In This Section:
|Year 1 MathStat|
|Year 2 MathStat|
|Year 3 BSc MathStat|
|Year 3 MMathStat|
|Year 4 MMathStat|
2.9 Year 4 MMathStat Course Regulations
Loading / Requirements
The minimum and normal load is 120 CATS.
The maximum load is 150 CATS.
Students must take the core module and, in addition, students must select at least 45 CATS from List A and an appropriate number of modules from List A, Optional Modules and Unusual Options to reach the minimum load.
Students must take, over their third and fourth years, at least 210 CATS of level 3+ modules including at least 120 CATS of level 4+ modules. At least 90 CATS of level 4+ modules must be taken in the fourth year. (NB: Level 3+ should be interpreted as: xx3xx, xx4xx, xx5xx, xx9xx. Level 4+ should be interpreted as:- xx4xx, xx5xx, xx9xx)
Students entering in 20/21 and later will not be permitted to take level 2 modules in their fourth year.
It is not permitted to;
- take more than 30 CATS of unusual options
- take more than two of ST906, ST909 and ST958
- take more than one of ST339, EC333 and IB253
- take more than one of ST339 and IB254
- take more than one of EC334 and IB254
- take the level 3 and level 4 version of the same module
Other module restrictions may also apply as specified in module information pages.
Any modules not listed (including foreign languages) are classed as Unusual Options and permission to take these modules must be obtained with a completed Unusual Option form submitted to the support office by the specified deadline. Unusual options do not count, under any circumstances, towards required CATS described in the course regulations for Core Modules, Optional Modules or letter Lists (e.g. List A, List B etc.). Further information about Unusual Options and deadlines can be found in section 3.4 of the handbook.
|Module Code||Module Name||CATS||Term|
|ST415||Statistics Masters Dissertation||30||1 - 3|
Listed modules are subject to change from year to year and some modules may be subject to availability / module pre-registration.
Optional modules are subject to change from year to year and some modules may be subject to availability / module pre-registration.
|Module Code||Module Name||CATS||Term|
|CS301||Complexity of Algorithms||15||1|
|CS356||Approximation and Randomised Algorithms||15||2|
|CS402||High Performance Computing||15||2|
|CS404||Agent Based Systems||15||2|
|EC301||Mathematical Economics 2: Dynamics, Uncertainty & Asymmetrical Information||15||2|
|EC306||Econometrics 2: Time Series||15||2|
|EC307||Macroeconomic Policy in the EU||15||2|
|EC314||Topics in Economic Theory||15||2|
|EC331||Research in Applied Economics||30||1 & 2|
|EC333||Topics in Financial Economics: Theories and International Finance||15||1|
|EC334||Topics in Financial Economics: Corporate Finance and Markets||15||2|
|EC338||Econometrics 2: Microeconometrics||15||1|
|EC341||Mathematical Economics 2: Mechanism Design and Alternative Games||15||1|
|IB253||Principles of Finance 1||15||1|
|IB254||Principles of Finance 2||15||2|
|IB349||Operational Research in Strategic Planning||15||1|
|IB352||Applied Optimisation Methods||15||2|
|IB3A7||The Practice of Operational Research||15|
|IB3J2||Decision Making Under Uncertainty||15||1|
|IB3J3||Mathematical Game Theory||15||1|
|IB408||Operational Research in Strategic Planning with Advanced Topics||15||1|
|IB410||Mathematical Game Theory with Advanced Topics||15||1|
|IB411||Decision Making under Uncertainty with Advanced Topics||15||1|
|MA249||Algebra II: Groups and Rings||12||2|
|MA256||Introduction to Systems Biology||6||3|
|MA261||Differential Equations: Modelling and Numerics||12||2|
|ST335||Finance and Financial Reporting||15||1|
Notes on Course Regulations
- All fourth year students have to complete a dissertation and it is required to pass the dissertation module for a MMathStat Degree.
- The Pathways in MMathStat webpage warwick.ac.uk/pathwaysmathstat/ illustrates pathways for a number of different specialisations. Please note these are suggestive only.
- Certain third and final year options have prerequisites which are not in the compulsory component of the second year. It is the responsibility of each student to be in a position to understand the modules chosen.
- It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that the modules they are following are permitted — either because the modules are given explicitly as options by the regulations or because permission has been sought and granted by filling in an unusual option form.
- You are not allowed to take both the level 3 and level 4 version of the same module, e.g. ST323 Multivariate Statistics in Year 3 and then ST412 Multivariate Statistics with Advanced Topics in Year 4, or ST343 Topics in Data Science in Year 3 and ST419 Advanced Topics in Data Science in Year 4.
Fourth Year Learning Outcomes
After completing the third and fourth year of the integrated Masters degree the students will have:
- Developed skills in formulating and solving both abstract and applied problems, and in presenting cogent and logical arguments.
- Developed a strong background in at least one specialism, thus providing a basis for further study or employment in related fields.