I am a PhD Student in the MathSys CDT. I am currently based in the Alan Turing Institute in the British Library (London). Normally, I can be found in the first floor.
My PhD project is centered around Traffic modelling, prediction and control, using a variety of tools to create novel applications of machine learning and time series analysis. Currently I make myself busy trying to put little brains inside traffic lights and hoping for them to optimize global flow.
Education and experience
- 2007-2012 BSc Aerospace Engineering: Specialization in Aircrafts - Universidad Politecnica de Madrid
- 2012-2015 Professional Experience in Aerospace Engineering (see LinkedIn)
- 2015-2016 MSc Mathematics for Real-World Systems - University of Warwick
- 2017-2020 PhD Mathematics for Real World Systems - University of Warwick
- 2018-2019 Enrichment Year PhD Student - Alan Turing Institute (London)
Recent and Current Projects
- Internship at the Alan Turing Institute. Optimising flow within mobility systems with AI (Reinforcement Learning), in a collaboration with the Toyota Mobility Foundation. Working with Sir Alan Wilson (UCL, ATI), Neil Walton (Manchester) and Damon Wischik (Cambridge).
Research Group Project with Ayman Boustati, Peter De Ford, Laura Guzman and Guillem Mosquera on Intelligent Mobility Applications for the UK Strategic Road Network. This project is in collaboration with the THALES Group and is under the supervision of Dr Colm Connaughton.
- MSc Project on Simulation Optimisation with Simulated Annealing. In collaboration with Lanner and under the supervision of Dr Robin Ball and Dr Juergen Branke.
- Independent project on sociophysics titled The Rise of Collaboration: Convergence in Social Networks with Directed Punishment with Samuel Johnson.
- Smart Sustainable Cities project with Siemens Traffic in the Alan Turing Institute, London. It involved deploying independent Q-Learning Agents in each intersection of the Coventry city centre road map.
- PhD on Traffic Management and Prediction with Dr Colm Connaughton. The project is a continuation of the Research Group Project. Initially we are focusing on the limitations of forecasting based on profiling time series. Next steps will involve Shockwave Absorption, Data Assimilation and Fluid Dynamics models.
- Robotics projects designing and building electromechanical systems and implementing their Control Systems.
- Different projects in Aerospace Engineering mostly centered on the Primary Structure of Airbus A350 & A380.
- Estimating Baseline Travel Times for the UK Strategic Road Network, A. Cabrejas Egea, P. de Ford Gonzalez, Colm Connaughton IEEE ITSC 2018, Main Conference. Nov 2018.
- Mitigation of Operational Risks in Banking with Machine Learning. Alan Turing Institute. Exp. Dec 2018.
- Minimizing Pollution and Emissions in Urban Traffic Control. Siemens and Alan Turing Institute. Exp. Dec 2018.
- Using Wavelets to extract Large Deviations in Traffic Time Series, A. Cabrejas Egea, C. Connaughton (in preparation). Exp. Q1 2019.
- Seminars IB121 Quantitative Analysis for Management I - Warwick Business School
- Seminars IB122 Quantitative Analysis for Management II - Warwick Business School
- Seminars QS104 Introduction to Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences - Warwick Q-Step Centre
- Seminars QS906 - Big Data, Hype or Revolution? - Warwick Q-Step Centre
In my spare time I enjoy swimming, reading, playing basketball, tabletop, grand strategy games and travelling.
- Machine Learning and Reinforcement Learning
- Optimization, Control and Operations Research
- Swarm Dynamics and Collective Behaviour
- Economic and Agents-Based Games in Networks, and Social Behaviour