Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Overseas Students

We are delighted to receive applications from overseas students. On this page you can find answers to common questions about applications.

For general enquiries about admissions, feel free to contact the University's Postgraduate Admissions team.

Please do not hesitate to contact the International Office, who will be able to offer authoritative advice on complicated issues such as visas, ATAS, etc.

Guidelines for Visiting Students are available here.


ATAS, CAS and Visas

We will generate an ATAS statement once your project and supervisor are finalised and a conditional offer has been made - you do not have to worry about this during your application.

Frequently asked questions on the UK Govt. Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) are answered here.

Please contact the International Office if you have particular queries about visa applications. They have more accurate and up-to-date knowledge that the Physics admissions team.


English Language

You must have an up-to-date English language certificate: this means dated within 2 years by the start of your course.

Alternatively, if you have been entirely educated in English this requirement will be waived, but you must provide a signed and dated letter from your university stating this clearly.

General information on English language requirements is given by the International Office.

For Physics research degrees, we require scores equivalent to 6.5 IELTS: this is 92 or better on internet-based TOEFL. If you narrowly miss this score, e.g. getting 6.0 IELTS (80 or better on internet-based TOEFL) we can often make an offer specifying some additional in-sessional or pre-sessional language tuition.

It is also possible to produce a "bundled offer" whereby you study English intensively before starting on your research work. The Centre for Applied Linguistics has information on these courses, but you must arrange them early since numbers are limited.



The University can provide accommodation for overseas students, including students with families. The Warwick Accommodation web site provides full details.


Fees and Funding

The overseas academic fees for Physics research students can be found here. Useful information on living costs is available - these are readily covered by the "stipend" associated with a full scholarship should you win one.

Some PhD scholarships are available as part of a university-wide competition which cover fees and living expenses at standard UK Research Council rates, presently about £15,000 per year. Popular schemes include the Chancellor's International Scholarships for non-EU students, the Chancellor's EU Scholarships for EU citizens, and the China Scholarship Council - University of Warwick Scholarships.

The International Office also offers scholarships for MSc students.

Overseas students are not usually eligible for Research Council studentships.

Note that non-UK EU students may be eligible for only fees or for fees & stipend from Research Council studentships - consult the PG Admission Tutor.