Centre for Imaging, Metrology and Additive Technologies
Based in our International Manufacturing Centre, CIMAT hosts our Metrology, and Additive Layer Manufacturing capabilities. We have a wide range of scanning technologies for the 3D characterisation and validation of complex internal and external architectures, including high resolution laser scanning, micro-CT and advanced 3D visualisation. Our additive technologies capabilities include the development and application of advanced functional metallic and multi-material solutions for exploitation in the high value manufacturing sector.
We have a proven track record with a diverse range of partners, finding solutions to real challenges which have a tangible impact on society. By bringing non-destructive characterisation and additive technologies manufacturing together, we are bridging the gap from prototyping to mass low-volume technology.
Key research themes
- Digital prototyping
- Optimisation and application of CT for characterisation of complex internal structures
- Development of in-line metrology processes
- 3D visualisation of, and interaction with, both digital design and captured scan data
- Development and validation of additive technologies in new and advanced applications
- New materials and additive technology process development
- New additive technology enabled business models