Crop agriculture provides mankind’s increasing population with foods, fibres and fuel - this course provides the knowledge and practical skills in crop management and crop improvement. You will gain a combination of practical skills and academic understanding to develop a critical and creative mindset. You will learn the principles of crop production and the latest advances in plant pathology, integrated pest management and soil health.
Warwick is a highly reputable university with a fantastic range of facilities and has a great student atmosphere around campus. The best thing about the course were the lecturers, with each one having a real passion for their area of expertise. The best thing about Warwick were the people on the course.
Video courtesy of www.postgraduatesearch.com
Entry requirements: A second class honours degree, or an equivalent qualification in a scientific or another appropriate discipline. English language standard IELTS 6.5
Flexible study: Full time 12 months. Part time 24 months.
Module options: 8 core modules, up to 2 optional modules and a course project, dissertation or placement.
Module assessments by coursework and exam.
You will take 8 core modules, up to 2 optional modules and an individual research project, placement or dissertation. Depending on your academic background you will find elements of some modules harder, or easier, than others.
Our course and module content and schedule is continually reviewed and updated to reflect the latest research expertise at Warwick. So it is therefore very important that you check back here for the latest information before you apply and when you accept an offer (as set out in our terms and conditions).
- Crop Physiology and Production
- Advances in Crop Protection
- Soil, Water and Plant Mineral Nutrition
- Climate Change
- Organic and Low Input Systems
- Cereal, Oilseed and Root Crop Agronomy
- Introduction to BASIS Crop Protection
- Plant Breeding & Trial Design for Registration
- Project/Work Placement
(Availability dependent on demand)
- Biological Invasions in Changing Environments
- Biodiversity, Conservation & Ecosystem Services
- Challenges of Global Food Security
- International Environmental Law
- Microbiomics & Metagenomics
- Marketing Management
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Business Strategy
Additional vocational training
- PA1 - Safe Use of Pesticides (By request*)
- PA4 - Pesticide Granule Application (By request*)
- PA6 - Knapsack/Hand-held applicators (By request*)
BASIS Registration (usually one week intensive revision schedule and exam; By request*)
* These modules will carry an extra cost to cover additional training by external specialists and examination.
Assessment is continuous and varies between modules. It includes essays, seminar presentations, practical reports, oral evaluation and assessed group work. The project will be assessed by a seminar presentation and a thesis.
Please note that modules and courses on offer may change. We reserve the right not to run certain modules/courses based on programme review, staff availability and student demand.
You will acquire the skills necessary for career paths in the agriculture of crops, agronomy, crop trial management, and as policy development officers, technical commodity specialists and professional advisors. You will also be able to join sales teams for fertiliser, agrochemical and other specialist supply companies.
We expect graduates to become the industry’s future managers and leaders. Alumni have gone on to study for a PhD or, for example, into agronomy and agricultural consulting.
Our dedicated placement officer can help you explore opportunities to secure a work or project placement.
The links with experts in the industry that we made are useful when job hunting. I have also become more aware of the problems facing global agriculture and food security, which has made me want to become part of a team that can hep resolve these issues.
Career destinations include:
- Regional Technical Agronomist at Bayer CropScience
- Trainee Agronomist at Valley Produce Ltd
- Trainee Product Technologist at Berry World
- Trainee Agronomist at Agrovista
- Crop Trialist at Eurofins
- Agronomist and Agricultural Consultant at Agrinig, Nigeria
- Senior Field Technician at University of Warwick
First Degree: Agriculture with Crop Management
First job after graduating: Soil & Water Research Assistant at Innovation for Agriculture
msc dot lifesciences at warwick dot ac dot uk
Tel: +44 (0)24 765 23540
Chat to us live:
Register for our live chats with School of Life Sciences staff July- September.
You can book to visit us on one of our Open Days or for an individual visit.