- The Safer Provision and Caring Excellence (SPACE) programme evaluation
- Mild to moderate distress in patients with end stage renal disease
- Steering committee presentation slides (11/06/19)
- Damery S, Flanagan S, Jones J, Nayyar P, Combes G. Improving Safety in Care Homes: Evaluation of the Safer Provision and Caring Excellence (SPACE) Programme. 2019.
- Final report (130 pages)
- Damery S, Sein K, Combes G. The prevalence, experience and management of mild to moderate distress in patients with end stage renal disease: results from a multi-centre, mixed methods research study. 2019.
- Taylor F & Combes G. Supporting the emotional and psychological needs of end-stage renal patients. 2014.
Below is a list of the papers published by Theme 4 within the CLAHRC WM grant period. Where possible, we also include the Altmetric score of each research output. Altmetrics are metrics and qualitative data that are complementary to traditional, citation-based metrics. They can include (but are not limited to) peer reviews on Faculty of 1000, citations on Wikipedia and in public policy documents, discussions on research blogs, mainstream media coverage, bookmarks on reference managers like Mendeley, and mentions on social networks.
- Thomas M, Menz H, Mallen C;. Plantar heel pain. BMJ. 2016;353:i2175.
- Taylor F, Combes G, Hare J. Improving clinical skills to support the emotional and psychological well-being of patients with end-stage renal disease: a qualitative evaluation of two interventions. Clinical Kidney Journal. 2016; 9(3):516-24.
- Prior JA, Mallen CD, Chandrate P, Muller S, Richardson J, Roddy E. Gout characteristics associate with depression but not anxiety in primary care: Baseline findings from a prospective cohort study. Joint Bone Spine. 2016. pii: S1297-319X(16)00027-0.
- Maidment ID, Shaw RL, Killick K, Damery S, Hilton A, Wilcock J, Barnes N, Brown G, Gillespie S, Fox C, Barton G, Iliffe S, Seare N. Improving the management of behaviour that challenges associated with dementia in care homes: protocol for pharmacy–health psychology intervention feasibility study. BMJ Open. 2016 Mar 23;6(3):e010279.
- Ricketts EJ, O'Connell Francischetto E, Wallace LM, Hogan A, McNulty CAM. Tools to overcome potential barriers to chlamydia screening in general practice: Qualitative evaluation of the implementation of a complex intervention. BMC Family Practice. 2016;17(1):33.
- Lau R, Stevenson F, Ong BN, Dziedzic K, Treweek S, Eldridge S, Everitt H, Kennedy A, Qureshi N, Rogers A, Peacock R, Murray E. Achieving change in primary care-causes of the evidence to practice gap: systematic reviews of reviews. Implementation Science. 2016;11(1):40.
- Blackburn S, Higginbottom A, Taylor R, Bird J, Østerås N, Hagen KB, Edwards JJ, Jordan KP, Jinks C, Dziedzic K. Patient-reported quality indicators for osteoarthritis: a patient and public generated self-report measure for primary care. Research Involvement and Engagement 2016;2:5.
- O’Connell Francischetto E, Damery S, Davies S, Combes G. Discharge interventions for older patients leaving hospital: protocol for a systematic meta-review. Systematic Reviews.
- Yu D, Peat G, Bedson J, Edwards JJ, Turkiewicz A, Jordan KP. Weighted cumulative exposure models helped identify an association between early knee-pain consultations and future knee OA diagnosis. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016;pii:S0895-4356(16)30003-8.
- Boef AG, le Cessie S, Dekkers OM, Frey P, Kearney PM, Kerse N, Mallen CD, McCarthy VJ, Mooijaart SP, Muth C, Rodondi N, Rosemann T, Russell A, Schers H,
Virgini V, de Waal MW, Warner A, Gussekloo J, den Elzen WP. Physician's Prescribing Preference as an Instrumental Variable: Exploring Assumptions Using Survey Data. Epidemiology. 2016;27(2):276-83.
- Jinks C, Carter P, Rhodes C, Taylor R, Beech R, Dziedzic K, Blackburn S, Hughes R and Nio Ong B. Patient and public involvement in primary care research - an example of ensuring its
sustainability. Research Involvement and Engagement. 2016;2:1.
- Simons G, Mason A, Falahee M, Kumar K, Mallen CD, Raza K, Stack RJ. Qualitative Exploration of Illness Perceptions of Rheumatoid Arthritis in the General Public. Musculoskeletal Care. 2016 [epub ahead of print].
- Menz HB, Roddy E, Marshall M, Thomas MJ, Rathod T, Peat GM, Croft PR. Epidemiology of Shoe Wearing Patterns Over Time in Older Women: Associations With Foot Pain and Hallux Valgus. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016;pii: glw004.
- Rathod T, Marshall M, Thomas MJ, Menz HB, Myers HL, Thomas E, Downes T, Peat
G, Roddy E. Investigations of Potential Phenotypes of Foot Osteoarthritis: Cross-Sectional Analysis From the Clinical Assessment Study of the Foot. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016 Feb;68(2):217-27.
- Wood LR, Blagojevic-Bucknall M, Stynes S, D'Cruz D, Mullis R, Whittle R, Peat G, Foster NE. Impairment-targeted exercises for older adults with knee pain: a proof-of-principle study (TargET-Knee-Pain). BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17(1):47.
- Helliwell T, Brouwer E, Pease CT, Hughes R, Hill CL, Neill LM, Halls S, Simon
LS, Mallen CD, Boers M, Kirwan JR, Mackie SL. Development of a Provisional Core
Domain Set for Polymyalgia Rheumatica: Report from the OMERACT 12 Polymyalgia
Rheumatica Working Group. J Rheumatol. 2016;43(1):182-6.
- Kuo CF, Grainge MJ, Mallen C, Zhang W, Doherty M. Comorbidities in patients
with gout prior to and following diagnosis: case-control study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016;75(1):210-7.
- Healey EL, Jinks C, Tan VA, Chew-Graham CA, Lawton S,A Nicholls E, Finney AG, Porcheret M, Cooper V, Lewis M, Dziedzic KS, Wathall S, Mallen CD. Improving the care of people with long-term conditions in primary care: protocol for the ENHANCE pilot trial. Journal of Comorbidity. 2015;5:135–149.
- Richardson JC, Liddle J, Mallen CD, Roddy E, Prinjha S, Ziebland S, Hider S. "Why me? I don't fit the mould … I am a freak of nature": a qualitative study of women's experience of gout. BMC Women's Health. 2015;15:122.
- Stynes S, Konstantinou K, Dunn KM, Lewis M, Hay EM. Reliability among clinicians diagnosing low back-related leg pain. Eur Spine J. 2015. [epub ahead of print].
- Overend K, Bosanquet K, Bailey D, Foster D, Gascoyne S, Lewis H, Nutbrown S, Woodhouse R, Gilbody S, Chew-Graham C. Revealing hidden depression in older people: a qualitative study within a randomised controlled trial. BMC Family Practice. 2015; 16:142.
- Tan V, Jinks C, Chew-Graham C, Healey EL, Mallen C. The triple whammy anxiety depression and osteoarthritis in long-term conditions. BMC Fam Pract. 2015;16(1):163.
- Muller S, Hider SL, Raza K, Stack RJ, Hayward RA, Mallen CD. An algorithm to identify rheumatoid arthritis in primary care: a Clinical Practice Research Datalink study. BMJ Open. 2015;5(12):e009309.
- Morden A, Brooks L, Jinks C, Porcheret M, Ong BN, Dziedzic K. Research 'push' long term-change and General Practice. Journal of Health Organisation and Management 2015;29(7):798-821.
- Combes G, Allen K, Sein K, Girling A and Lilford R. Taking hospital treatments home: a mixed methods case study looking at the barriers and success factors for home dialysis treatment and the influence of a target on uptake rates. Implementation Science. 2015;10:148.
- Kuo CF, Grainge MJ, Mallen C, Zhang W, Doherty M. Impact of gout on the risk of atrial fibrillation. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2015. pii: kev418. 2016 Apr;55(4):721-8.
- Keyworth C, Nelson PA, Chew-Graham CA, Kane K, Pearce CJ, Griffiths CE, Chisholm A, Cordingley L. Communicating Cardiovascular Disease Risk to People with Psoriasis: What Techniques do Practitioners Use?. Int J Behav Med. 2015 Oct 21. 2016 Apr;23(2):168-78.
- Østerås N, Jordan KP, Clausen B, Cordeiro C, Dziedzic K, Edwards J, Grønhaug G, Higginbottom A, Lund H, Pacheco G, Pais S, Hagen KB. Self-reported quality care for knee osteoarthritis, cross sectional comparisons across Denmark Norway Portugal and United Kingdom. RMD Open. 2015;1(1):e000136.
- Hider SL, Blagojevic-Bucknall M, Whittle R, Clarkson K, Mangat N, Stack R, Raza K, Mallen CD. What does a primary care annual review for RA include? A national GP survey. Clin Rheumatol. 2015 Oct 10. [epub ahead of print].
- Clarson LE, Nicholl BI, Bishop A, Daniel R, Mallen CD. Discussing prognosis with patients with osteoarthritis: a cross-sectional survey in general practice. Clin Rheumatol. 2015; 35(4):1011-7.
- Lau R, Stevenson F, Ong BN, Dziedzic K, Treweek S, Eldridge S, Everitt H, Kennedy A, Qureshi N, Rogers A, Peacock R, Murray E. Achieving change in primary care-effectiveness of strategies for improving implementation of complex interventions: systematic review of reviews. BMJ Open. 2015;5(12):e009993.
- Liddle J, Roddy E, Mallen CD, Hider SL, Prinjha S, Ziebland S, Richardson JC. . Mapping patients' experiences from initial symptoms to gout diagnosis: a qualitative exploration. BMJ Open. 2015;5(9):e008323.
- Penn ML, Kennedy AP, Vassilev II, Chew-Graham CA, Protheroe J, Rogers A, Monks T. Modelling self-management pathways for people with diabetes in primary care. BMC Fam Pract. 2015;16(1):112.
- Burton C, Cottrell E, Edwards J. Addison's disease: identification and management in primary care. Br J Gen Pract. 2015 Sep;65(638):488-90.
- Morden A, Jinks C, Ong BN. Temporally divergent significant meanings biographical disruption and self-management for chronic joint pain. Health(London). 2015 Aug 19. pii: 1363459315600773.
- Chandratre P, Mallen CD, Roddy E, Liddle J, Richardson J. "You want to get on with the rest of your life": a qualitative study of health-related quality of life in gout. Clin Rheumatol. 2015; 35(5):1197-205.
- Roddy E, Muller S, Rome K, Chandratre P, Hider SL, Richardson J, Blagojevic-Bucknall M, Mallen CD. Foot problems in people with gout in primary care: baseline findings from a prospective cohort study. J Foot Ankle Res. 2015, 8:31.
- Morden A, Jinks C, Ong BN. 'Risk' and self-managing chronic joint pain: looking beyond individual lifestyles and 'behaviour'. Sociology of Health & Illness Journal
Sociol Health Illn. 2015; 37(6):888-903.
- Kuo C, Grainge MJ, Mallen C, Zhang W, Doherty M. Effect of allopurinol on all-cause mortality in adults with incident gout: propensity score - matched landmark analysis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2015 Jul 12. pii: kev246.
- Mellor R, Sheppard J, Bates E, Bouliotis G, Jones J, Singh S, Skelton J, Wiskin C, McManus RJ. Receptionist rECognition and rEferral of Patients with Stroke (RECEPTS): an unannounced simulated patient telephone call study in primary care. British Journal of General Practice. 2014;65 (636) e421-e427.
- Rzewuska M, Mallen CD, Strauss VY, Belcher J, Peat G. One-year trajectories of depression and anxiety symptoms in older patients presenting in general practice with musculoskeletal pain: A latent class growth analysis. J Psychosom Res. 2015 ;79(3):195-201.
- Patel NR, Chew-Graham C, Bundy C, Kennedy A, Blickem C, Reeves D. Illness beliefs and the sociocultural context of diabetes self-management in British South Asians: a mixed methods study. BMC Family Practice 2015 May 10;16:58.
- Damery S, Flanagan S, Combes G. The effectiveness of interventions to achieve co-ordinated multidisciplinary care and reduce hospital use for people with chronic diseases: study protocol for a systematic review of reviews. BMC Systematic Reviews (2015) 4:64.
- Mangan C, Miller R, Ward C. Knowing me knowing you: inter-professional working between general practice and social care. Journal of Integrated Care. 2015;23(2):62-73.
- Glasby J and Miller R. New conversations between old players? The relationship between general practice and social care. Journal of Integrated Care. 2015;23(2):42-52.
- Wilkie R, Hay EM, Croft P, Pransky G Exploring how pain leads to productivity loss in primary care consulters for osteoarthritis: a prospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2015;10(4): e0120042.
- Porcheret M, Main C, Croft P, McKinley R, Hassell A, Dziedzic K. Development of a behaviour change intervention: a case study on the practical application of theory. Implementation Science. 2014; 9(1):42.
- Roughley MJ, Belchor J, Mallen CD, Roddy E. Gout and risk of chronic kidney disease and nephrolithiasis: meta-analysis of observational studies. Arthritis Research and Therapy. 2015;17(1):90.
- Mallen C, Hay E. Managing back pain and osteoarthritis without paracetamol (Editorial). BMJ
- Flanagan SM, Greenfield S, Coad J, Neilson S. An exploration of the data collection methods utilised with children teenagers and young people (CTYPs). BMC Res Notes. 8:61.
- Morden A, Ong BN, Brooks L, Jinks C, Porcheret M, Edwards JJ, Dziedzic KS. Introducing Evidence Through Research "Push": Using Theory and Qualitative Methods
Qualitative health research. 2015; 25(11):1560-75.
- Taylor F, Gutteridge R, Willis C. Peer support for CKD patients and carers: overcoming barriers and facilitating access. Health Expectations. 2016; 19(3):617-30.
- Morden A, Jinks C, Ong BN, Porcheret M, Dziedzic KS. Acceptability of a 'guidebook' for the management of Osteoarthritis: a qualitative study of patient and clinician's perspectives. BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2014;15:427.
- Methley AM, Campbell S, Chew-Graham C, McNally R, Cheraghi-Sohi S. PICO PICOS and SPIDER: a comparison study of specificity and sensitivity in three search tools for qualitative systematic reviews. BMC Health Services Research. 2015; 14(1):579.
- Overend K, Lewis H, Bailey D, Bosanquet K, Chew-Graham C, Ekers D, Gascoyne S, Hems D, Holmes J, Keding A, McMillan D, Meer S, Mitchell N, Nutbrown S, Parrott S, Richards D, Traviss G, Trépel D, Woodhouse R, Gilbody S. CASPER plus (CollAborative care in screen-positive EldeRs with major depressive disorder): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2015; 15(1):451.
- Bamford C, Poole M, Brittain K, Chew-Graham C, Fox C, Iliffe S, Manthorpe J, Robinson L, CAREDEM team. Understanding the challenges to implementing case management for people with dementia in primary care in England: a qualitative study using Normalization Process Theory. BMC Health Services Research. 2015;14(1):549.
- Hunter C, Chew-Graham CA, Langer S, Drinkwater J, Stenhoff A, Guthrie EA, Salmon P. 'I wouldn't push that further because I don't want to lose her': a multiperspective qualitative study of behaviour change for long-term conditions in primary care. Health Expectations. 2015; 18(6):1995-2010.
- Green DJ, Muller S, Mallen CD, Hider SL. Fatigue as a precursor to polymyalgia rheumatica: an explorative retrospective cohort study. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. 2015;1-5.
- Iliffe S, Robinson L, Bamford C, Waugh A, Fox C, Livingston G, Manthorpe J, Brown P, Stephens B, Brittain K, Chew-Graham C, Katona C, CAREDEM research team. Introducing case management for people with dementia in primary care: a mixed-methods study. British Journal General Practice. 64(628):e735-41.
- Kennedy A, Rogers A, Chew-Graham C, Blakeman T, Bowen R, Gardner C, Lee V, Morris R, Protheroe J. Implementation of a self-management support approach (WISE) across a health system: a process evaluation explaining what did and did not work for organisations clinicians and patients. Implementation Science. 9:129.
- Blakeman T, Blickem C, Kennedy A, Reeves D, Bower P, Gaffney H, Gardner C, Lee V, Jariwala P, Dawson S, Mossabir R, Brooks H, Richardson G, Spackman E, Vassilev I, Chew-Graham C, Rogers A. Effect of information and telephone-guided access to community support for people with chronic kidney disease: randomised controlled trial. PLoS One. 2014; 9(10):e109135.
- Langer S, Chew-Graham CA, Drinkwater J, Afzal C, Keane K, Hunter C, Guthrie E, Salmon P. A motivational intervention for patients with COPD in primary care: qualitative evaluation of a new practitioner role. BMC Family Practice. 2014;15:164.
- Chesterton L, Lewis A, Sim J, Mallen C, Mason E, Hay E, van der Windt D. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation as adjunct to primary care management for tennis elbow: pragmatic randomised controlled trial (TATE trial). British Journal of Sports Med. 2014;48(19).
- Shraim M Blagojevic-Bucknall M Mallen CD Dunn KM. The Association between GP Consultations for Non-Specific Physical Symptoms in Children and Parents: A Case-Control Study. PLoS One. 2014;9(9):e108039.
- Hancock AT, Mallen CD, Muller S, Belcher J, Roddy E, Helliwell T, Hider SL. Risk of vascular events in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2014;186(13).
- Dziedzic K, Healey E, Porcheret M, Nio Ong B, Main C, Jordan K, Lewis M, Edwards J, Jinks C, Morden A, McHugh G, Ryan S, Finney A, Jowett S, Oppong R, Afolabi E, Pushpa-Rajah A, Handy J, Clarkson K, Mason E, Whitehurst T, Hughes R, Croft P, Hay E. Implementing the NICE osteoarthritis guidelines: a mixed methods study and cluster randomised trial of a model osteoarthritis consultation in Primary Care -The Management of OSteoArthritis in ConsultationS (MOSAICS) study protocol. Implementation Science. 2014;9:95.
- Clarson LE, Hider SL, Belcher J, Heneghan C, Roddy E, Mallen CD. Increased risk of vascular disease associated with gout: a retrospective matched cohort study in the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014; 74(4):642-7.
- Green C, Richards DA, Hill JJ, Gask L, Lovell K, Chew-Graham C, Bower P, Cape J, Pilling S, Araya R, Kessler D, Bland JM, Gilbody S, Lewis G, Manning C, Hughes-Morley A, Barkham M. Cost-effectiveness of collaborative care for depression in UK primary care: economic evaluation of a randomised controlled trial (CADET). PLoS One. 2014;9(8):e104225.
- Lovell K Lamb J Gask L Bower P, Waheed W, Chew-Graham C, Lamb J, Aseem S, Beatty S, Burroughs H, Clarke P, Dowrick A, Edwards S, Gabbay M, Lloyd-Williams M, Dowrick C. Development and evaluation of culturally sensitive psychosocial interventions for under-served people in primary care. BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14:217.
- Chew-Graham C, Sartorius N, Cimino LC, Gask L. Diabetes and depression in general practice: meeting the challenge of managing comorbidity. British Journal of General Practice. 2014;64(625):386-7.
- Iliffe S Waugh A Poole M Bamford C Brittain K Chew-Graham C Fox C Katona C Livingston G Manthorpe J Steen N Stephens B Hogan V Robinson L, CAREDEM research team. The effectiveness of collaborative care for people with memory problems in primary care: results of the CAREDEM case management modelling and feasibility study. Health Technology Assessment. 2014; 18(52):1-148.
- Foster NE, Healey EL, Holden MA, Nicholls E, Whitehurst DGT, Jowett S, Jinks C, Roddy E, Hay EM. A multicentre pragmatic parallel group, randomised controlled trial to compare the clinical and cost-effectiveness of three physiotherapy-led exercise interventions for knee osteoarthritis in older adults: the BEEP trial protocol (ISRCTN: 93634563). BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2014; 15:254.
- Methley AM, Chew-Graham C, Campbell S, Cheraghi-Sohi S. Experiences of UK health-care services for people with Multiple Sclerosis: a systematic narrative review. Health Expectations. 2014; 18(6):1844-55.
- Morden A, Jinks C, Ong BN. Understanding Help Seeking for Chronic Joint Pain: Implications for Providing Supported Self-Management. Qual Health Res. 2014;24(7):957-968.
- Dawson SR, Mallen CD, Gouldstone MB, Yarham R, Mansell G. The prevalence of anxiety and depression in people with age-related macular degeneration: a systematic review of observational study data. BMC Ophthalmology. 2014;14:78.
- Hayward RA, Rathod T, Muller S, Hider SI, Roddy E, Mallen CD. Association of Polymyalgia Rheumatica With Socioeconomic Status in Primary Care: A Cross-Sectional Observational Study. Arthritis Care & Research. 2014;66(6):956-960.
- Welsh VK, Sanders T, Richardson JC, Wynne-Jones G, Jinks C, Mallen CD. Extending the authority for sickness certification beyond the medical profession: the importance of 'boundary work'. BMC Fam Pract. 2014;15:100.
- Coupe N, Anderson E, Gask L, Sykes P, Richards DA, Chew-Graham C. Facilitating professional liaison in collaborative care for depression in UK primary care, a qualitative study utilising normalisation process theory. BMC Family Practice; 15:78.
- Chew-Graham C, Burroughs H, Hibbert D, Gask L, Beatty S, Gravenhorst K, Waheed W, Kovandžić M, Gabbay M, Dowrick C. Aiming to improve the quality of primary mental health care: developing an intervention for underserved communities. BMC Family Practice
- Stack RJ, van Tuyl LH, Sloots M, van de Stadt LA, Hoogland W, Maat B, Mallen CD, Tiwana R, Raza K, van Schaardenburg D. Symptom complexes in patients with seropositive arthralgia and in patients newly diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis: a qualitative exploration of symptom development. Rheumatology. 2014;53(9):1646-53.
- Van Middelkoop M Arden N Atchia I, Birrell F, J Chao, Lambert RGW, Ravaud P;
Bijlsma JW, Doherty M, Dziedzic KS, Lohmander LS, McAlindon TE, Zhang W;
Bierma-Zeinstra SMA. The OA trial bank: meta-analysis of individual patient data show that patients with severe pain or with inflammatory signs detected by ultrasound especially benefit from intra-articular glucocorticoids for knee or hip OA. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage Vol. 22 S474–S475 2016:pii: S1063-4584(16)01002-5.
- Bayliss K, Goodall M, Chisholm A, Fordham B, Chew-Graham C, Riste L, Fisher L, Lovell K, Peters S, Wearden A. Overcoming the barriers to the diagnosis and management of chronic fatigue syndrome/ME in primary care: a meta synthesis of qualitative studies. BMC Family Practice. 2014;15:44.
- Stack RJ, Llewellyn Z, Deighton C, Kiely P, Mallen CD, Raza K. General practitioners' perspectives on campaigns to promote rapid help-seeking behaviour at the onset of rheumatoid arthritis. Scandinavian journal of primary health care. 2014;32(1):37-43.
- Vivekanantham A, Campbell P, Mallen CD, Dunn KM. Impact of Pain Intensity on Relationship Quality Between Couples Where One Has Back Pain. Pain Medicine. 2014;15(5):832-841.
- Patel NR, Kennedy A, Blickem C, Rogers A, Reeves D, Chew-Graham C. Having diabetes and having to fast: a qualitative study of British Muslims with diabetes. Health Expectations. 18(5):1698-708.
Theme 4 Links
Professor Jon Glasby, University of Birmingham
- Birmingham City Council
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
- Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
- South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Partnership NHS Trust
- Stoke on Trent Clinical Commissioning Group
- North Staffordshire Clinical Commissioning Group
- Keele University
- University of Birmingham