MPAGS - Astrophysical Techniques
MPAGS is the Midlands Physics Alliance Graduate School, a joint school which for astronomy purposes comprises Birmingham, Keele, Leicester, Nottingham and Warwick. Below are materials connected to the Warwick MPAGS module "Astrophysical techniques", which will run for 5 weeks starting in October 2021, with 2 hourly sessions (see below) and associated assignments.
Sessions will run online, on MS Teams. Teams is available to download for free and should work on any operating system when registered with a free account. If your university has an MS live log in (e.g. email@example.com) please use that since it provides a higher level of authentication and some people find connecting easier.
Teams meetings will occur in THIS MEETING at 10am-Noon on Wednesdays as listed below.
Students should also attempt to join the Team associated with this course by clicking here. The meeting links should be accessible to those outside of Warwick as well as those inside. External students will need to be added to the team manually as guests (please email course coordinator Dr Elizabeth Stanway firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred email/live account detail). Any connection problems should also be reported to email@example.com who will endeavour to find a solution. Session recordings will be made on a best-effort basis - lecturers are not obliged to replace failed or faulty recordings.
Timetable (note these dates are currently provisional):
|4||Wednesday 27th Oct||10am-12||Elizabeth Stanway||Observational Astronomy (MP4 Recording, Streams link)|
|5||Wednesday 3rd Nov||10am-12||Matteo Brogi / Dan Bayliss||Optical/IR Astronomy - photometry & spectroscopy (Streams)|
|6||Wednesday 10th Nov||10am-12||Grant Kennedy||Interferometry|
|7||Wednesday 17th Nov||10am-12||Peter Wheatley||X-ray Astronomy (Streams link)|
|8||Wednesday 24th Nov||10am-12||Joseph Lyman||Data Mining (Streams link)|
Home work assignments (May be updated up to day of the session):
- Assignment 1: questions related to lecture on observing. Deadline: Wed 3rd Nov end of. Related materials: seminar material, Astronomical seeing, stellarium
- Assignment 2: questions related to lecture on CCDs, photometry, and spectroscopy. Note: lecture slides are in the linked directory given in the assignment sheet. Deadline: Wed 10th Nov, end of. Please submit via an email to Matteo Brogi and Daniel Bayliss.
- Assignment 3: questions related to lecture on interferometry. Related materials: slides, iPython notebook. Deadline: Wed 17th Nov, end of.
- Assignment 4: questions related to lecture on X-ray astronomy. Deadline: Wed 24th Nov, end of. Related materials: Lecture notes
- Assignment 5: data mining exercise. Related materials: slides, github repo (follow link in readme to run notebook) Deadline: Wed 1st Dec, end of.