My research interests have always been related to the field of antibiotics and in my studies, I look at different aspects including antimicrobial resistance and drug discovery.
PROJECT: Resolving the fate and studying the impact of pharmaceutical wastes on the environment and local community of a pharmaceutical manufacturing hub (NERC funded)
Antibiotic manufacturing is an important industry in India and employs a large number of workers. As with all manufacturing industries, waste is produced, raising concerns for the environmental impact of the release of active antimicrobial residues. In collaboration with our colleagues in India, the RESPHARM project aims at assessing the impact of pharmaceutical manufacturing waste on both the environment and human health. Samples will be collected from two sites in India: the first site characterized by the presence of several pharmaceutical manufacturing industries and the second site located in an area not affected by manufacturing hubs. Antibiotic concentrations will be monitored in environmental samples and their impact on the microbial population will be examined by metagenomic analysis. Particular attention will be given to the detection and characterization of antimicrobial resistance genes (ARGs) of clinical importance and isolation of resistant bacteria. The impact of exposure on the human population will also be assessed. Environmental and human exposure data will be integrated for the development of mathematical risk models to determine optimal strategies to mitigate exposure to bioactive pollutants.
PROJECT: Novel bioactive metabolites from soil Bacteroidetes.
Another aspect of my research focuses on the characterisation of novel antimicrobial compounds. Recent work in our lab showed that previously underexploited bacterial groups, such as Bacteroidetes, have the potential for secondary metabolites. However, environmental isolates have not been yet experimentally characterised for their potential for novel natural products. In collaboration with the Department of Chemistry, part of my research focuses on the characterization of the antimicrobial resistance profile and the antibiotic production potential of soil-dwelling bacterial isolates belonging to the phylum of Bacteroidetes.
Recently completed project: Chicken or the Egg: Is AMR in the Environment Driven by Dissemination of Antibiotics or Antibiotic Resistance Genes? (NERC funded)
In collaboration with the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology and University of Exeter, we studied the selective pressure exerted by low concentrations of antimicrobial agents on enriching and promoting ARG persistence and movement into the microbial community in riverine habitats. We used in situ flumes (in the river), lab replicated river microcosms (e.g. flumes) and a combination of techniques including high-throughput qPCR, metagenomic and metaproteomic to monitor changes in in the microbial community under selective pressure of different antibiotics. We also used enrichment cultures to better understand the turnover and biodegradation of these xenobiotics in the environment, which can play an important role as mechanism of resistance to these compounds.
PhD (2017), University of Warwick, UK
MSc in Molecular and Industrial Biotechnology (2013), University of Insubria, Italy
BSc in Biotechnology (2010), University of Insubria, Italy
- Waschulin, Valentin, Borsetto, Chiara, James, Robert, Newsham, Kevin K., Donadio, Stefano, Corre, Christophe, Wellington, Elizabeth M. H., 2022. Biosynthetic potential of uncultured Antarctic soil bacteria revealed through long-read metagenomic sequencing. The ISME Journal, 16, pp. 101-111
- 'Lidbury, Ian, 'Raguideau, S?bastien, 'Borsetto, Chiara, 'Murphy, Andrew R. J., 'Bottrill, Andrew R., 'Liu, Senlin, 'Stark, Richard Jan, 'Fraser, Tandra, 'Goodall, Andrew, 'Jones, Alexandra M., 'Bending, Gary D., 'Tibbet, Mark, 'Hammond, John P., 'Quince, Chris, 'Scanlan, David J., 'Pandhal, Jagroop, 'Wellington, Elizabeth M. H., 2022. 'Stimulation of distinct rhizosphere bacteria drives phosphorus and nitrogen mineralization in oilseed rape under field conditions. mSystems
- Lidbury, Ian, Borsetto, Chiara, Murphy, Andrew, Bottrill, Andrew R., Jones, Alexandra M., Bending, G. D., Hammond, John P., Chen, Yin, Wellington, Elizabeth M. H., Scanlan, David J., 2021. Niche-adaptation in plant-associated Bacteroidetes favours specialisation in organic phosphorus mineralisation. ISME Journal, 15, pp. 1040-1055
- Borsetto, Chiara, Raguideau, Sébastien, Travis, Emma Rachel, Kim, Dae-Wi, Lee, Do-Hoon, Bottrill, Andrew R., Stark, Richard Jan, Song, Lijiang, Cha, Chang-Jun, Pearson, Jonathan M., Quince, Christopher, Singer, Andrew C., Wellington, Elizabeth M. H., 2021. Impact of sulfamethoxazole on a riverine microbiome. Water Research, 201
- 'Rangama, Severine, 'Lidbury, Ian, 'Holden, Jennifer, 'Borsetto, Chiara, 'Murphy, Andrew, 'Hawkey, Peter, 'Wellington, E. M. H., 2021. 'Mechanisms involved in the active secretion of CTX-M-15 ?-lactamase by pathogenic Escherichia coli ST131. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 65 (10)
- Borsetto, Chiara, Amos, Gregory C. A., da Rocha, Ulisses Nunes, Mitchell, Alex L., Finn, Robert D., Laidi, Rabah Forar, Vallin, Carlos, Pearce, David A., Newsham, Kevin K., Wellington, E. M. H., 2019. Microbial community drivers of PK/NRP gene diversity in selected global soils. Microbiome, 7 (1)
- Amos, Gregory C. A., Borsetto, Chiara, Laskaris, Paris, Krsek, Martin, Berry, Andrew E., Newsham, Kevin K., Calvo-Bado, Leo A., Pearce, David A., Vallin, Carlos, Wellington, E. M. H., 2015. Designing and implementing an assay for the detection of rare and divergent NRPS and PKS clones in European, Antarctic and Cuban soils. PLoS One, 10 (9), pp. 1-15
- Selama, Okba, Amos, Gregory C. A., Djenane, Zahia, Borsetto, Chiara, Laidi, Rabah Forar, Porter, David, Nateche, Farida, Wellington, E. M. H., Hacène, Hocine, 2014. Screening for genes coding for putative antitumor compounds, antimicrobial and enzymatic activities from haloalkalitolerant and haloalkaliphilic bacteria strains of Algerian Sahara soils. BioMed Research International, 2014
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Resolving the fate and studying the impact of pharmaceutical wastes on the environment and local community of a pharmaceutical manufacturing hub||NERC||01 Oct 2020||01 Apr 2024|