WELCOME TO MY PORTFOLIO
In 2006 I have finished my BSc in Biotechnology. I have graduated in 2007 with a MSc in Biotechnology, specialisation in Microbiology at Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences in Poland. In 2007- 2009 I had a position of Analyst 2 in Chromatography - GC Department at Severn Trent Laboratories in Coventry, UK. In October 2009 I have started a PhD research project at the University of Warwick, School of Life Sciences in the collaboration with Unilever. My PhD was focused on "Role of microbial adaptation in the biodegradation of chemical pollutants: extrapolation from laboratory to rivers".
The role of Yarrowia lipolytica in the bioremediation of crude oil contaminated field - Monitoring the bioremediation of crude oil contaminated soil. Bioremediation with immobilized cells of Yarrowia lipolytica in alginate beads. Studying the effect of seasonal changes on the activity of immobilized yeasts.
The biodegradation of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) in water by Burkholderia cepacia- Monitoring PCBs mineralization in mineral medium by GC (with ECD detector). PCBs degradation with isolated from soil bacterium Burkholderia cepacia. Studying the effect of PCB's structure (from readily degradable to more resistant) on the biodegradation rate
Yarrowia lipolytica cells entrapped in alginate and their influence on oats germination- Monitoring oat germination in the presence of Yarrowia lipolytica alginate beads in soil. Measuring the size of shoots, roots and stems.
- biodegradation tests with river water, river biofilm, sediment and effluent from WWTP as inoculum
- microbiological techniques for isolation and identification of specific degraders
- microbial ecology methods (functional marker approach, Terminal Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism (TRFLP), cloning, QPCR)
- High throughput sequencing (Illumina, 454)
- Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope
- Flow Cytometry
- Chromatography (HPLC, GC (with FID and ECD detector), GCMS)
- Radio HPLC (14C)
- Radionuclides (14C labelled para-nitrophenol (PNP))
A dot Kowalczyk at warwick dot ac dot uk
The University of Warwick
School of Life Sciences
Gibbet Hill Campus
Coventry CV4 7AL