The engineering sector offers a huge range of satisfying careers for graduates ranging from highly technical to commercial roles. Despite an increasing shift to moving manufacturing production overseas, demand for graduates continues to be strong, particularly for qualified engineers, with many employers unable to fill all their graduate vacancies (AGR 2010 Winter Review).
As well as large global employers there are opportunities in many smaller specialised engineering and manufacturing firms. Sectors include:
- heavy manufacturing sectors such as aerospace and metals;
- infrastructure such as construction, utilities and transport;
- specialised sectors such as oil , marine and chemicals;
- high technology sectors including electronics and telecommunications;
- light manufacturing such as automotive parts;
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods manufacturing.
Prospects: Engineering - for more on the Engineering job sector and graduate career prospects.