WMG was founded by Professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya in 1980 to help reinvigorate UK manufacturing.
Our mission has been to improve the competitiveness of organisations through the application of value adding innovation, new technologies and skills deployment, bringing academic rigour to industrial and organisational practice.
Today, we have grown into an international role model for how universities and business can successfully work together.
- Founded by Professor Lord Bhattacharyya: the first Professor of Manufacturing, and the first Manufacturing Group at a UK university.
- Working on R&D to solve challenges alongside partners in automotive and aerospace
- Launch of the Integrated Graduate Development Scheme: a modular Master's degree for industry professionals as well as full-time students
- Rapid expansion into the construction, defence, pharmaceutical, and telecommunications sectors
- Launch of the Engineering Doctorate (EngD) programme
- First postgraduate programmes to be offered overseas, starting with Hong Kong PolyU and the Confederation of Indian Industry
- Embracing the services sector, including digital technologies, healthcare, finance, rail
- Awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize for Education
- Unique facilities established for the energy, connected and autonomous vehicles, and cyber security sectors
- Launch of Degree Apprenticeship programmes in Engineering
- WMG Academy for Young Engineers created in Coventry and also Solihull