Aqua Enviro, Leeds, UK, 16th February 2010
- The theme of this meeting was "The Fate of Pharmaceuticals, Personal Care Products (PCP's) and Endocrine Disrupters in Wastewater Treatment". The aim of this one day course was to review our present state of knowledge and discuss: the origin of PCP's and the typical concentrations found in sewage influents, their fate during treatment process, those factors such as type of treatment process and operating conditions, that affect their concentrations in final effluent, their impact on the aquatic life in receiving watercourses, potential impacts on human health due to water abstraction, the overall risks that might arise from discharge of PCP's and an assessment of likely concerns.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) - 20th Annual Meeting, Seville, Spain, 23-27th May 2010
The theme of the conference was "Science and Technology for Environmental Protection" and it was focused on scientific achievements and technological innovations to set out correct approaches to protect our environment. During this conference we could face the important, immediate environmental threats, including chemical pollution, climate change, and water scarcity.
I had an opportunity to present some initial results during the poster presentation. My poster was entiltled "Influence of light on the biodegradation rate of para-nitrophenol (PNP)" and it was included in the session: "Advances in suistainable remediation of contaminated soils, sediments and groundwater: organic chemicals"
The UK Molecular Microbial Ecology Meeting (MMEG) - The University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 14-15th December 2010
- The meeting aimed to group researchers and PhD students from Universities within the UK. We had an opportunity to present our PhD research projects, learn more about a range of Microbial Ecology Techniques and their applications as well as to Network with other researchers.
- During this meeting I gave my first presentation to such a wide public. My talk was entitled: "The effect of light on the biodegradation of para- nitrophenol (PNP)"
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) - 21st annual meeting, Milan, Italy, 15-19th May 2011
- The theme of the meeting was "Ecosystem Protection in a Suistainable World: a Challenge for Science and Regulation" which reflected the commitment of SETAC to promote and, contribute to environmental quality and suistainability in a time of rapid human population growth and development, with increasing demands of food, water, energy, natural resources and goods.
- I had an opportunity to give a talk which was entitled "The biodegradation of para- nitrophenol in river water: a functional gene approach" and it was presented within the session: "Biodegradation and bioremediation of organic pollutants"
Unilever Workshop, Safety and Envrionmental Assurance Centre (SEAC), Colworth Science Park, UK, 18-19th October 2011
- The theme of the meeting was " A vision of risk-based chemical management in Asia: developing tools and expertise through partnership"
- The Safety and Environmental Assurance centre (SEAC) is responsible for assessing the environmental risk of chemicals used in all Unilever home and personal care products. The aim of this workshop was to bring together a new research cohort from Asia, Europe and North America that will develop the science and tools needed to underpin environmental risk assessment of chemicals used in home and personal care products in growing markets across Asia. The environmental safety team within SEAC provided an overview of their research activities to date. Project team discussion about the scientific developments and research priorities took place on the second day of workshop.
- The main results from my 2 years of PhD research were presented by Dr Gary Bending within the session: "Impact zone model (biodegradation and protection goals)". The talk was entilted: "Environmental relevance in chemical bidegradation".
- I had an opportunity to present my research during the poster session. My poster was entitled: "The biodegradation of PNP in river water: a functional marker approach"
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
The UK Molecular Microbial Ecology Meeting (MMEG) - The University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK, 13-14th December 2011
The meeting aimed to group researchers and PhD students from Universities within the UK. We had an opportunity to present our PhD research projects, learn more about a range of Microbial Ecology Techniques and their applications as well as to Network with other researchers.
During this meeting I gave presentation which was entitled: "The biodegradation of para- nitrophenol (PNP): a functional gene approach"
Metagenomics workshop, CGR, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK, 25th-27th June 2012
The workshop covered the following topics:
- Introduction to next generation sequencing platforms.Introduction to the microbiome and the field of metagenomics
- Presentation on applications of metagenomics to human health and disease
- Experimental design considerations.Metagenomic applications in environmental sciences.Sample preparation
- Introduction to analysis tools and software packages
- Case Studies: Metagenomics of landfill environments
14th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME), Copenhagen, Denmark, 19th-25th August 2012
- Scientific program, based on the theme "the power of the small" inlcuded the following plenary presenters: Martin Ackermann, Nicole Dubilier, Janet Jansson, Víctor de Lorenzo, Minik Rosing, Michael Wagner and Liping Zhao.
- The program covered important fields of genomics and diversity, evolution and novel organisms, process regulation and pathways, complex community studies and interactions of microbial networks, specification of functional traits, regulation of expression
- Microbial Ecology studies were presented, including both, single-cell and community studies
During this meeting I had the chance to present a poster entitled: "The biodegradation of para-nitrophenol with river water biofilms: a functional marker approach"