My research lies at the interface between applied physics and advanced engineering, as recognised by my recent award of a five-year Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship. My primary focus is the identification and exploitation of technologically useful point defects in diamond: this is driven through a mixture of electron paramagnetic resonance and coherent optical experiments, with an emphasis on the understanding and control of defects with the potential to act as spin-photon interfaces.
I am part of the Centre for Doctoral Training in Diamond Science and Technology - please see the DST website for a list of current PhD projects. I also work closely with my previous colleagues in the Quantum Computing and Simulation quantum hub. As part of a wide collaboration, we are developing quantum computing nodes based on optical-cavity-enhanced colour centres in diamond.
have a vacancy for a four-year PhD studentship starting in October 2022: Optimised colour centre control for diamond quantum technologiesLink opens in a new window; and am co-supervising a project on The development, characterisation, and application of perfect, pure, and functionalised diamondLink opens in a new window. Please feel free to get in contact if you are interested in hearing more about this project, or apply at findaphd or jobs.ac.uk. Other projects are also available in on the DST CDT PhD projects website.
I co-lecture the 3rd year undergraduate course in Quantum Physics of AtomsLink opens in a new window with Martin Lees. I also lead the postgraduate Centre for Diamond Science and Technology Module 3: Devices and Fabrication.
- B. D. Wood, G. A. Stimpson, J. E. March, Y. N. D. Lekhai, C. J. Stephen, B. L. Green, A. C. Frangeskou, L. Ginés, S. Mandal, O. A. Williams, G. W. Morley, Long spin coherence times of nitrogen vacancy centers in milled nanodiamonds, Phys. Rev. B 105, 205401 (2022) [arXiv:2112.01899]
- L. Q. Zhou, R. L. Patel, A. C. Frangeskou, A. Nikitin, B. L. Green, B. G. Breeze, S. Onoda, J. Isoya, G. W. Morley, Imaging damage in steel using a diamond magnetometer, Phys. Rev. Appl. 15, 024015 (2021) [arXiv:2011.02459]
- M. N. R. Ashfold, J. P. Goss, B. L. Green, P. W. May, M. E. Newton, C. V. Peaker, Nitrogen in diamond, Chem. Rev. 120, 12, 5745 (2020)
- B. G. Breeze, C. J. Meara, X. X. Wu, C. P. Michaels, R. Gupta, P. L. Diggle, M. W. Dale, B. L. Cann, T. Ardon, U. F. S. D'Haenens-Johansson, I. Friel, M. J. Rayson, P. R. Briddon, J. P. Goss, M. E. Newton, B. L. Green, Doubly charged silicon vacancy center, Si-N complexes, and photochromism in N and Si codoped diamond, Phys. Rev. B 101, 184115 (2020) [arXiv:2002.01712]
- P. L. Diggle, U. F. S. D'Haenens-Johansson, B. L. Green, C. M. Welbourn, T. N. Tran Thi, A. Katrusha, W. Wang, M. E. Newton, Decoration of growth sector boundaries with single nitrogen vacancy centres in as-grown single crystal HPHT synthetic diamond, Phys. Rev. Mat. 4, 093402 (2020) [arXiv:2002.07881]
- R. L. Patel, L. Q. Zhou, A. C. Frangeskou, G. A. Stimpson, B. G. Breeze, A. Nikitin, M. W. Dale, E. C. Nichols, W. Thornley, B. L. Green, M. E. Newton, A. M. Edmonds, M. L. Markham, D. J. Twitchen, G. W. Morley, Sub-nanotesla magnetometry with a fibre-coupled diamond sensor, Phys. Rev. Applied 14, 044058 (2020) [arXiv:2002.08255]
- C. J. Stephen, B. L. Green, Y. N. D. Lekhai, L. Weng, P. Hill, S. Johnson, A. C. Frangeskou, P. L. Diggle, M. J. Strain, E. Gu, M. E. Newton, J. M. Smith, P. S. Salter, G. W. Morley, Three-dimensional solid-state qubit arrays with long-lived spin coherence, Phys. Rev. Applied 12, 064005 (2019) [arXiv:1807.03643]
- G. A. Stimpson, M. S. Skilbeck, R. L. Patel, B. L. Green, G. W. Morley, An open-source high-frequency lock-in amplifier, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 90, 094701 (2019) [arXiv:1811.1049]
- Y.-C. Chen, B. Griffiths, L. Weng, S. Nicley, S. N. Ishmael, Y. Lekhai, S. Johnson, C. J. Stephen, B. L. Green, G. W. Morley, M. E. Newton, M. J. Booth, P. S. Salter, J. M. Smith, Laser writing of individual atomic defects in a crystal with near-unity yield, Optica 6, 662 (2019) [arXiv:1807.04028]
- B. L. Green, M. W. Doherty, E. Nako, N. B. Manson, U. F. S. D'Haenens-Johansson, S. D. Williams, D. J. Twitchen, M. E. Newton, Electronic structure of the neutral silicon-vacancy center in diamond, Phys. Rev. B 99, 161112(R) (2019) [arXiv:1804.09141]
- R. Sandstrom, L. Ke, A. Martin, Z. Wang, M. Kianinia, B. L. Green, W.-b. Gao, I. Aharonovich, Optical properties of implanted Xe color centers in diamond, Opt. Commun. 411, 182 (2018)
- B. L. Green, S. Mottishaw, B. G. Breeze, A. M. Edmonds, U. F. S. D’Haenens-Johansson, M. W. Doherty, S. D. Williams, D. J. Twitchen, M. E. Newton, Neutral silicon-vacancy center in diamond: spin polarization and lifetimes, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 096402 (2017)
- B. L. Green, B. G. Breeze, G. J. Rees, J. V. Hanna, J.-P. Chou, V. Ivády, A. Gali, M. E. Newton, All-optical hyperpolarization of electron and nuclear spins in diamond, Phys. Rev. B 96, 054101 (2017)
- B. L. Green, B. G. Breeze, M. E. Newton, Electron paramagnetic resonance and photochromism of N3V0 in diamond, J. Phys. Condens. Matter 29, 225701 (2017)
- Y.-C. Chen, P. S. Salter, S. Knauer, L. Weng, A. C. Frangeskou, C. J. Stephen, P. R. Dolan, S. Johnson, B. L. Green, G. W. Morley, M. E. Newton, J. G. Rarity, M. J. Booth, J. M. Smith, Laser writing of coherent colour centres in diamond, Nat. Photon. 11, 77 (2017)
- L. I. Tomlinson, H. V. Patten, B. L. Green, J. A. Iacobini, K. E. Meadows, K. McKelvey, P. R. Unwin, M. E. Newton, J. V. Macpherson, Intermittent-contact Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy as a Quantitative Probe of Defects in Single Crystal Boron Doped Diamond Electrodes, Electroanalysis 28, 2297 (2016)
- B. L. Green, M. W. Dale, M. E. Newton, D. Fisher, Electron paramagnetic resonance of the N2V defect in 15N-doped synthetic diamond, Phys. Rev. B 92, 165204 (2015)
- P. Kowalska, J. R. Cheeseman, K. Razmkhah, B. L. Green, L. A. Nafie, A. Rodger, Experimental and Theoretical Polarized Raman Linear Difference Spectroscopy of Small Molecules with a New Alignment Method Using Stretched Polyethylene Film, Anal. Chem. 84, 1394 (2012)
- U. F. S. D’Haenens-Johansson, A. M. Edmonds, B. L. Green, M. E. Newton, G. Davies, P. Martineau, R. Khan, D. Twitchen, Optical properties of the neutral silicon split-vacancy center in diamond, Phys. Rev. B 84, 245208 (2011)
- B. L. Green, A. T. Collins, C. M. Breeding - Diamond Spectroscopy, Defects Centers, Color, and Treatments, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry (2022) 88 (1): 637-688
- B. L. Green, A. M. Bennett, T. P. Mollart, S. Olsson-Robbie, Synthesis of thick single crystal diamond via chemical vapour deposition, WO2018087110A1
- J. R. Brandon, I. Friel, M. A. Cooper, G. A. Scarsbrook, B. L. Green, A microwave plasma reactor for manufacturing synthetic diamond material, WO2015193155A1
- Best Contributed Paper prize at the Rank Prize Fund symposium "Solid State Nano-Photonics for Quantum Science and Technology" (2017)
- Best Student Presentation at 64th Diamond Conference, Warwick, UK (2013)
- Corbett Prize for Outstanding Contribution by a Young Scientist, 26th International Conference for Defects in Semiconductors, Nelson, New Zealand (2011)
Department of Physics, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL
A0.25, Millburn House, Millburn Hill Road, University of Warwick Science Park, Coventry CV4 7HS
Tel: +44 (0)2476 573443
Email: b dot green at warwick dot ac dot uk