Below is a list of the papers published by Theme 3 within the CLAHRC WM grant period. Where possible, we also include the Altmetric score of each research output. Altmetrics are metrics and qualitative data that are complementary to traditional, citation-based metrics. They can include (but are not limited to) peer reviews on Faculty of 1000, citations on Wikipedia and in public policy documents, discussions on research blogs, mainstream media coverage, bookmarks on reference managers like Mendeley, and mentions on social networks.
- Tsertsvadze A, Royle P, Seedat F, Cooper J, Crosby R, McCarthy N. Community-onset sepsis and its public health burden: a systematic review. Systematic Reviews. 2016; 5(1):81.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Wallis MG, Jenkinson D, Adekanmbi V, Parsons H, Dunn J, Stallard N, Szczepura A, Gates S, Kearins O, Duncan A, Hudson S, Clarke A. Effect of Using the Same vs Different Order for Second Readings of Screening Mammograms on Rates of Breast Cancer Detection: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016;315(18):1956-1965.
- Cooper JA, Moss SM, Smith S, Seaman HE, Taylor-Phillips S, Parsons N, Halloran SP. FIT for the Future - A Case for Risk-Based Colorectal Cancer Screening Using the Faecal Immunochemical Test. Colorectal Disease. 2016; 18(7):650-3.
- Robertson W, Murhy M, Johnson R. Evidence base for the prevention and management of child obesity. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2016;26(5):212-218.
- Auguste PA, Tsertsvadze A, Pink J, Court R, Seedat F, Gurung T, Freeman K, Taylor-Phillips S, Walker C, Madan J, Kandala N-B, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P. Accurate diagnosis of latent tuberculosis in children people who are immunocompromised or at risk from immunosuppression and recent arrivals from countries with a high incidence of tuberculosis: systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess. 2016;20(38):1-678.
- Lindenmeyer A, Greenfield SM, Greenfield C, Jolly K. How Do People With COPD Value
Different Activities? An Adapted Meta-Ethnography of Qualitative Research. Qual Health Res. 2016; [epub ahead of print].
- Perkins G, Griffiths F, Slowther A, George R, Fritz Z, Satherley P, Williams B, Waugh N, Cooke M, Chambers S, Mockford C, Freeman K, Grove A, Field R, Owen S, Clarke B. Do not attempt cardiopulmonary resuscitation (dnacpr) decisions: evidence synthesis. Health Services and Delivery Research. 2016;4(11).
- Colquitt JL, Loveman E, O'Malley C, Azevedo LB, Mead E, Al-Khudairy L, Ells LJ, Metzendorf MI, Rees K. Diet physical activity and behavioural interventions for the treatment of overweight or obesity in preschool children up to the age of 6 years. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2016; 3:CD012105.
- Clegg A, Bates C, Young J, Ryan R, Nichols L, Ann Teale E, Mohammed MA, Parry J, Marshall T. Development and validation of an electronic frailty index using routine primary care electronic health record data. Age and Ageing. 2016;pii: afw039 [Epub ahead of print].
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, McPherson P, Cholo AT, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Clarke A, Corbett EL. Cost and quality of life analysis of HIV self-testing and facility-based HIV testing and counselling in Blantyre Malawi. BMC Medicine. 2016;14:34.
- Jolly K, Majothi S, Sitch AJ, Heneghan NR, Riley RD, Moore DJ, Bates EJ, Turner AM, Bayliss SE, Price MJ, Singh SJ, Adab P, Fitzmaurice DA, Jordan RE. Self-management of health care behaviours for COPD: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2016;17(11):305-26.
- Sidhu M, Daley A, Jolly K. Evaluation of a text supported weight maintenance programme ‘Lighten Up Plus’ following a weight reduction programme: randomised controlled trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016;13(1):19.
- Dyakova M, Shantikumar S, Colquitt JL, Drew C, Sime M, MacIver J, Wright N, Clarke A, Rees K. Systematic versus opportunistic risk assessment for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (Review). The Cochrane Library. 2016;1:CD010411.
- Sidhu M, Aiyegbusi OL, Daley A, Jolly K. Older men’s experience of weight loss and weight loss maintenance interventions: Qualitative findings from the Lighten Up Plus Trial. Journal of Obesity & Weight Loss [Epub ahead of print].
- Loveman E, Al-Khudairy L, Johnson RE, Robertson W, Colquitt JL, Mead EL, Ells LJ, Metzendorf MI, Rees K. Parent-only interventions for childhood overweight or obesity in children aged 5 to 11 year. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015 Issue 12. Art. No.: CD012008.
- Hartley L, May MD, Loveman E, Colquitt JL, Rees K. Dietary fibre for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016 Issue 1. Art. No.: CD011472.
- Fruhstorfer BH, Mousoulis C, Uthman OA, Robertson W. Socio-economic status and overweight or obesity among school-age children in sub-Saharan Africa – a systematic review. Clinical Obesity. 6(1):19-32.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Mistry H, Leslie R, Todkill D, Tsertsvadze A, Connock M, Clarke A. Extending the diabetic retinopathy screening interval beyond 1 year: systematic review. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2016, 100: 105-114.
- Adekanmbi VT, Ngianga-Bakwin K, Stranges S, Uthman OA. Factors That Predict Differences in Childhood Mortality in Nigerian Communities: A Prognostic Model. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2016;168:144-150.e1.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Freeman K, Geppert J, Agbebiyi A, Uthman O, Madan J, Clarke A, Quenby S, Clarke A. Accuracy of Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing using Cell Free DNA for Detection of Down Edwards and Patau Syndromes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. BMJ Open 2016;6:e010002.
- Taylor RS, Hayward C, Eyre V, Austin J, Davies R, Doherty P, Jolly K, Wingham J, Van Lingen R, Abraham C, Green C, Warren FC, Britten N, Greaves CJ, Singh S, Buckingham S, Paul K, Dalal H, on behalf of the REACH-HF investigators. The clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness
of the Rehabilitation Enablement in Chronic Heart Failure (REACH-HF) facilitated self-care rehabilitation intervention in heart failure patients and caregivers: rationale and protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2015;5:e009994.
- Fleming J, Kamal A, Harrison E, Hamborg T, Stewart-Brown SL, Thorogood M, Griffiths F, Robertson W. Evaluation of recruitment methods for a trial targeting childhood obesity : families for Health randomised controlled trial. Trials. 16(1):535.
- Al-Khudairy L, Hartley L, Clar C, Flowers N, Hooper L, Rees K. Omega 6 fatty acids for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015 Issue 11. Art. No. CD011094.
- Freeman K, Connock M, Cummins E, Gurung T, Taylor-Phillips S, Court R, Saunders M, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P. Fluorouracil plasma monitoring: systematic review and economic evaluation of the My5-FU assay for guiding dose adjustment in patients receiving
fluorouracil chemotherapy by continuous infusion. Health Technology Assessment. 19(91):1-321 v-vi.
- Irwin R, Stokes T, Marshall T. Practice-level quality improvement interventions in primary care: a review of systematic reviews. Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2015 Nov;16(6):556-77.
- Flowers N, Wheelhouse R, Stranges S, Rees K. Vitamin C supplementation for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014 Issue 5. Art. No.: CD011114.
- Hartley L, Clar C, Ghannam O, Flowers N, Stranges S, Rees K. Vitamin K for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015 Issue 9. Art. No.CD011148.
- Martin N, Germanò R, Hartley L, Adler AJ, Rees K. Nut consumption for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Sep 28;9:CD011583.
- Sagar VA, Davies EJ, Briscoe S, Coats AJ, Dalal HM, Lough F, Rees K, Singh S, Taylor RS. Exercise-based rehabilitation for heart failure : systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Heart. 2015 Jan 28;2(1):e000163.
- Flowers N, Hartley L, Todkill D, Stranges S, Rees K. Co-enzyme Q10 supplementation for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;12:CD010405.
- Hartley L, Lee MS, Kwong JSW, Flowers N, Todkill D, Ernst E, Rees K. Qigong for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Jun 11;6:CD010390.
- Hartley L, Clar C, Flowers N, Stranges S, Rees K. Vitamin K for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014 Issue 6. Art. No.: CD011148.
- Hartley L, Mavrodaris A, Flowers N, Ernst E, Rees K. Transcendental meditation for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014 Issue 12. Art. No.: CD010359.
- Mitchell KE, Evans RA, Johnson-Warrington V, Rees K, Harvey-Dunstan T, Singh SJ. Unsupervised exercise training versus no exercise training for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015 Issue 1. Art. No.: CD011443.
- Clar C, Oseni Z, Flowers N, Keshtkar-Jahromi M, Rees K. Influenza vaccines for preventing cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015 Issue 5. Art. No.: CD005050.
- Daley AJ, Jolly K, Jebb SA, Lewis AL, Clifford S, Roalfe AK, Kenyon S, Aveyard P. Feasibility and acceptability of regular weighing setting weight gain limits and providing feedback by community midwives to prevent excess weight gain during pregnancy: randomised controlled trial and qualitative study. BMC Obesity. 2015;2:35.
- Uthman OA, Hartley L, Rees K, Taylor F, Ebrahim S, Clarke A. Multiple risk factor interventions for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in low- and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Aug 4;8:CD011163.
- Monahan M, Boelaert K, Jolly K, Chan S, Barton P, Roberts TE. Costs and benefits of iodine supplementation for pregnant women in a mildly to moderately iodine-deficient population: a modelling analysis. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015 Sep;3(9):715-22.
- Madigan CD, Daley AJ, Lewis AL, Aveyard P, Jolly K. Is self-weighing an effective tool for weight loss: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015. 12(1):104.
- Kinyoki DK, Berkley JA, Moloney GM, Kandala N-B, Noor AM. Predictors of the risk of malnutrition among children under the age of 5 years in Somalia. Public Health Nutrition 2015 19:1-9.
- Grove A, Currie G, Clarke A. The barriers and facilitators to the implementation of clinical guidance in elective orthopaedic surgery: a qualitative study protocol. Implement Science 2015 Jun 2;10:81.
- Toulis KA Nirantharakumar K Ryan R Marshall M Hemming K. Bisphosphonates and Glucose Homeostasis: A Population-Based Retrospective Cohort Study. Journal Clinical Endocrinology Metabolism. 2015 100(5):1933–1940.
- Jordan RE, Majothi S, Heneghan NR, Blissett DB, Riley RD, Sitch AJ, Price MJ, Bates EJ, Turner AM, Bayliss S, Moore D, Singh S, Adab P, Fitzmaurice DA, Jowett S, Jolly K. Supported self-management for patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): an evidence synthesis and economic analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2015: 19(36):1516.
- Majothi S, Jolly K, Heneghan NR, Price MJ, Riley RD, Turner AM, Bayliss SE, Moore DJ, Singh SJ, Adab P, Fitzmaurice DA, Jordan RE. Supported self-management for patients with COPD who have recently been discharged from hospital: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015;10: 853-67.
- Burge PS, Moore VC, Burge CBSG, Dev Vellore A, Robertson AS, Robertson W. Can serial PEF measurements separate occupational asthma from allergic alveolitis? Occupational Medicine. 2015; 65(3):251-5.
- Pulikottil-Jacob R, Connock M, Kandala NB, Mistry H, Grove A, Freeman K, Costa M, Sutcliffe P, Clarke A. Cost effectiveness of total hip arthroplasty in osteoarthritis: comparison of devices with differing bearing surfaces and modes of fixation. The Bone and Joint Journal
Bone Joint J. 2015 Apr;97-B(4):449-57.
- Tsertsvadze A, Gurung T, Court R, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P. Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of elemental nutrition for the maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2015, 19(26): 1-138.
- Kidney E, Berkman L, Macherianakis A, Morton D, Dowswell G, Hamilton W, Ryan R, Awbery H, Greenfield S, Marshall T. A feasibility study of the use of information technology for identification of suspected colorectal cancer in primary care: the CREDIBLE study. British Journal of Cancer. 2015; 112 Suppl 1:S70-6.
- Haroon S, Adab P, Riley R, Marshall T, Lancashire R, Jordan R. Predicting risk of COPD in primary care: development and validation of a clinical risk score. BMJ Open Respiratory Research. 2015, 2(1):e000060.
- Wingham J, Frost J, Britten N, Jolly K, Greaves C, Abraham C, Green C, Dalal H on behalf of the REACH-HF research investigators. Needs of caregivers in heart failure management: A qualitative study. Chronic Illness. [ePub]
- Kandala N-B, Connock M, Pulikottil-Jacob R, Sutcliffe P, Crowther MJ, Grove A, Mistry H, Clarke A. Setting benchmark revision rates for total hip replacement: analysis of registry evidence. BMJ. 2015;350:h756.
- Marshall T. Electronic ambulance chasing: patient records guidelines and the law. British Journal of General Practice. 2015; 65(632):152-3
- Sidhu M, Daley A, Jordan R, Coventry PA, Heneghan C, Jowett S, Singh S, Marsh J, Adab P, Varghese J, Nunan D, Blakemore A, Stevens J, Dowson L, Fitzmaurice D, Jolly K. Patient self-management in primary care patients with mild COPD - protocol of a randomised controlled trial of telephone health coaching. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 2015;15(1):16.
- Sidhu MS, Gale NK, Gill P, Marshall T, Jolly K. BMC Health Services Research. A critique of the design implementation and delivery of a culturally-tailored self-management education intervention: a qualitative evaluation. BMC Health Services Research.
- Hartley L, May MD, Rees K. Dietary fibre for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015 Issue 1. Art. No.: CD011472.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Mistry H, Leslie R, Todkill D, Tsertsvadze A, Connock M, Clarke A. Extending the diabetic retinopathy screening interval beyond 1 year: systematic review. BJO Online.
- Clarke A. Total hip replacement and surface replacement for the treatment of pain and disability resulting from end-stage arthritis of the hip. HTA. 2015, 19(10):1-668.
- Bennett O, Kandala NB, Ji C, Linnane J, Clarke A. Spatial variation of heart failure and air pollution in Warwickshire UK: An investigation of small scale variation at the ward-level. BMJ Open. 2014, 4:e006028.
- Moran GM, Calvert M, Feltham MG, Marshall T. Retrospective case review of missed opportunities for primary prevention of stroke and TIA in primary care: protocol paper. BMJ Open. 2014; 4(11):e006622.
- Dalton AR, Marshall T, McManus RJ. The NHS Health Check programme: a comparison against established standards for screening. British Journal of General Practice. 2014; 64(627):530-1.
- Madigan C, Jolly K, Lewis A, Aveyard P, Daley A. A randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness of self-weighing as a weight loss intervention. International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2014;11:125.
- Mitchell K, Johnson-Warrington V, Apps L, Bankart J, Sewell L, Williams J, Rees K, Jolly K, Steiner M, Morgan M, Singh S. A self-management programme for COPD:
a randomised controlled trial. ERJ Express. 2014; 44(6):1538-47.
- Rumbold B, Amith J, Hurst J, Charlesworth A, Clarke A. Improving productive efficiency in hospitals: findings from a review of the international evidence. Health Economics Policy and Law. 2015; 10(1):21-43.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Elze M, Krupinski E, Dennick K, Gale AG, Clarke A, Mello-Thoms C. Retrospective Review of the Drop in Observer Detection Performance Over Time in Lesion-enriched Experimental Studies. Journal of Digital Imaging. 2015; 28(1):32-40.
- Tsertsvadze A, Grove A, Freeman K, Court R, Johnson S, Connock M, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P. Total hip replacement for the treatment of end stage arthritis of the hip: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2014; 9(7):e99804.
- Uthman OA, Hartley L, Rees K, Taylor F, Volmink J, Ebrahim S, Clarke A. Multiple risk factor interventions for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in low-and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014. Issue 6. Art No: CD011163.
- Tsertsvadze A, Clar C, Court R, Clarke A, Mistry H, Sutcliffe P. Cost-Effectiveness of manual therapy for the management of musculoskeletal conditions: A systematic review and narrative synthesis of evidence from randomized controlled trials. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014 Jul-Aug;37(6):343-62.
- Barber CM, Burton CM, Hendrick DJ, Pickering A, Robertson AS, Robertson W, Sherwood Burge P. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis in Workers Exposed to Metalworking Fluids. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 2014; 57(8):872-80.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Clarke A, Grove A, Swan J, Parsons H, Gkeredakis E: Mills P, Powell J, Nicolini D, Roginski C, Scarbrough H. Coproduction in commissioning decisions: is there an association with decision satisfaction for commissioners working in the NHS? A cross-sectional survey 2010/2011. BMJ Open. 2014;4(6):e004810.
- Moran GM, Fletcher B, Feltham MG, Calvert M, Sackley C, Marshall T. Fatigue psychological and cognitive impairment following transient ischaemic attack and minor stroke: a systematic review. European Journal of Neurology. 2014; 21(10):1258-67.
- de Cates AN, Farr MRB, Wright N, Jarvis MC, Rees K, Ebrahim S, Huffman MD. Fixed-dose combination therapy for the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2014; (4):CD009868.
- Uthman O, Graves P, Gelband H, Clarke A, Garner P. Safety of 8-aminoquinolones given to people with G6PD deficiency: protocol for systematic review of prospective studies. BMJ Open. 2014;4(5):e004664.
- Hartley L, Dyakova M, Holmes J, Clarke A, Lee MS, Ernst E, Rees K. Yoga for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Hartley L, Flowers N, Lee MS, Ernst E, Rees K. Tai chi for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Pulikottil-Jacob R, Suri G, Connock M, Kandala NB, Sutcliffe P, Maheswaran H, Banner NR, Clarke A. Comparative cost-effectiveness of the HeartWare versus HeartMate II left ventricular assist devices used in the United Kingdom National Health Service bridge-to-transplant program for patients with heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2014 April;33(4):350-8.
- Clar C, Tsertsvadze A, Court R, Hundt GL, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P. Clinical effectiveness of manual therapy for the management of musculoskeletal and non-musculoskeletal conditions: systematic review and update of UK evidence report. Chiropractic & Manual Therapies. 2014 22:12.
- Blunt I, Bardsley M, Clarke A. Classifying emergency 30-day readmissions in England using routine hospital data 2004-2010. Is there scope for reduction?. Emergency Medicine Journal. 2014 Mar 25.
- Taylor-Phillips S, Grove A, Hoffmeister S, Wheaton M, Coult S, Essex J, Hackney J, Di Cioccio S, Clarke A. 'Going paperless’ in an English NHS breast cancer screening service: the introduction of fully digital mammography. Health 2014;6(5):468-74.
- Madigan CD Daley AJ Lewis AL Jolly K Aveyard P. Which weight-loss programmes are as effective as Weight Watchers®?: Non-inferiority analysis. British Journal of General Practice
- Kandala NB, Connock M, Pulikottil-Jacob R, Mistry H, Sutcliffe P, Costa M, Clarke A. Response to two recent BMJ papers on mortality after hip replacements, comparative modelling study. BMJ. 2014 Feb 19;348:g1506.
- Clarke A, Pulikottil-Jacob R, Connock M, Suri G, Kandala N, Maheswaran H, Banner N, Sutcliffe P. Cost-effectiveness of Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs) for patients with advanced heart failure: analysis of the British NHS Bridge to Transplant (BTT) program. International Journal of Cardiology. 2014 Feb 15, 171(3): 338-45.
- Taylor-Phillips S Wallis MG Parsons H Dunn J Stallard N Campbell H Sellars S Szczepura A Gates S Clarke A. Changing case Order to Optimise patterns of Performance in mammography Screening (CO-OPS): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials
2014 Jan 10;15(1):17.
- Ewald H, Kirby J, Rees K, Robertson W. Parent-only interventions in the treatment of childhood obesity: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Journal of Public Health. 2014; 36(3):476-89.
- Underwood M, Sutcliffe P, Connock M, Shyangdan D, Court R, Kandala N-B, Clarke A. A systematic review of evidence on malignant spinal metastates: technologies for identifying patients at high risk of vertebral fracture and spinal cord compression. The Bone and Joint Journal 2014 vol. 96-B no. SUPP 4 31.
Theme 3 links
Professor Aileen Clarke, University of Warwick
- Birmingham City Council
- Coventry City Council
- Warwickshire County Council
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
- University of Warwick
- University of Birmingham