I am currently a final year PhD student at the University of Warwick, after joining the Department of Statistics in September 2014. I work under the supervision of Dr. Nikos Zygouras.
My research interests lie in Probability Theory, with particular emphasis on probabilistic models arising in statistical physics and natural sciences in general, such as: random polymers, percolation, stochastic growth models, interacting particle systems. I am also interested in connections with combinatorics, random matrices and representation theory.
More in detail, I am now working on some directed random polymer models in a log-gamma distributed disorder. Such models are (expected to be) exactly solvable, because there are explicit formulas characterising the distribution of the partition function in terms of special functions, called Whittaker functions, which are analogous to Schur polynomials in the zero-temperature case. This helps obtain the free energy asymptotic distribution of the polymer model.
Publications and preprints
- E. Bisi and N. Zygouras. GOE and Airy2→1 marginal distribution via symplectic Schur functions. To appear in Springer's volume for Varadhan's 75th birthday. [arXiv:1711.05120].
- E. Bisi and N. Zygouras. Point-to-line polymers and orthogonal Whittaker functions. Trans. Am. Math. Soc. (to appear). [arXiv:1703.07337].
- E. Bisi, F. Melzani, and V. Zaccaria. Symbolic analysis of higher-order side channel countermeasures. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 66(6), June 2017, pp. 1099-1105. [IEEE Xplore].
- 21/06/2018 - Randomness and Symmetry workshop, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University College Dublin (invited talk).
- 08/05/2018 - Young researchers' meeting, Department of Statistics, University of Warwick: ''A central limit theorem for point-to-line last passage percolation".
- 13/04/2018 - UK Easter Probability meeting, University of Sheffield: "Point-to-line last passage percolation via symplectic Schur functions".
- 28/11/2017 - School of Mathematics and Statistics, University College Dublin: “Point-to-line log-gamma polymers”.
- 07/11/2017 - Mathematical physics and probability seminar, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick: "Point-to-line polymers and orthogonal Whittaker functions".
- 31/10/2017 - Mathematical physics and probability seminar, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick: "Point-to-line last passage percolation via symplectic Schur functions".
- 07/06/2017 - Young Researchers' Meeting, Department of Statistics, University of Warwick: "Assessing the vulnerability of cryptographic countermeasures".
- 10/05/2017 - Postgraduate seminar, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick: "Point-to-line polymers and orthogonal Whittaker functions".
- 29/11/2016 - PhD open day, Department of Statistics, University of Warwick: "A few probabilistic models from the KPZ universality class".
- 23/06/2015 - Young Researchers' Meeting, Department of Statistics, University of Warwick: "Exact Solvability in Directed Random Polymer Models".
- I have been a teaching assistant for Mathematics and Statistics undergraduate modules at Warwick:
- 2017-2018, term 2: ST318 - Probability Theory
- 2017-2018, term 1: ST208 - Mathematical Methods
- 2016-2017, term 2: ST318 - Probability Theory
- I was awarded the prize Giving to Warwick 2017 for an "outstanding contribution by PhD students to the Statistics's Department's teaching programme", based on students' feedback.
- Together with Nikos Zygouras and Kutlwano Bashe, I ran the sessions called "Probability in Statistical Physics" in the higher education outreach Science and survival for year 9 students from Coventry and Warwickshire schools (University of Warwick, 10/07/2017).
- I gave a lecture in Stochastic processes standing in for Nikos Zygouras (University of Warwick, 13/01/2016).
- Over the past few years, I have given private classes of Mathematics to high school and undergraduate students.
Presentations in reading groups
- Talk at Probability reading group, University of Warwick: "Introduction to first passage percolation" (09/10/2017).
- Departmental seminar series in term 1, 2016/2017:
- "Fredholm determinants and Pfaffians" (31/10/2016).
- "Point-to-line last passage percolation" (14/11/2016).
- Departmental seminar series in term 2, 2015/2016 (see and ):
- "Representations and characters of finite groups" (19/02/2016);
- "Weyl's construction: representations of symmetric and linear groups" (26/02/2016);
- "Semisimple Lie algebras and their representations" (04/03/2016);
- "Weyl character formula for semisimple Lie algebras" (08/03/2016).
- Talk at Probability reading group, University of Warwick: "Introduction to loop measures" (21/01/2016).
- Talk at Probability reading group, University of Warwick: "Properties and estimates of the critical probability for Bernoulli percolation on graphs" (22/10/2015).
- Departmental seminar series in term 1, 2014/2015:
- "Robinson–Schensted–Knuth (RSK) correspondence" (04/11/2014);
- "RSK and Last Passage Percolation model" (10/11/2014);
- "Gelfand-Tsetlin patterns, Schur polynomials and Vandermonde determinants" (20/11/2014).
Conferences and research schools
- Randomness and Symmetry. University College Dublin (Ireland), 18-22 June 2018.
- 2018 UK Easter Probability meeting. Sheffield (UK), 9-13 April 2018.
- Discrete Models and KPZ Universality. Durham (UK), 18 October 2017.
- Qualitative Methods in KPZ Universality. Marseille (France), 24-28 April 2017.
- 46th Probability Summer School. Saint Flour (France), 03-15 July 2016.
- Probabilistic models - from discrete to continuous. Warwick, 29/03 - 02/04 2016.
- Developments in Modern Probability. LMS-CMI Research School. Oxford, 6-10 July 2015.
- Random Polymers and Algebraic Combinatorics. Oxford, 25-29 May 2015.
- 2011 - 2013, M.Sc. in Mathematics, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca (Italy). Dissertation under the supervision of Dr. Francesco Caravenna: Large Deviations. Final mark: 110/110 cum laude.
- 2012 - 2013, Erasmus programme, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain).
- 2008 - 2011, B.Sc. in Mathematics, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca (Italy). Dissertation under the supervision of Prof. Lino Di Martino: Composition algebras. Final mark: 110/110 cum laude.
- From April to September 2014 I worked as a research intern at STMicroelectronics, Agrate Brianza (Italy), in the Advanced System Technology security group. I worked on the security of symmetric-key cryptographic algorithms such as AES, with special attention to high order Boolean masking schemes designed to thwart side channel attacks (e.g. Correlation Power Analysis).
- Acting. I am a member of the theatre company Ronzinante, Merate (Italy). I have joined young and amateur theatre festivals. Our last production is Tre giorni a Beslan and deals with the Beslan school massacre.
- Language learning. I love studying languages. I speak Italian, Spanish, English and a little bit of French.
C1.14, Zeeman building
Department of Statistics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL