My area of interest lies within the intricate interaction of plants and microbes specifically in understanding how these interactions result in susceptibility of plants to pathogenic microbes. Plant pathogen secrete an array of molecules and proteins to influence disease progression however the plant can detect these molecules and proteins initiating an immune response. My previous work has focused on identifying the host targets of essential pathogen proteins in order to understand how the pathogen in modifying or mediating the innate signalling of plants to aid disease progression.
Previously I have worked with necrotrophic and biotrophic fungal pathogens of wheat, and a hemibiotrophic oomycete of tomato and potato. My current project focuses on understanding the role of the chloroplasts in innate immune signalling. Many of the characterised effector proteins from fungal and bacterial pathogens localise to the chloroplasts however their exact role during infections remains unknown.
BSc in Microbiology with Industrial Placement 2008, The University of Aberdeen
Phd 2012, University of Dundee
Member, BSPP, MPMI
- Turnbull, Dionne, Wang, Haixia, Breen, Susan, Malec, Marek, Naqvi, Shaista, Yang, Lina, Welsh, Lydia, Hemsley, Piers, Zhendong, Tian, Brunner, Frederic, Gilroy, Eleanor M., Birch, Paul R.J., 2019. AVR2 targets BSL family members, which act as susceptibility factors to suppress host immunity. Plant Physiology, 180 (1), pp. 571-581
- Breen, Susan, Williams, Simon J., Outram, Megan, Kobe, Bostjan, Solomon, Peter S., 2017. Emerging insights into the functions of pathogenesis-related protein 1. Trends in Plant Science, 22 (10), pp. 871-879
- Chen, Jiapeng, Upadhyaya, Narayana M., Ortiz, Diana, Sperschneider, Jana, Li, Feng, Bouton, Clement, Breen, Susan, Dong, Chongmei, Xu, Bo, Zhang, Xiaoxiao, Mago, Rohit, Newell, Kim, Xia, Xiaodi, Bernoux, Maud, Taylor, Jennifer M., Steffenson, Brian, Jin, Yue, Zhang, Peng, Kanyuka, Kostya, Figueroa, Melania, Ellis, Jeffrey G., Park, Robert F., Dodds, Peter N., 2017. Loss of AvrSr50by somatic exchange in stem rust leads to virulence for Sr50 resistance in wheat. Science, 358 (6370), pp. 1607-1610
- Zhang, Xiaoxiao, Nguyen, Neal, Breen, Susan, Outram, Megan A., Dodds, Peter N., Kobe, Bostjan, Solomon, Peter S., Williams, Simon J., 2017. Production of small cysteine-rich effector proteins in Escherichia colifor structural and functional studies. Molecular Plant Pathology, 18 (1), pp. 141-151
- Turnbull, Dionne, Yang, Lina, Naqvi, Shaista, Breen, Susan, Welsh, Lydia, Stephens, Jennifer, Morris, Jenny, Boevink, Petra C., Hedley, Pete E., Zhan, Jiasui, Birch, Paul R. J., Gilroy, Eleanor M., 2017. RXLR effector AVR2 up-regulates a brassinosteroid-responsive bHLH transcription factor to suppress immunity. Plant Physiology, 174 (1), pp. 356-369
- Phan, Huyen T. T., Rybak, Kasia, Furuki, Eiko, Breen, Susan, Solomon, Peter S., Oliver, Richard P., Tan, Kar-Chun, 2016. Differential effector gene expression underpins epistasis in a plant fungal disease. The Plant Journal, 87 (4), pp. 343-354
- Breen, Susan, Williams, Simon J., Winterberg, Britta, Kobe, Bostjan, Solomon, Peter S., 2016. Wheat PR-1 proteins are targeted by necrotrophic pathogen effector proteins. The Plant Journal, 88 (1), pp. 13-25
- Breen, Susan, Solomon, Peter S., Bedon, Frank, Vincent, Delphine, 2015. Surveying the potential of secreted antimicrobial peptides to enhance plant disease resistance. Frontiers in Plant Science, 6
- Muria-Gonzalez, Mariano Jordi, Chooi, Yit-Heng, Breen, Susan, Solomon, Peter S., 2015. The past, present and future of secondary metabolite research in the Dothideomycetes. Molecular Plant Pathology, 16 (1), pp. 92-107
- Saunders, D. G. O., Breen, Susan, Win, J., Schornack, S., Hein, I., Bozkurt, T. O., Champouret, N., Vleeshouwers, V. G. A. A., Birch, P. R. J., Gilroy, E. M., Kamoun, S., 2012. Host protein BSL1 associates with phytophthora infestans RXLR effector AVR2 and the solanum demissum immune receptor R2 to mediate disease resistance. The Plant Cell, 24 (8), pp. 3420-3434
- Gilroy, Eleanor M., Breen, Susan, Whisson, Stephen C., Squires, Julie, Hein, Ingo, Kaczmarek, Maciej, Turnbull, Dionne, Boevink, Petra C., Lokossou, Anoma, Cano, Liliana M., Morales, Juan, Avrova, Anna O., Pritchard, Leighton, Randall, Eva, Lees, Alison, Govers, Francine, van West, Pieter, Kamoun, Sophien, Vleeshouwers, Vivianne G. A. A., Cooke, David E. L., Birch, Paul R. J., 2011. Presence/absence, differential expression and sequence polymorphisms between PiAVR2 and PiAVR2-like in Phytophthora infestans determine virulence on R2 plants. New Phytologist, 191 (3), pp. 763-776