1. Borde X, Guieysse B, Delgado O, Muñoz R, Hatti-Kaul R, Nugier-Chauvin C, et al. (2003). Synergistic relationships in algal-bacterial microcosms for the treatment of aromatic pollutants. Biores Technol 86:293-300.
2. Comber M and Holt M. (2010). Developing a set of reference chemicals for use in biodegradability tests for assessing the persistency of chemicals. Report No: MCC/007.
3. Dyer SD, Peng C, McAvoy DC, Fendinger NJ, Masscheleyn, P, Castillo LV, et al. (2003). The influence of untreated wastewater to aquatic communities in the Balatuin River, the Philippines. Chemosph 52:43-53.
4. Finnegan CJ, van Egmond RA, Price OR, Whelan MJ. (2009). Continuous-flow laboratory simulation of stream water quality changes downstream of an untreated wastewater discharge. Wat Res 43:1993–2001
5. Ingerslev F, Törang L, Nyholm N. (2000). Shake-flask test for determination of biodegradation rates of 14C labelled chemicals at low concentrations in surface water systems. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 45:274-283.
6. Jain RK, Kapur M, Labana S, Lal B, Sarma PM, Bhattacharya D, Thakur IS. (2005). Microbial diversity: application of microorganisms for the biodegradation of xenobiotics. Curr Sci 89:101 -112.
7. Junca H and Pieper DH. (2003). Amplified functional DNA restriction analysis to determine catechol 2,3-dioxygenase gene diversity in soil bacteria. J Microbiol Meth 55: 697-708.
8. Kraigher B, Kosjek T, Heath E, Kompare B, Mandic-Mulec I. (2008). Influence of pharmaceutical residue on the structure of activated sludge bacterial communities in wastewater treatment bioreactors. Wat Res 42:4578-4588.
9. Li YY, Zhou B, Li W, Peng X, Zhang JS, Yan YC. (2008). Mineralization of p –nitrophenol by a new isolate Arthrobacter sp. Y1. J Environ Sci Health Part B 43:692-697.
10. Lima SAC, Castro PML, Morais R. (2003). Biodegradation of p- nitrophenol by microalgae. Journal of Applied Phycology 15: 137-142.
11. Ludwig W, Strunk O, Westram R, Richter L, Meier H, Buchner A, et al. (2004). ARB: a software environment for sequence data. Nucleic Acids Res 32:1363-1371.
12. Nyholm N, Jacobsen BN, Pedersen BM, Poulsen O, Damborg A, Schultz B. (2003). Removal of micropollutants at PPB levels in laboratory activated sludge reactors under various operating conditions. Water Res 26:339-353.
13. Nyholm N and Kristensen P. (1992). Screening methods for assessment of biodegradability of chemicals in seawater – results of a ring test. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 23:161-172.
14. Paixão SM, Sàágua MC, Tenreiro R, Anselmo AM. (2005). Biodegradability testing using standardized microbial communities as inoculum. Environ Toxicol 21:131-140.
15. Paul D, Pandey G, Meier C, van der Meer JR, Jain RK. (2006). Bacterial community structure of a pesticide-contaminated site and assessment of changes induced in community structure during bioremediation. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 57:116-127.
16. Paul D, Rastogi N, Krauss U, Schlömann M, Pandey G, Pandey J, et al. (2008). Diversity of ‘benzenetriol dioxygenase’ involved in p-nitrophenol degradation in soil bacteria. Indian J. Microbiol 48:279-286.
17. Peng CG, Arakaki T, Jung K, Namkung E. (2000). Biodegradation of household chemicals in river water under untreated discharge conditions. Wat Sci Tech 42:377-382.
18. Pérez-Pantoja D, Donoso RA, Sánchez MA, González B. (2009). Genuine genetic redundancy in maleylacetate reductase-encoding genes involved in degradation of haloaromatic compounds in Cupriavidus necator JMP134. Microbiology 155:3641-3651.
19. Reid BJ, MacLeod CJA, Lee PH, Morriss AWJ, Stokes JD, Semple KT. (2001). A simple 14C – respirometric method for assessing microbial catabolic potential and contaminant bioavailability. FEMS Microbiol Lett 196:141-146.
20. Saavedra JM, Acevedo F, Gonzáles M, Seeger M. (2010). Mineralization of PCBs by the genetically modified strain Cupriavidus necator JMS34 and its application for bioremediation of PCBs in soil. Appl Microbiol & Biotech 87:1543- 1554.
21. Saber DL and Crawford RL. (1985). Isolation and characterization of Flavobacterium strains that degrade pentachlorophenol. Appl Environ Micro 50:1512-1518.
22. Seibert V, Stadler- Fritzsche K, Schlömann M. (1993). Purification and characterization of maleylacetate reductase from Alcaligenes eutrophus JMP134 (pJP4). J Bacteriol 175:6745-6754.
23. Seibert V, Thiel M, Hinner IS, Schlömann M. (2004). Characterization of a gene cluster encoding the maleylacetate reductase from Ralstonia eutropha 335T, an enzyme recruited for growth with 4-fluorobenzoate. Microbiol 150:463-472.
24. Spain JC and van Veld PA. (1983). Adaptation of natural microbial communities to degradation of xenobiotic compounds: effects of concentration, exposure, time, inoculum, and chemical structure. Appl Environ Micro 45:428-435.
25. Toräng L, Nyholm N. (2005). Biodegradation rates in adapted surface water can be assessed following a preadaptation period with semi-continuous operation. Chemosph 61, 1-10.
26. Wakelin SA, Colloff MJ, Kookana RS. (2008). Effect of Wastewater Treatment Plant effluent on microbial function and community structure in the sediment of a freshwater stream with variable seasonal flow. Appl Environ Micro 74:2659-2668.
27. Widada N, Nojiri H, Omori T. (2002). Recent developments in molecular techniques for identification and monitoring of xenobiotic-degrading bacteria and their catabolic genes in bioremediation. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 60:45-49.
28. Zaidi BR, Imam SH, Greene RV. (1996). Accelerated biodegradation of high and low concentrations of p-nitrophenol (PNP) by bacterial inoculation in industrial wastewater: the role of inoculum size on acclimation period. Current Microbiology 33: 292-296.
29. Zhang JJ, Liu H, Zhang XE, Zhou NY. (2009). Identification and characterization of catabolic para-nitrophenol 4-monooxygenase and para-benzoquinone reductase from Pseudomonas sp strain WBC-3. J Bacteriol 191: 2703-2710.
30. Zhou HW, Guo CL, Wong YS, Tam NFY. (2006). Genetic diversity of dioxygenase genes in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-degrading bacteria isolated from mangrove sediments. FEMS Microbiol Lett 262:148-157.