Coming to Warwick Life Sciences means you will be highly employable when you graduate. A Life Sciences degree from the University of Warwick is an excellent qualification for securing your future career in a diverse range of industries and employment sectors. Our Royal Society of Biology accredited degrees have a strong reputation with employers. We work with you from the outset to develop the skills demanded by today’s employers.
86% of all Life Sciences graduates are in graduate level work or further study 6 months after graduation (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DHLE) Survey 2016/17)
85% of MBio students graduated with a First Class degree in 2017
The University of Warwick is the third most targeted university by the UK's top 100 employers (High Fliers Report 2018)
The Government’s 2017 & 2018 Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) show that Warwick's Life Sciences graduates are ranked in the top 10 in the UK for high earnings five years after their graduation.
Helping you find the right career
Throughout your time in the School of Life Sciences your personal tutor will work in conjunction with Warwick Careers and Skills to help you to find the right career for you. Through our unique taught tutorial system, you put into practice a range of scientific and transferable skills. Life Sciences students are highly employable and go on to a range of scientific and non-scientific careers.
Our unique careers guidance service is tailored to your academic subject area. Our team offer a range of activities within the School to help you to consider your career once you graduate. Opportunities include:
- One-to-one careers advice appointments within the School
- Termly networking events featuring presentations from Life Sciences alumni and employers about a range of careers
- A wide range of summer work placement opportunities in industry and the School
- Careers talks throughout the degrees to ensure that you are thinking about your next steps throughout the programme
- Links with Warwick alumni to guide you through applications to particular careers
- We run a successful Medical School Application Support Programme (MASP) to prepare those interested in applying for graduate entry medicine. Since the programme started 4 years ago we have achieved remarkable success with 83% of MASP students getting an interview for Medical School and 66% being offered a place.
What can I do with a degree in Life Sciences?
Our graduates have careers in a wide range of sectors, including:
|Drug Research and Development||Education|
|Public Health||Finance and Accountancy|
|Examples of occupations of our graduates include:||Employers of our graduates include:|
|Research and Development Associate||GlaxoSmithKline|
|Editorial Assistant (Science Publisher)||KPMG|
|Laboratory Technician||NHS Hospitals|
|NHS Research Project Assistant||Public Health England|
|Management Development Associate||Taylor and Francis Scientific Publishing|
|Recruitment Consultant||RAGT Seeds|
|Seed Pathology Technician||Diabetes UK|
|NHS Assistant Theatre Practitioner||TeachFirst|
Further study courses for Life Sciences graduates
A large number of our students enjoy their subject so much that they choose to take a further degree, a Masters or PhD.
Other options include undertaking postgraduate training to become a doctor, teacher or lawyer. We run a successful Medical School Application Support programme to help if you want to apply for graduate entry medicine. Since the programme started 4 years ago we have achieved remarkable success with 83% of MASP students getting an interview for Medical School and 66% being offered a place. Our new 'Introduction to Secondary Teaching in Biology' third year optional module will be of interest if you want a career in teaching.
Examples of further study
- MSc Biotechnology Bioprocessing and Business Management
- MSc Environmental Bioscience in a Changing Climate
- PhD Life Sciences
- PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
- Graduate Entry Medicine
- PhD Biomedical Research
- MSc Molecular Medicine
- MSc Business (Accountancy and Finance)