Practical laboratory training in molecular biology and protein expression. The vast majority of this two week intensive course consists of hands-on laboratory work, providing the opportunity to learn vital and fundamental laboratory skills. A theoretical background to the techniques is provided through accompanying discussion. The course will provide the opportunity to demonstrate your skill in the laboratory through your own individual lab book write-up. The course will also give an insight into state-of-the-art methodologies used in a broad range of topics and will be informal but intensive with a high level of staffing to encourage interaction.
This course is designed for anyone wanting a basic, hands-on introduction to practical biochemistry and molecular biology techniques including students, new graduates, health professionals and pharmaceutical industry personnel. It is aimed at those with no/little laboratory experience. Delegates need a background in Biological Science.
- Fundamentals of laboratory work (safety, weights & measures, buffers, using a pH meter)
- Purification and analysis of plasmid DNA (mini-preps, agarose gel electrophoresis, restriction digests, making plates)
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (preparation of DNA for sequencing, amplification, primer design, sequence analysis)
- Cloning into an E.coli expression (gene cloning, sequencing & sequence analysis)
- Targeted mutagenesis (sequence design, mutagenesis & sequence analysis)
- Laser confocal & electron microscopy (sample preparation, imaging & image analysis)
- Protein expression in E.coli (culture induction, buffer preparation & protein expression)
- Protein purification (sequence design, mutagenesis & sequence analysis)
- Protein analysis and quantification (SDS gel interpretation, Western blotting, mass spectrometry analysis)
For further details please contact Denny Croft / Therese Lepicard
Tel: 024 7657 4995
Comments from past delegates:
"Very much enjoyed the course. It was well organised and all involved were extremely helpful; definitely got monies worth."
"I was particularly impressed not just by the knowledge of all the staff/helpers but also by their enthusiasm and eagerness to help. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course."