Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Course Transfers

Note: All course transfers must be requested before 1st August in the summer before you would like to have transferred.

Transfers within the Mathematics Department

Transfer between courses while your home department is Mathematics (i.e. BSc. Maths all years, MMath all years, Maths/Business years one and 2, Maths/Economics and Maths/Philosophy year 1) is straightforward provided you have taken the necessary prerequisite modules. For example, transfer from Mathematics to Mathematics and Economics during the first year will require that you take EC106 or EC107, from Mathematics to Maths and Philosophy you must have taken/be taking the core Philosophy modules.

Discuss it with your Personal Tutor and pick up a pink "change of course" form from the Undergraduate Office.

Transfers out of the Mathematics Department

If you wish to transfer to a course outside of the Mathematics Department then you will need to talk to the department you wish to transfer to in person about their criteria and whether or not they are prepared to take you. You should also discuss this with your Personal Tutor, although the decision would not be up to us. Once they have accepted you, they will ask us to initiate the transfer. Note that for transfer into the second year of MORSE EC107 Economics I is an acceptable subsitute for EC106 Introduction to Quantitive Economics.

Transfers into the Mathematics Department - first years

Transfers into the first year of a Mathematics degree from a non-maths related course, whilst unusual, may be possible in exceptional circumstances. As a minimum you would be required to hold our entrance requirement.

Transfer from a joint degree (e.g. Discrete Maths, MORSE, Maths/Philosophy or Maths/Physics) to a degree within the Mathematics Department (e.g. Maths BSc. or the MMath) is not possible during the academic year except in exceptional circumstances (and even then a bare minimum you will have to have achieved our entrance qualification, but even this is not a guarantee of acceptance).

Transfers into the second year of the Mathematics Degree

If you wish to transfer to the Mathematics department once you have completed your first year, into year 2 of a Mathematics Degree, then you should contact the Mathematics Department (Undergraduate Office), but only after you have your end of year results in June/July. The Mathematics department will only accept high calibre students who have shown an ability to cope with the core maths modules, and even then only if there is room to take them on.

As a minimum, to be considered for a transfer you must gain at least 70% overall (your end of year average) and over 65% in all of the following modules (although evidence of a higher standard in at least some of the modules would be required). Transfer is entirely at the discretion of the Director of Undergraduate Studies who will take other things into consideration (not limited to: number of maths modules considerably above 65%, whether there is room in the second year, comparison to other students requesting transfer):

MA106 Linear Algebra

MA113 Differential Equations A (or MA133 Differential Equations for Maths/Physics and Maths/Philosophy)

MA137 Mathematical Analysis (or MA131 for Maths/Philosophy)

MA138 Sets and Numbers (or MA132 for Maths/Philosophy)

MA134 Geometry and Motion (not Maths/Physics)

Note that you will know the final result of MA138 Sets and Numbers during Term 2, so if that result is less than 60% then you will not be able to transfer.

Acceptance would still be at the discretion of the Mathematics department, and fulfilling the above criteria would not be a guarantee of success.

Transfers into the Mathematics Department - second years

Transfer into the Mathematics department at the end of the second year would require the above criteria in the first year and comparable performance in the second year whilst taking all the core maths modules for the second year of the BSc. or MMath (apart from Second Year Essay which is not available to students outside of the maths department). Queries about transferring should be directed towards the Undergraduate Office in the first instance.