Registering as a Staff Member
All new staff should collect their University staff card from HR reception in University House. Your card will only be ready on the first day if you have already submitted all of the required paperwork (sent with the offer of employment letter). Please bring any missing documents to the Departmental Office (Room P566) on your first morning. Please note that if we have not seen proof of your right to work you cannot start work and will not be paid.
New employees will need to have submitted:
- Starter form (personal record form), which includes Bank details for Salary payments. This wiill have been sent to you with your offer letter
- P45 (from previous employer, if applicable)
- Identification and proof of Right to Work (usually passport)
- National Insurance number. If you do not have an NI number please ask Ayesha Rahman (Physics, Room P566)
Staff must register with IT Services in order to use any of the University Computing Facilities. Online registration is available on the IT Services website: https://websignon.warwick.ac.uk/origin/account/register. After this, staff will be provided with log-in details and an e-mail account (the day after they register).
PLEASE NOTE: At this stage it is very important that all new members of staff read the University’s policy on Use of Computing Facilities. Staff must know what they are able to use University equipment for and what is not allowed under these regulations. The Regulations can be found at: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/gov/calendar/section2/regulations/computing/
Checklist for First Day
- Introduction to colleagues and your research group.
- Tour of immediate work area and key locations in the Department.
- Report to Departmental Office (Room P566) for submission of paperwork (sent with offer letter i.e. Personal Record Form for HR and Payroll) and employment check.
- Complete next of kin form and return completed form to Departmental Office.
- No Smoking Policy: Smoking is forbidden in all University buildings and vehicles.
- Holidays/Absences from Department: All absences should be notified to the Departmental Office (email@example.com / Tel: 02476 5 23965). This is so the office can provide a professional service when taking telephone messages for members of staff.
Academic staff need approval from Head of Department for any absences during term-time. Your request should detail how your teaching will be covered and who students can contact in your absence.
- Sickness Absences: Staff should contact the Departmental Office (firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 02476 5 23965) as soon as possible on their first day of sickness and state the nature of their illness and, if possible, the expected return-to-work date. If absent for more than eight consecutive days, a medical certificate from the 8th day onwards is required from the doctor. Please note that absences are monitored and anyone with a high number of absences or whose absences follow a particular pattern (i.e. always fall on a Monday or Friday) may be asked to attend a return to work interview.
- Health and Safety: It is a requirement of ALL new staff members to acquaint themselves with appropriate procedures, such as fire evacuation, location of first aiders/equipment. Information on all safety issues can be found at: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physics/intranet/healthandsafety . Please note that you will need to be signed in on the intranet page to access this link.
- Physics Intranet: The department tries to keep its web pages as up to date as possible, the pages should be looked at in the first instance for information on procedures and policies. News and events related to the department, as well as current vacancies appear regularly and you should make it part of your daily routine to view these pages. For Physics staff to access the intranet, make sure that you sign in (user name and password) in the top right hand corner of the Physics Home Page.
Statutory and Customary Holiday Arrangements: Visit http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/humanresources/internal/policies/annualleave to see the University's policies and arrangements for Annual Leave.
- Catering Facilities: Coffee/Tea is served between 10.30am to 12.00 pm in the Physics Common Room (Fifth floor, Room 563). This room can also be used at lunch time for people to prepare and eat their lunch. There are kitchen facilities, fridge, microwave, toaster; however please note there is not an oven. Staff located in the Physical Sciences building can also use the kitchen area and staff room located on the first floor of Physical Sciences. Staff located in the MAS building can also use the kitchen area and staff room located on their floor. When using the kitchen facilities, please ensure that you clean up after yourself. Alternatively there are many catering outlets across the campus.
- Mail: Incoming mail for ALL staff is distributed to named pigeon holes which are found in the Physics Common Room (P564) on the fifth floor of the building.
- Outgoing Mail: All mail should be taken to a secretaries office to be stamped with 137 (code identified to Physics) and then placed in the appropriate tray on the landings or in Room PS139 for those staff in Physical Sciences. Please note that internal mail does not require the 137 stamp.
- University Induction Website: The University has created its own induction website which contains valuable information: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/humanresources/internal/induction/
- Communication: Departmental members are added to the Physics email distribution list and are issued with regular updates of matters of interest, such as seminars, changes to policies and procedures and general news. We also issue a periodic Departmental Newsletter and there is a termly Staff Meeting (usually held on the Friday before each term starts).