Important: This module is only available to students on four year degrees MMORSE and MMathStat in the Department of Statistics.
Prerequisite(s): ST218/219 Mathematical Statistics A&B, ST221 Linear Statistical Modelling.
Commitment: 3 lectures/week, 6 hours of computer practicals, poster session.
This module runs in Term 2.
Aims: To introduce the art of statistical model-building and to give practice in team work, in communication and presentation skills, and in writing a report on a statistical investigation.
At the end of the module, students will
- be able to build, interpret and evaluate a statistical model for a real data set;
- have gained experience of working in a team on a statistical investigation;
- have practiced their oral and written presentation skills.
- Modelling Strategies for multiple regression on real data
- Diagnostic analysis for statistical linear models using R
- Extensions to the classic linear statistical model
- Generalized linear models
- Communication, teamwork and leadership
- Oral presentation and academic writing skills
- J Faraway (2002): Practical Regression and ANOVA using R.
- J. Fox and S.Weisberg (2002): An R Companion to Applied Regression. Springer.
Assessment: 100% by coursework (involving the use of R). 70% of the coursework will be due during Term 2 and partly be based on group work as well as oral and written presentations. Please ensure to allow sufficient time in Term 2 to be able to meet regularly with your group and complete the coursework.
The final piece of coursework will be an individual project with a deadline in Term 3. The coursework will require electronic submission and may be checked for plagiarism via Turnltln UK.
Deadline: The deadlines refer to the written component of the coursework. Dates for the oral presentations will differ from student to student. Exact dates will be agreed with the students at the start of term.
Assignment 1 (35%): 5% individual work with deadline Term 2 week 5
30% group work with deadline Term 2 week 5 + poster session week 6
Assignment 2 (35%): 5% individual work with deadline Term 2 week 8
30% group work with deadline Term 2 week 8 + oral presentation weeks 9 and 10
Assignment 3 (30%): individual work with deadline Term 3 week 2.
Feedback: Coursework with deadline in Term 2: feedback within 20 working days of deadline. Coursework with deadline in Term 3: module mark reported after the exam board.