Welcome to the News and Events page for the Department of Statistics.
The Department of Statistics has been granted Athena Swan's Silver Award. This recognises the advances the department has made supporting achievement and career progression for all, especially women
The Athena Swan Charter is an international framework to support and transform gender equality within higher education (HE) and research. It was established in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment. The Charter is now used more broadly, to address barriers to progression that affect all under represented groups in HE.
Previously the department held a Bronze Award which showed its initial investment into consideration of gender equality. The Silver Award celebrates the departments progress in identifying and tackling inequalities.
The Statistics Department has signed up to the Athena Swan Charter by:
1) Working towards gender equality and an equitable working environment for students, academics and support staff.
2) Carrying out a self-assessment to identify areas of good practice alongside areas for improvement.
3) Taking forward an action plan covering a range of issues such as recruitment, training, mentoring and flexible working patterns.
4) Being committed to encouraging more female representation among undergraduate and postgraduate students, supporting improved progression of women into academia.
5) Committing ourselves to share good practice with other departments and institutions, which is a key element in aiming for the Gold Award.
The Silver Award is valid until at least August 2026.