Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) Shaping the World Initiative – 1st Academic in Residence
ICE has over 91,000 professional members worldwide and in 2018 celebrates its Bicentennial. In 2015 the ICE advertised for their first Academic-in-Residence, supported under their Shaping-the-World initiative. This aims to use the full resources of the Institution to tackle some of the world’s major global challenges, as highlighted in the UN Global Development Challenges.
The initiative aims to deliver a five-point action plan for better infrastructure, by:
1. Providing thought leadership to the industry
2. Informing decision making around global solutions and innovation
3. Identifying solutions to the challenges society faces
4. Working with research bodies, industry and clients to deliver a research programme
5. Participating in high-level academic groups advising industry on challenges and trends
External Examiner for the Flood and Coastal Engineering FdSc & BSc Programme, supported by the UK Environment Agency and hosted at Brunel University.
Invited to deliver a Master Class on “River Mixing processes” ahead of the leading world conference “River Flow 2018”.
International Adviser to $25M Construction Technology Innovation Program (CTIP) funded by Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs (MLTM) of Korean government, “Advanced Research Center for River Operation and Management” (2012/16) awarded to Seoul National University, Korea & 16 Institutions.
Appointed by the Korean Ministries of Science & Technology and Construction & Transport to evaluate one of the 10 year funded research programmes within the Sustainable Water Resources Research Centre.
Visiting Professor Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand (2000-2004).
External Examiner for University of Exeter courses: BEng & MEng in Civil Engineering and Civil & Environmental Engineering and MSc in Urban Water Systems and Advanced Civil Engineering (2012-15).
Former Member of ICE Water Experts Panel.
Invited member of Defra/ICE Reservoir Safety Advisory Group (2013 - date)
Elected representative for UK on European IAHR Committee & Former Chair of IAHR - UK
Associate Editor for Acta Geophysica. Appointed (October 2011 - date)
EPSRC Peer Review College Member (2001- date),
• Chair of Process, Environment and Sustainability Panel (x3)
External Ph.D. Examiner
• Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
• University of Roorkee (IIT), India
• University of Genoa, Italy
• University of Sheffield, UK
• Sheffield Hallam University, UK
• University of Birmingham, UK
• University of Liverpool, UK
• University of Cardiff, UK
External MSc/MPhil Examiner - Aachen University of Technology, Germany.
Graduate Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (1981-date).
• Editorial Panel for “Water Management” (2004-2006)
• West Midlands Coventry & Warwick Committee Member (2005-date)
Member of Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (1996-date)
• Tyne & Humber Branch Committee member (2002-2004)
Member of International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research International (IAHR)
• UK National Committee member (2005-date)
• Chair (2008-date)
Reviewer for International Journals
• Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science
• Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers
• International Association of Hydraulic Engineering and Research
• Journal of Contaminant Hydrology.
• Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE.
• Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE.
• Journal of Hydrology
• New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater
• Urban Water
• Water Research
• Water Resources Research.
C.Eng. - Chartered Engineer
EPSRC & NERC Reviewer for Research Grant Applications
Member of Management Committee for EPSRC Coastal Research Facility
Former Member of United Kingdom Association for Laser Anemometry, (UKALA)
• member of Management Committee (1992-1994).
Member of International Water Association (formerly IAWQ) (1996-2007)
Internal Ph.D. Examiner