Please read our student and staff community guidance on COVID-19
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Lectures and Tutorials

Handbook Contents

1 General Information
2 Course Regulations and Progression
3 Module Selection and Course Transfers
4 Teaching, Learning and Study
5 Examinations and Assessment
6 Pastoral Care and Support
7 Student Voice
8 Careers and Personal Development
9 University Information

4.1 Lectures and Tutorials

The main form of teaching is the traditional lecture course. Lectures are usually very condensed and you are unlikely to understand everything the lecturer does at the time. As a result, most lecture courses in the first two years are supplemented by tutorials, supervisions, seminars or classes (the name varies according to the department concerned). Because the number of students in each group is usually quite small, these tutorials form your main opportunity for asking questions and clearing up difficulties If you still have questions, you can ask the lecturer directly during their office hours.

For first year students the Mathematics Department arranges supervisions of one hour per week with a research student. These supervisions cover all Mathematics courses. For other courses and departments, the arrangements are usually made by individual lecturers.

The lecturing style in Economics is somewhat different from that of other departments. Background reading and the preparation of additional notes which amplify and explain the lectures are usually essential.

Only around 25 percent of your study time is spent in lectures and tutorials. The remaining 75 percent is for independent study. Its impossible to overstate how important this time, that you spend working on your own or with friends, is to developing your understanding of the material. Lecturers usually provide additional material (exercise sheets, extra reading) and working through this is essential.

If you leave this work to the end of the year, you will find when revising that you are unable to prepare properly for the exam because you will not have developed the necessary understanding and skills. A loose analogy is that the exams are the equivalent to running a marathon, and if you haven’t spent the year training properly then you will not have developed the fitness that is necessary to do well in the race.

Tutorial / Seminar Sign Up

For many tutorials / seminars you will be able to self-manage the group that you are allocated to . You will receive an email from Tabula notifying you that you are able to sign up to a group. You can follow a link from the email or you can navigate to the sign up page by going to The group name may contain details about the timing of the sessions.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not have clashes with self-sign up groups. Please note that groups that are allocated by self-sign up are first come-first served so it is worthwhile signing up as soon as you receive the email. If you cannot find a session with available space that does not clash with other scheduled teaching sessions please contact the support office (this does not apply for extra-curricular activities or non-preferred timing).

If you wish to change group you can often self-manage this in Tabula. However if you have handed in work with a cover sheet naming a different supervisor and the work has not yet been returned to you please email your old supervisor, new supervisor and the support office (for the Department delivering the module) to notify them of the change. If the function to self-manage changing groups is not enabled please contact the support office for the Department delivering the module, however please note that you may not be permitted to change groups.