I am a member of Sascha Ott's group, which is now within the Zeeman institute (SBIDER) at Warwick, where I have been funded by BBSRC to provided bioinformatics support for a number of research projects within the school of Life Sciences and beyond. Organisationally I am within the dept of Computer Science. I am alse employed as a post-doctoral researcher within the Applied Water Physics theme at Wetsus in the Netherlands.
My current projects are:
- Evaluation of the role of Rgs7 as a key regulator of signalling pathways controlling adipocyte function with Mark Christian
- Investigating anti-tumour t-cell responses in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma to refine vaccine-based Immunotherapies with Professor Paul Murray at the University of Birmingham
Previous projects, for which funding has finished but where I continue to provide support include:
- Development of LiBiNorm with Dr Daniel Hebenstreit within Life Sciences
- Systems medicine of chronic inflammatory bowel disease (Sysmed IBD) (EU contract 305564)
- Analysis of the mechanism for coupled transition in cellular virus mRNAs, with Professor Andrew Easton and Phillip Gould.
- Unr – master regulator of mRNA translation, with Dr Emma Anderson.
- Early pregnancy loss with Professor Jan Brosens
- N. P. Dyer, V. Shahrezaei, and D. Hebenstreit (2019), "LiBiNorm: an htseq-count analogue with improved normalisation of Smart-seq2 data and library preparation diagnostics" PeerJ, 7: p. e6222
- Adams, S., J. Grundy, S. R. Veflingstad, N. P. Dyer, M. A. Hannah, S. Ott and I. A. Carré (2018) "Circadian control of abscisic acid biosynthesis and signalling pathways revealed by genome-wide analysis of LHY binding targets." New Phytologist
- Ruth Brignall, Pierre Cauchy, Sarah L. Bevington, Bethany Gorman, Angela O. Pisco, James Bagnall, Christopher Boddington, William Rowe, Hazel England, Kevin Rich, Lorraine Schmidt, Nigel P. Dyer, Mark A. Travis, Sascha Ott, Dean A. Jackson, Peter N. Cockerill and Pawel Paszek. (2017), "Integration of Kinase and Calcium Signaling at the Level of Chromatin Underlies Inducible Gene Activation in T Cells" The Journal of Immunology.
- E. S. Lucas, N. P. Dyer, K. Fishwick, S. Ott, and J. J. Brosens (2016), "Success after failure: the role of endometrial stem cells in recurrent miscarriage" Reproduction, 152(5): p. R159-R166
- A. Reiman, S. Pandey, K. L. Lloyd, N. Dyer, M. Khan, M. Crockard, M. J. Latten, T. L. Watson, I. A. Cree, and D. K. Grammatopoulos (2016), "Molecular testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia-associated mutations in a UK-based cohort: development of an NGS-based method and comparison with multiplex polymerase chain reaction and oligonucleotide arrays" Annals of Clinical Biochemistry: An international journal of biochemistry and laboratory medicine, 53(6): p. 654-662
- Emma S Lucas, Nigel P Dyer, Keisuke Murakami, Yie Hou Lee, Yi-Wah Chan, Giulia Grimaldi, Joanne Muter, Paul J Brighton, Jonathan D Moore, Gnyaneshwari Patel, Jerry K Y Chan, Satoru Takeda, Eric W-F Lam, Siobhan Quenby, Sascha Ott & Jan J Brosens (2015) "Loss of endometrial plasticity in recurrent pregnancy loss" Stem Cells. DOI: 10.1002/stem.2222
This work was covered by the national BBC news and was also in a number of national newspapers.
- N. Dyer, L. Young, and S. Ott (2016), "Artifacts in the data of Hu et al" Nat Genet, 48(1): p. 2-3.
- P. S. Gould, N. P. Dyer, W. Croft, S. Ott, and A. J. Easton (2014), "Cellular mRNAs access second ORFs using a novel amino acid sequence-dependent coupled translation termination-reinitiation mechanism" RNA, 20(3): p. 373-81. (4)
- Laura Baxter, Aleksey Jironkina, Richard Hickmana, Jay Moore, Christopher Barrington, Peter Krusche, Nigel P. Dyer, Vicky Buchanan-Wollaston, Alexander Tiskin, Jim Beynon, Katherine Denby and Sascha Otta (2012) "Conserved Noncoding Sequences Highlight Shared Components of Regulatory Networks in Dicotyledonous Plants" Plant Cell (25)
- Dyer, Nigel (2011) Informative sequence-based models for fragment distributions in ChIP-seq, RNA-seq and ChIP-chip data. PhD thesis, University of Warwick.
- Hashem Koohy, Nigel P Dyer, John E Reid, Georgy Koentges and Sascha Ott (2010) "An Alignment-Free Model for Comparison of Regulatory Sequences" Bioinformatics (10)
Hui Jiang, Fan Wang, Nigel P. Dyer, and Wing Hung Wong (2010) "CisGenome Browser: A flexible tool for genomic data visualization" Bioinformatics (20)
Sánchez-Romero MA, Stephen J.W. Busby SJW, Dyer NP et al (2010) "Dynamic distribution of SeqA protein across the chromosome of Escherichia coli K-12" mBio (22)
Reid, J., K. Evans, et al (2010). "Variable structure motifs for transcription factor binding sites." BMC Genomics 11(1): 30. (16)
- Dyer N.P.(2009) "Tubulin and its prokaryotic homologue FtsZ: a structural and functional comparison" Science Progress Volume 92, Number 2, 113-137(25) (5)
Poole S.J., Surace G., Singh B., Dyer N.P. (1988) "A CMOS subscriber line audio processing circuit including adaptive balance" IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems vol 2 1931-34 (24)
Other acknowledged work
- Credit for contributions to HISAT2 software
- Acknowledgement in "Possible Further Evidence for the Thixotropic Phenomenon of Water"
In 2007, after 25 years working in the Telecoms industry (working on the same product, System X,for almost all of that time) I took voluntary redundancy from Ericsson, and completed a 4 year MSc/PhD within MOAC before moving on to take up a position within the Systems Biology Centre at Warwick, and then a position in Life Sciences
More details as to how I came to make such a radical career move.