctoral research fellow in the fluid dynamics research group of Prof. Duncan Lockerby in research partnership (Daresbury Laboratory, STFC, and the Universities of Edinburgh and Warwick) to simulate micro and nano flows using Molecular Dynamics.
Selected List of Codes Developed
- Jyamiti Tool : 3D solid modelling tool for complex geometries, also works as pre-processor for snappyHexMesh utility, Dakota (optimization code) with import features from Sketchup.
Jyamiti+snappyHexMesh Sketchup + Jyamiti +snappyHexMeshJyamiti+OpenFOAM+Dakota
- SLKNS (Split Least Square Kinetic Upwind solver for Navier-Stokes Equations) CFD solver : Kinetic theory based meshless solver for Navier-Stokes equations with features to resolve slip and hypersonic flows.
SLKNS code : Merging body (local) mesh with background (global) mesh and solving kinetic upwind equations on cloud of points. (Refer : arXiv:1308.4119v2 for details on the kinetic method and paper in Computers & Fluids for details on meshless method.)
- MOO (Multi-Objective Optimization) tool : Multi-objective optimization routine using Multi-Simplex, Ant Colony and Genetic Algorithm with Pareto and L-P metric strategy. (Refer: Paper 1 and Paper 2 for further details on the multi-objective optimization with Pareto and L-P metric strategy.)
- Contention free communication scheduler for domain-decomposition : Contention free optimized communication scheduler for parallel computing based on domain decomposition.
7 cycles of contention free communication for 8 decomposed domains optimized to 5 cycles.
- CHBPN (Recurrent Neural Network) code : Backpropagation neural network for inputs with space-time structures for mapping and sequence processing tasks (similar to pattern recognition and Kalman filtering).
- CAT (Computer Assisted Tomography) code : Fast, limited data (scans) image reconstruction algorithm and code for attenuation based CAT (Computer Assisted Tomography) systems.
Selected Publications (Journal, Books, pre-print)
- Mahendra AK, Singh RK (2013) Onsager reciprocity principle for kinetic models and kinetic schemes. arXiv:1308.4119v2 [physics.flu-dyn], ICMMES-2013, Oxford, UK, pp. 1:50, 2013.
Banerjee I, Mahendra AK, Bera TK, Chandresh BG (2012) A mesh free moving node method to analyze flow through spirals of orbiting scroll pump. WASET, 68, pp. 1872-1878.
Chatterjee M, Mahendra AK , Sanyal A, Gouthaman G (2012) A mesh free method for simulations on incompressible fluid flow., Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, 83(4), pp. 385-402.
Sashi Kumar GN, Mahendra AK, Gouthaman G (2012) Understanding the Compatibility of Thermal Mass Flow Meter with Various Process Gases, Journal of Chemical Engineering and Process Technology, doi:10.4172/2157-7048.S1-002.
Sashi Kumar GN, Mahendra AK, Gouthaman G (2011) Multi-objective shape optimization using ant colony coupled computational fluid dynamics Solver, Computers & Fluids,46, pp. 298-305.
Mahendra AK, Singh RK, Gouthaman G (2011) Meshless kinetic upwind method for compressible, viscous rotating flows, Computers & Fluids,46, pp.325-332.
Mahendra AK, Sanyal A, Gouthaman G (2011) Simulation and optimization of sludge hygienization research irradiator, Computers & Fluids,46, pp. 333-340.
Mahendra AK, Gouthaman G, Singh RK (2011) Viscous Compressible Slip Flows Part 1: Kinetic Flux Vector Splitting and its Variance Reduction form, International Journal of Emerging Multidisciplinary Fluid Sciences, 3(1),pp. 21-47.
Mahendra AK, Gouthaman G, Singh RK (2011) Viscous Compressible Slip Flows Part 2 : Meshless Solver for Rotating Slip Flows, International Journal of Emerging Multidisciplinary Fluid Sciences, 3(1),pp. 49-83.
Sashi Kumar GN, Mahendra AK, Sanyal A, Gouthaman G (2010) A Hybrid Method for Multi-Objective Shape Optimization, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6457, pp. 563–567, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
Sashi Kumar GN, Mahendra AK, Sanyal A, Gouthaman G (2009) Genetic algorithm-based optimization of a multi-stage flash desalination plant, Desalination and Water Treatment,1, pp. 88-106.
Sashi Kumar GN, Mahendra AK, Deshpande SM (2008) Optimization using genetic algorithm and grid-free CFD solver, Computational Fluid Dynamics Journal, 16(4:43) pp. 426-433.
Singh KK , Shenoy KT , Mahendra AK , Ghosh SK (2004) Artificial neural network based modelling of head and power characteristics of pump-mixer, Chemical Engineering Science 59 , pp.2937-2945.
Rathish Kumar BV, Bipin Kumar, Shalini, Mehra M, Chandra P, Raghvendra V, Singh R, Mahendra AK (2004)Krylov subspace solvers in parallel Numerical Computations of partial differential equations modelling heat transfer applications , Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, 45, pp-479-503.
Mahendra AK, Puranik VD, Bhattacharjee B (1999) Separative Power for a Binary Mixture of Isotopes, Separation Science and Technology, 34(16), pp. 3211–3225.