Plant viruses are a major limiting factor for crop production worldwide. Viral diseases can cause yield losses up to 100%. Natural plant resistance genes provide non-chemical options in controlling plant viruses, reducing the amount of pesticide inputs to crops. As a member of the Plant-Virus Interactions Group, my research focusses on the identification and characterisation of plant resistance genes to Turnip mosaic virus (TuMV) and Turnip yellow virus (TuYV) in Brassica species. In particular, I am interested in the molecular mechanisms underlying TuMV andTuYV infections and how viruses can overcome resistance, with the aim of developing durable resistance for plant breeding.
Ph.D., Plant Molecular Biology. Humboldt University Berlin, 2011
Diplom, Biology. Humboldt University Berlin, 2004
- Greer, Shannon F., Hackenberg, Dieter, Gegas, Vasilis, Mitrousia, Georgia, Edwards, David, Batley, Jacqueline, Teakle, Graham R., Barker, Guy C., Walsh, John A., 2021. Quantitative trait locus mapping of resistance to turnip yellows virus in Brassica rapa and Brassica oleracea and introgression of these resistances by resynthesis into allotetraploid plants for deployment in Brassica napus. Frontiers in Plant Science, 12
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Asare-Bediako, Elvis, Baker, Adam R., Walley, Peter Glen, Jenner, Carol E., Greer, Shannon, Bramham, Lawrence, Batley, Jacqueline, Edwards, David, Delourme, Regine, Barker, Guy C., Teakle, Graham R., Walsh, John A., 2020. Identification and QTL mapping of resistance to Turnip yellows virus (TuYV) in oilseed rape, Brassica napus. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 133 (2), pp. 383-393
Higo, Asuka, Kawashima, Tomokazu, Borg, Michael, Zhao, Mingmin, López-Vidriero, Irene, Sakayama, Hidetoshi, Montgomery, Sean A., Sekimoto, Hiroyuki, Hackenberg, Dieter, Shimamura, Masaki, Nishiyama, Tomoaki, Sakakibara, Keiko, Tomita, Yuki, Togawa, Taisuke, Kunimoto, Kan, Osakabe, Akihisa, Suzuki, Yutaka, Yamato, Katsuyuki T., Ishizaki, Kimitsune, Nishihama, Ryuichi et al (Select to open full list), 2018.
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Perroud, Pierre-François, Quatrano, Ralph S., Pandey, Sona, 2016. Sporophyte formation and life cycle completion in moss requires heterotrimeric G-proteins. Plant Physiology, 172 (2)
- Hackenberg, Dieter, McKain, Michael R., Lee, Soon Goo, Roy Choudhury, Swarup, McCann, Tyler, Schreier, Spencer, Harkess, Alex, Pires, J. Chris, Wong, Gane Ka-Shu, Jez, Joseph M., Kellogg, Elizabeth A., Pandey, Sona, 2016. Ga and regulator of G-protein signaling (RGS) protein pairs maintain functional compatibility and conserved interaction interfaces throughout evolution despite frequent loss of RGS proteins in plants. New Phytologist, 216 (2), pp. 562-575
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Pandey, Sona, 2014. Heterotrimeric G-proteins in green algae. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 9 (4)
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Sakayama, H., Nishiyama, T., Pandey, S., 2013. Characterization of the heterotrimeric G-protein complex and its regulator from the green alga chara braunii expands the evolutionary breadth of plant G-protein signaling. Plant Physiology, 163 (4), pp. 1510-1517
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Keetman, Ulrich, Grimm, Bernhard, 2012. Homologous NF-YC2 subunit from arabidopsis and tobacco is activated by photooxidative stress and induces flowering. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 13 (3), pp. 3458-3477
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Wu, Yanfang, Voigt, Andrea, Adams, Robert, Schramm, Peter, Grimm, Bernhard, 2012. Studies on differential nuclear translocation mechanism and assembly of the three subunits of the arabidopsis thaliana transcription factor NF-Y. Molecular Plant, 5 (4), pp. 876-888
- Fritz, Markus, Lokstein, Heiko, Hackenberg, Dieter, Welti, Ruth, Roth, Mary, Zähringer, Ulrich, Fulda, Martin, Hellmeyer, Wiebke, Ott, Claudia, Wolter, Frank P., Heinz, Ernst, 2006. Channeling of eukaryotic diacylglycerol into the biosynthesis of plastidial phosphatidylglycerol. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 282 (7), pp. 4613-4625
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Twell, D., 2019. The evolution and patterning of male gametophyte development. In Grossniklaus, Ueli (ed.), Plant Development and Evolution, Elsevier, pp. 257-298
- Choudhury, Swarup Roy, Westfall, Corey S., Hackenberg, Dieter, Pandey, Sona, 2013. Measurement of GTP-Binding and GTPase activity of heterotrimeric Ga proteins. In Running, M. (ed.), G Protein-Coupled Receptor Signaling in Plants, Totowa, NJ, Humana Press, pp. 13-20
- MacLeod, Kyle, Greer, Shannon F., Hackenberg, Dieter, Bramham, Lawrence, Newbert, Max John, Hambidge, A. J. (Angela J.), Katschnig, Diana, Baker, Adam R., Teakle, Graham R., Barker, Guy C., Walsh, John A., 2021. New sources of resistance to turnip yellows virus from Brassica oleraceaand Brassica rapa and their introgression into oilseed rape. Management of Diseases and Pests of Oilseed Rape, University of Hertfordshire, 16 Jun 2021, Published in Proceedings of Management of Diseases and Pests of Oilseed Rape, University of Hertfordshire, 16 June 2021, pp. 55-58