- This Brassica crop is used for seed oil production for use in the food industry and more recently as a biofuel.
- Demmand for it's production is increasing therefore it is more frequently grown in short rotations.
- The graph below shows the increase in OSR production worldwide.
- Because of the high demmand for OSR, it is increasingly being grown in shorter rotations.
- This has led to a decline in yield.
- The cause for this yield decline is unknown however there are a number of potential causes.
- My research will be to investigate whether this yield decline is caused by a build up of pathogens in the soil.