Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Paid work within the Department

Postgraduate students involved in teaching and demonstrating activities in the Department will be paid as Senior Graduate Teaching Assistants at grade FA5

Payments are arranged through the Graduate Teaching Assistant Payroll (GTA)

Information for Postgraduates working in the Department for the first time

You will be sent a link to the GTA application form and you will also need to complete the Physics GTA Selection Form where you can tell us about your skills and experience and detail your role preferences.
Please note that we do not expect you to duplicate information and in the supporting statement on the GTA Application Form it is sufficient to simply state "Please refer to the Physics GTA Selection Form"

Exam Invigilators

We have a pool of PG Students available to be Exam Invigilators for UG examinations which are held in January, April and May/June and resits in September. You would need to attend induction training - held in April and could be called upon to invigilate in the main exam halls across campus or small exam rooms within the department.

Exam invigilation is paid at FA4 spinal point 21

Payments are arranged through Unitemps 

Undergraduate Admissions

Postgraduates may also be asked to help with leading campus tours for undergraduate open days on a Wednesday afternoon or on University Open Days. If you are interested in this please contact our UG Admissions Secretary for more information.
Only undergraduates are offered the chance to be luncheon assistants, which involves eating lunch with prospective undergraduate students, chatting and engaging with them about undergraduate life in Physics and the University.

Overseas students

All overseas students wishing to work will need a National Insurance number, this can be arranged by calling the HMRC Helpline on 08456 000643.
If you are on a Tier 4 visa you must not work more than 20 hours per week. We will not offer you contracts that exceed 20 hours but you are responsible for checking your work condition as written on your visa.
More information for students holding a Tier 4 visa can be found at Student Opportunity: Immigration & Compliance 


If you have any queries please contact Physics PG.