Throughout the 2020-21 academic year, we will be adapting the way we teach and assess your modules in line with government guidance on social distancing and other protective measures in response to Coronavirus. Teaching will vary between online and on-campus delivery through the year, and you should read the additional information linked on the right hand side of this page for details of how this will work for this module. The contact hours shown in the module information below are superseded by the additional information.You can find out more about the University’s overall response to Coronavirus at: https://warwick.ac.uk/coronavirus.
ST344-15 Professional Practice of Data Analysis
This module runs in Term 1 and is only available to students with their home department in Statistics.
The student numbers on this module are strictly limited to 50 and pre-registration will be required.
Please see http://go.warwick.ac.uk/ST344 for preregistration information and selection criteria.
The module will introduce students to statistical problem solving and the statistical investigative cycle from problem formulation to the communication of conclusions. Students will be trained in teamwork, leadership and communication/presentation skills.
Broadly speaking, the intention of this module is to complement the more specialized and/or technical modules that our students take, by emphasising the skills needed to translate technical knowhow into professional practice.
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
- The statistical investigative cycle
- Data collection and quality
- Exploratory analysis of data
- Data analysis and visualisations using R
- Oral presentations and academic writing skills
- Writing for a non-specialist audience
- Teamwork, leadership and (multinational) communication
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Understand the elements of a statistical investigative cycle
- Perform a statistical investigation for a simple problem
- Produce numerical and graphical output from R to support a statistical investigation
- Communicate the results of a statistical analysis in a written report and online
- Understand approaches to and issues in teamwork, leadership and communication
- Work effectively in a collaborative team
Indicative reading list
Subject specific skills
|Lectures||5 sessions of 2 hours (4%)|
|Project supervision||4 sessions of 30 minutes (1%)|
|Supervised practical classes||6 sessions of 1 hour (2%)|
|Online learning (independent)||16 sessions of 1 hour (6%)|
|Private study||116 hours (44%)|
|Assessment||112 hours (43%)|
Private study description
Weekly recommended and wider reading, data analysis, group meetings and preparation for group activities.
No further costs have been identified for this module.
You do not need to pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Assessment group A1
|Reflective writing on teamwork experience||10%||5 hours|
Due in Term 2 Week 3.
|Laboratory Report 1||2%||4 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 2.
|Laboratory Report 2||2%||4 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 3.
|Laboratory Report 3||2%||4 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 4.
|Laboratory Report 4||2%||4 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 5.
|Laboratory Report 5||2%||4 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 6.
|Group Project Plan||5%||4 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 5.
|Group Project Report||35%||30 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 9
|Online Portfolio||30%||50 hours|
Due in Term 2 Week 9.
|Group Oral Presentation||10%||3 hours|
Due in Term 1 Week 10
Assessment group R
|Reassessment as an individual project||100%|
This is an individual project replacing any parts of the module that need to be reassessed.
Feedback on assessment
Grades and feedback will be returned online within 20 working days of the submission deadline.
Laboratory reports and the group project plan will normally be given feedback within 5 working days.
This module is Core for:
- Year 3 of USTA-G304 Undergraduate Data Science (MSci)
This module is Optional for:
USTA-G300 Undergraduate Master of Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics and Economics
- Year 3 of G300 Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics
- Year 4 of G300 Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics
This module is Option list A for:
- Year 3 of USTA-G302 Undergraduate Data Science
- Year 4 of USTA-G303 Undergraduate Data Science (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-G1G3 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (BSc MMathStat)
- Year 4 of USTA-G1G4 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (BSc MMathStat) (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-GG14 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (BSc)
- Year 4 of USTA-GG17 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-Y602 Undergraduate Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics and Economics
This module is Option list B for:
- Year 3 of USTA-G300 Undergraduate Master of Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics and Economics
- Year 3 of USTA-G301 Undergraduate Master of Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics and Economics (with Intercalated