Welcome to the India Projects webpages. This site is due a thorough update, which will arrive shortly... but 'til then, here is a brief introduction to what the India Projects are about:
We are in contact with a Non-Government Organisation based in Delhi, called Youth Reach ( http://youthreachindia.org ), who place student volunteers with a variety of projects around the capital. They are continuously finding new placements to send their volunteers to, which we will keep you updated on. But the three projects that the 2007 cohort went on, in Summer 2008 were:
1 - Street Kids
- Playing with, educating and providing health care for kids living on the streets of Delhi, who have run away from home
2 - Leprosy Colony
- Helping to maintain the colony, which provides medical and dental care, education, skills training and housing for leprosy patients and their families, who- due to the stigma of the disease- have been outcast from society
- Daily tasks can include:
- Cleaning and re-bandaging ulcerative wounds
- Talking to the patients and their families- an opportunity to learn basic conversational Hindi
- Promoting good nutrition
- Teaching English to and playing games with young children
- Helping teenaged kids with their IT skills
3 - Mobile Creches
- An organisation set up to care for the children of mothers who work on construction sites, who previously had to take their children to work with them. Due to the nature of their work, the creches are designed to move around with the workers, opening and closing as different work projects arise for them.
- Volunteering in a permanent creche in Delhi involves playing with the children (0-8 years of age), teaching English, helping with meal- and nap-times.
- (a more detailed description to be uploaded soon!)
Another project that MedSin also run in India is the Antara Psychiatric Hospital Project, which runs independent of Youth Reach. For further details, refer to the Psychiatric Hospital webpages.
Any queries - feel free to contact me (Katie) on email@example.com
or catch me in the MTC mooching about, if you know what I look like! :P