Our Energy Innovation Centre
Energy Innovation is a major area of growth, not just for WMG, but for industry globally. Our Energy Innovation Centre is a national facility for battery research across the entire R&D process, from materials and electrochemistry through to application, integration, and recycling / re-use.
Our research priorities are focused on ways that we can move towards a more sustainable and resilient system for key areas including transportation, manufacturing and grid storage.
Our work spans capabilities including advanced propulsion systems and intelligent mobility. The technology is transferable to aerospace, light rail, marine, defence and other sectors.
We are also lead partners in the UK Battery Industrialisation Centre, a major national initiative with Coventry City Council, and Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership, opening in 2020.
What will you be doing?
If you choose the Energy Innovation pathway you will have the opportunity to:
- Undertake research and development activities that encompass the full cycle of developing new battery chemistries, process scale-up, characterisation, testing and analysis.
- Conduct innovative research and development activities in the fields of electric motors, power electronics and energy management.
- Work alongside and learn from the experience of our technicians, doctoral students, project managers and research engineers.
- Work on the development of battery modules, and their assembly into a system, ensuring it meets pack production criteria. Help deliver practical, reliable and economical systems for industry partners, contributing to design, manufacture and testing.
- Work on the application of battery technologies in electric and hybrid vehicles or machines.
- Contribute to collaborative commercial projects with industry partners to produce project demonstrators.
Is this for you?
This is very much a multidisciplinary area, so if you are expecting to graduate this summer with minimum 2:1 degree in Engineering, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics or Computer Science you would be able to contribute in a meaningful way.
Join the team and make a difference to mobility, industrial competitiveness, the more efficient use of energy resources, and reduced atmospheric pollution.
Want to know more?
To find out more about Energy Innovation at WMG, read about some of our projects and the people leading them here