Please read our student and staff community guidance on COVID-19
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Frequently asked questions - MSc Environmental Bioscience in a Changing Climate

How do I apply?

The preferred application route is through our online application form. You must pay a small application fee or your application will not be processed.

What first degree do I need?

You should have obtained a good second class honours degree, or an equivalent qualification in a bioscience, environmental science or another appropriate discipline, for example geography or social sciences. In certain circumstances other qualifications and experience may be considered in lieu of normal entry requirements. For more details contact

How do I know if my qualification is equivalent to a UK second class degree?

This will depend on your country of origin and the institution in which you studied. Please contact our Postgraduate Admissions Team for an answer to your specific circumstances.

What standard of English language do I need?

You will need a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL (iBT) 92.

If you have less than the required minimum then you can attend a pre-sessional English course at the University. Information can be found at 

If you are from overseas, but have been educated entirely in English for your degree then an official letter from your University stating this will meet our requirements.

Once at the University, students can attend classes to improve their English language skills.

Do I need to provide references?

All applicants are required to provide details of two academic referees. Your nominated referees will be invited to submit an electronic reference by email (provided you include their contact email address in your application form). Alternatively references can be sent as paper copy to Postgraduate Admissions (Postgraduate Admissions Team, University House, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 8UW), but these must be signed original paper copies on headed note paper.

What information do I need to provide after making an application?

After making your application you will need to provide degree and English language proficiency certificates. Comprehensive details are available from the Postgraduate Admissions Team regarding admissions requirements for postgraduate study.

If you are an appropriate applicant you will be sent a conditional offer, which will be converted to an unconditional offer once all requirements are met. At certain times of the year your offer letter may take a few weeks to reach you due to the very high numbers of applications that the University has to process.

I have not yet completed my degree or English language test. Should I still apply?

Apply as soon as possible to give yourself plenty of time to arrange accommodation and a visa, if necessary. You will be sent a conditional offer. As soon as you have your result certificates send them to Postgraduate Admissions. Once your certificates are validated your offer will be converted to unconditional.

What is the closing date for application?

For non EU applicants the closing date is 31 July. We recommend you apply as soon as possible so that you can arrange accommodation and a visa in good time.

What are the course fees?

Course fees

Are there any scholarships?

Yes, there are scholarship and funding opportunities. See Fees and Funding

What nationality will my fellow students be?

Our students come from all over the world and we have 8 students studying this course for the academic year 2019/20. There are a further 16 students on the related Food Security and Sustainable Crop Production MSc courses.

What is the basic MSc structure?

View course structure

How is the MSc assessed?

Modules are assessed in a variety of ways including oral presentation and a written assignment.

Who teaches the MSc?

Lecturers and module leaders are experts drawn from Life Sciences, or, in some cases, expert professionals from the relevant industries.

Will there be any industrial placements associated with the MSc?

These MSc includes a research project, dissertation or placement. This is timetabled to run from April with a dissertation hand-in date in August. Any student who wishes to get career experience by doing a placement is encouraged to do so. Placement students need to be let the module leader know in Term 1 so that suitable host organisations can be contacted.

Is there any laboratory work associated with the MSc?

Yes, several modules include practical classes using the most up to date techniques.

Can I visit the University and/or the School of Life Sciences?

Please find information on visiting the University and Life Sciences. You can come to one of our Open Days or we are more than happy to give individual tours.

Alternatively, if you cannot actually visit us then why not visit our Online Open Day

What are my career prospects on completion?

This MSc is equally suitable for those looking to begin a research career in fundamental or applied environmental bioscience or those looking to enhance their experience and improve their employment prospects in governmental or non-governmental organisations concerned with environmental policy development. In particular graduates could expect to work in areas related to sustainability in farming systems, rural development, environmental management, environmental policy and environmental consultancy.

The University has an excellent careers service. For more information please go to

Does the University provide accommodation?

The University will provide on campus accommodation for international students who apply by the deadline. Late applicants are not guaranteed campus accommodation but will be given help to find accommodation in the surrounding area. For more information please go to

Can I undertake part time work while studying for my MSc?

The MSc is intensive and whilst you could undertake a few hours of work each week full-time students will not have time to work sufficient hours to support themselves.

What help do I get as an international student?

The University has a dedicated International Office to help you with any issues, including securing a visa. They can be found at