Dr Maryam Aliee
I am a post-doctoral research fellow working as part of the NTD modelling consortium in SBIDER. I am excited about challenges in life sciences and use mathematical and physical tools to understand them. My background is mainly in biophysics and I spent several years to address various questions regarding the development of multi-cellular organisms from a theoretical point of view. Recently, I became more interested in epidemiological problems and try to understand dynamics and control of infectious diseases with the help of mathematical models.
At the moment, I am involved in a few problems regarding gHAT (Gambiense human African trypanosomiasis) dynamics and elimination goals. We use a stochastic model to analyse the probability of elimination of gHAT at the level of health zones under different strategies. Based on the stochastic model, we develop a framework to estimate the time to extinction of infectious diseases in deterministic frameworks. In another project, we explore the potential role of asymptomatically infected individuals on gHAT dynamics with proposing a minimal model to account for the asymptomatic population in the established frameworks.
- M. Aliee, K. S. Rock,M. J. Keeling, ``Estimating the time to extinction of infectious diseases in mean-field approaches". MedRxiv, 2020.07.10.20150359 (2020).
- S. Castano, M. Aliee, M. J. Keeling, N. Chitnis, K. S. Rock, ``Screening strategies for a sustainable endpoint for gambiense sleeping sickness", The Journal of Infectious Diseases 221: S539 (2019).
- M. Aliee, A. Boudaoud, ``Patterns of polar domains in a spatiotemporal model of interacting polarities", Phys. Rev. Lett. 123: 028101 (2019)
- M. Michel, M. Aliee, K. Rudolf, L. Bialas, F. Jülicher, C. Dahmann, ``The selector gene apterous and Notch are required to locally increase cell bond tension at the Drosophila dorsoventral compartment boundary", PLoS ONE 11: e0161668 (2016).
- K. Rudolf, D. Umetsu, M. Aliee, L. Sui, F. Jülicher, C. Dahmann, ``A local difference in Hedgehog signal transduction increases mechanical cell bond tension and biases cell intercalations along the Drosophila anteroposterior compartment boundary", Development 142 , 3845 (2015).
- D. Umetsu, B. Aigouy, M. Aliee, L. Sui, S. Eaton, F. Jülicher, C. Dahmann, ``Local increases in mechanical tension shape compartment boundaries by biasing cell intercalations", Current Biology 24, 1798 (2014).
- J. Ranft, M. Aliee, J. Prost, F. Jülicher, J.-F. Joanny, ``Mechanically driven interface propagation in biological tissues", New Journal of Physics 16, 035002 (2014).
- M. Aliee, J. Röper, K. P. Landsberg, C. Pentzold, T. J. Widmann, F. Jülicher, C. Dahmann, ``Physical mechanisms shaping the Drosophila dorsoventral compartment boundary", Current Biology 22, 967-976 (2012).
- M. Aliee, A. Najafi, ``Mechanical properties of an adsorbed elastic polymer in contact with a rigid membrane", Phys. Rev. E 78, 051802 (2008).