I am running a a science public engagement and outreach programme, entitled “It’s a matter of crystals”. As part of this project, I deliver workshops in schools, public libraries and at science events/fairs. The project “It’s a matter of crystals” aims to explain the importance of materials research, and particularly, the study of crystals, in daily life. I want to emphasise the fundamental research interest in the growth of single crystals of materials and to draw attention to the wide range of applications that crystals have in society and economy.
Events and activities
Here's a list with some of the recent public engagement, widening participation and outreach events and activities in which I have been involved.
- XMaS Science Gala (30th January 2019).
- XMaS Scientist Experience (1st-5th July 2018).
- XMaS Science Gala (31st January 2018).
Science Festivals & Family Days:
- Warwick Family Days (2nd December 2018).
- The Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair (13th-16th March 2018).
- Festival of the Imagination (16th-17th October 2015).
- The Times Cheltenham Science Festival (2nd-7th June 2015).
Widening Participation & Outreach:
- Sutton Trust Summer School @ University of Warwick (29th July-3rd Auguts 2018).
- "Molecules and Materials: Current research and curriculum links" @ University of Warwick (16th July 2018).
Press Release, News Article & Interview:
- Warwick Press Release: Science Gala 2019.
- Coventry Telegraph Article: Science Gala 2019.
- The world's most famous table: 150 years of Periodic Law.
- Short interviews in the Vic Minnett radio show (29th January and 19th February 2019) @ BBC Coventry & Warwickshire.
Read about my Public Engagement Story here.
I have received recognition for my public engagement, outreach and widening participation work through the nomination to the University Awards 2019, both in the individual and team nominations (as part of my contribution to the XMaS team).
Department of Physics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
+44 (0)24 765 22329
+44 (0)24 761 50897
M dot Ciomaga-Hatnean at warwick dot ac dot uk
A full list of my publications can be accessed here.
Public Engagement, Widening Participation and Outreach
A list with some recent activities/events in which I was involved can be accessed here.
Read about my 2018 Public Engagement Story here.
Follow me on Twitter